Offseason Poll #2: Who will have a better season - Foegele or Yamamoto?

Which player will have a better season?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Poll #1 is here:

Offseason Poll #1: Who will be more impactful/important to the Oilers next season - Hyman or RNH?

Poll #2 features two players who could be shifted up and down between the Top 6 and the bottom 6 all season long. Neither are likely to see much PP time, both may see some PK time, and both are going to be relied upon to play a high energy grinding game with skill.

Both players have issues with finishing and scoring. Foegele is bigger, Yamamoto probably has better hands. Both players had a regression year offensively last season. Foegele had 20 points in 53 games, Yamamoto had 21 in 52.

Who do you take? Define “better” however you want. More points, better contributions overall, etc.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its a tough one. Foegele put up near identical points playing with a good center but no where near close to Draisaitl.
Yamamoto had a down year from the previous.

Foegele will probably be what he has been a 20-30 point bottom 6 guy who can play top 6 fill minutes.

The question is...what is Yamamoto? Is he the same as Foegele as last year kind of showed? Or is he closer to his dominate near ppg self? Or somewhere in between.

Too close to call.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think it will be close and really depends on who ends up on the top 6 and who is on the 3rd line. Ideally both would be on the 3rd line but that won’t (and shouldn’t) happen.

Yamamoto has to be better than last year. I could also see Foegele having his best season and getting close to 40 points, which Yamamoto may struggle to do. Especially if he’s on the 3rd line

Reactions: Cloned

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think it will be close and really depends on who ends up on the top 6 and who is on the 3rd line. Ideally both would be on the 3rd line but that won’t (and shouldn’t) happen.

Yamamoto has to be better than last year. I could also see Foegele having his best season and getting close to 40 points, which Yamamoto may struggle to do. Especially if he’s on the 3rd line
If Kassian gets his energy back I could see a top 9 of

Hyman - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Foegele - McLeod - Yamamoto

Not that I think it should happen just that I could see it happening.

Reactions: Faelko and Oilhawks

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I say Yams, simply based on opportunity. Yams is likely our 2RW and it's his job to lose. He will have a long leash because Drai likes playing with him.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
like others have said this one is tough,

WE havent seen Foegele in an oilers jersey yet and we have seen 2 versions of yams the ppg one and the snakebit one.

If i have to bet points wise yams turns it around and gets in that .55-.65pt/gm range. there is risk he doesnt produce right away and gets replaced with Kassian or someone else but i feel good about yams and the role he can play.

Reactions: Cloned

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like Yamo lost some of that Honey Badger-ness that made him successful in his rookie year. He wasn't nearly as successful as winning board battles and grabbing loose pucks.

Foegele is a proven guy at doing those things, he can play RW(or Hyman can to open a LW spot) and he's going to be given every chance to succeed.

That makes me lean toward McLovin.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Foegele for me especially if he gets a top 6 bump. I still think that there is a real chance that Yamamoto gets moved this offseason or next.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

If Kassian ends up being good again (big if), that could actually be the best configuration of the top 9

Reactions: Faelko

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Draisaitl would give Connor a run for his $ for the Hart and Art Ross if that's how the lines shook out.
Maybe. I mean the year Draisaitl beat McDavid for the Hart he had RNH and Yamamoto looking all world while McDavid had Kassian and scraps? And even then, over 82 games only would of been ahead by 3 points. If we get pre contract Kassian back AND throw Hyman in there?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe. I mean the year Draisaitl beat McDavid for the Hart he had RNH and Yamamoto looking all world while McDavid had Kassian and scraps? And even then, over 82 games only would of been ahead by 3 points. If we get pre contract Kassian back AND throw Hyman in there?

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. I'd honestly have more faith is Koskinen bouncing back than Kass. Hopefully both show up and kick some ass but I'm definitely not expecting it.

Reactions: Porkleaker

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. I'd honestