Offseason Poll #2: Who will have a better season - Foegele or Yamamoto?

Which player will have a better season?

• Total voters

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I haven't got a clue about Foegele as I've never seen him play. But good luck!

I think Yamamoto will have a bounce-back, strong season. Hopefully he has been working on his shot, which looked increasingly like a muffin as last year went on.

I would like to see Yamamoto get some more PP-time. Even though he's tiny, he's somehow very effective in front of the net (which is also the only place he can score from!).

Lines maybe roll like this:

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Foegele - McLeod - Kassian

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I laughed at "Yamamoto has better hands"

The answer is Foegele. Expectedly NHL Intensity has worn Yama down and It wasn't just goals that weren't happening last season Yama was hardly getting shots. Don't get shots, you don't score. This is a player that has had a ton of puck luck and has only ever scored 20 goals. About 2-3 of those goals were own goals finished by the other team.

Wouldn't surprise me is Foegele sets a new high and knocks in 15 goals. If he even scores a dozen he wins this.
Yamamoto almost certainly has better hands than Foegele.

In the last 79 games (i.e., one season's worth), Yamamoto has 19 goals, 28 assists, and 47 points (and went +26). His shooting percentage in those games is 16.8%.

In the last 79 games, Foegele has 15 goals, 16 assists, and 31 points (and went +1). His shooting percentage in those 79 games in 11.2%.

If Foegele somehow earns PP time, or plays with McDavid or something, he might outscore Yamamoto marginally, but otherwise forget it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yamamoto almost certainly has better hands than Foegele.

In the last 79 games (i.e., one season's worth), Yamamoto has 19 goals, 28 assists, and 47 points (and went +26). His shooting percentage in those games is 16.8%.

In the last 79 games, Foegele has 15 goals, 16 assists, and 31 points (and went +1). His shooting percentage in those 79 games in 11.2%.

If Foegele somehow earns PP time, or plays with McDavid or something, he might outscore Yamamoto marginally, but otherwise forget it.
28 of Yamamoto's points came from a hot streak on a line with RNH - Drai - Yams, where their line was shooting like 18% on ice or something absurd.

They both had similar seasons of production last year, one was stapled to Draisaitl, the other played in Carolina.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
28 of Yamamoto's points came from a hot streak on a line with RNH - Drai - Yams, where their line was shooting like 18% on ice or something absurd.

They both had similar seasons of production last year, one was stapled to Draisaitl, the other played in Carolina.
Well, if Tippett doesn't start out-thinking himself (as he usually does after one loss), the RNH - Drai - Yams line will be a thing again next season.

Anyway, as I said, I haven't seen Foegele play so I'll reserve judgement until I do.

I do get a little annoyed with the Oiler fans' typical "whoever-is-new-and-different-must-be-great, and whoever-struggled-for-20-games-must-be-a-bum" line of reasoning. I hope Foegele suddenly becomes a 50-goal scorer, but since, in four seasons, he has surpassed 20 points once, it's very unlikely he's going to have better hands than, or outscore, Kailer Yamamoto.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Assuming Yamamoto finds his offense again, it's all him. If he's productive offensively, he's contributing in all situations.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well, if Tippett doesn't start out-thinking himself (as he usually does after one loss), the RNH - Drai - Yams line will be a thing again next season.

Anyway, as I said, I haven't seen Foegele play so I'll reserve judgement until I do.

I do get a little annoyed with the Oiler fans' typical "whoever-is-new-and-different-must-be-great, and whoever-struggled-for-20-games-must-be-a-bum" line of reasoning. I hope Foegele suddenly becomes a 50-goal scorer, but since, in four seasons, he has surpassed 20 points once, it's very unlikely he's going to have better hands than, or outscore, Kailer Yamamoto.
Kailer struggled for 56 games. and outside of a 28 game stretch, has struggled for the rest of his career.

Foegele had 18 5on5 points this year with far inferior linemates compared to Yamamoto's 16.

Foegele had a 1.6 p/60 with his Center being at 1.69 p/60.

Yamamoto had a 1.28 p/60 with his Center being at 2.64 p/60.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Exactly this. It screams outlier at this point unless Yama does something to prove otherwise. The line was getting some incredible puck luck as well.

Drai will improve players, not sure how this isn't noted. But he's helped by somebody that can get into scoring spots and hang around. Yama isn't that guy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kailer struggled for 56 games. and outside of a 28 game stretch, has struggled for the rest of his career.

Foegele had 18 5on5 points this year with far inferior linemates compared to Yamamoto's 16.

Foegele had a 1.6 p/60 with his Center being at 1.69 p/60.

Yamamoto had a 1.28 p/60 with his Center being at 2.64 p/60.

If you count both playoffs Yama has 8 goals in his last 64GP. Playing all his minutes with an MVP player. yeah, doesn't add up to all that much.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know who will have a better year but I can't be the only one who finds the strong contingent of "Trade Yamamoto" sentiment on this forum to be disturbing.
It seems to be a general theme with this place.
Young player gets glorified after a good pre-NHL career, young player shows a hint of struggles in the NHL, time to ship young player out.

This is not to say that he doesn't have some warts in his game, mainly lack of size for the style of game he plays, but the trade Yamamoto crowd are becoming way too loud this offseason.

My solution? Keep developing the young player who will likely be on a bargain contract for the next two years (something the Oilers desperately need) and maintain and build on the best forward depth they've had since ???

I know it's a crazy idea but it might be crazy enough to work to actually see through the development of homegrown talent.
If they can deal him for a clear upgrade (like a legit, young #1 goalie like Gibson for example or an upgrade at forward) then sure, but I don't think he holds that level of value currently.

With that said, this is a "prove it" year for Yamamoto if he wants to keep his standing in the top 6 because there's some real depth now and the prospects are coming.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't know who will have a better year but I can't be the only one who finds the strong contingent of "Trade Yamamoto" sentiment on this forum to be disturbing.
Young player gets glorified after a good pre-NHL career, young player shows a hint of struggles in the NHL, time to ship young player out.
Yep.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

This is not to say that he doesn't have some warts in his game, mainly lack of size for the style of game he plays, but the trade Yamamoto crowd are becoming way too loud this offseason.

My solution? Keep developing the young player who will likely be on a bargain contract for the next two years (something the Oilers desperately need) and maintain and build on the best forward depth they've had since ???

I know it's a crazy idea but it might be crazy enough to work to actually see through the development of homegrown talent.
If they can deal him for a clear upgrade (like a legit, young #1 goalie like Gibson for example or an upgrade at forward) then sure, but I don't think he holds that level of value currently.

With that said, this is a "prove it" year for Yamamoto if he wants to keep his standing in the top 6 because there's some real depth now and the prospects are coming.

We're moving into win now mode. If he wants too much money or we can upgrade somewhere else of need, I could see him being moved.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think it's more important that Yamamoto have a bounce back year. He's a young player that got smoked with some hard development reality and adversity. Personally, I hope that Yamamoto will start this season as a 3W energy player to build confident and work on his finishing skills on a support line where there's more margin to nurture consistency.

There's a tenacious, assertive player there. Will benefit with more size and assertiveness that's been added. I'm still unsure he can become a consistent offensive producer but Yamo is a good support piece.

Foegele sounds like he's bring the work ethic and aggressive puck hunting game this team sorely needs. I'm not sure that will necessarily translate into offensive production.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly I think Foegele is more than a little overrated. I think Yamo is a much better player... but hopefully Foegele has a decent season as well and the Oilers FINALLY have a solid middle six.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Yamo needs a big bounce back and then some. He was not effective in the playoffs both years. I'm not confortable with him yet, but willing to see what he's got this year.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I personally thought Yamamoto still had a strong season last year, but unfortunately he lost his scoring touch in the past 20-25 games. Whether he scores a lot or not, I just find him a really unique player. He's so clever checking opposition forwards and getting himself into good physical position, despite his size.

Whether or not he gets that scoring touch back is key to his future career. If he doesn't, he won't last long on the Drai-line and he'll become a really good third-line player. If he does, he's going to be a less-irritating Tikkanen-like 1st or 2nd line player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad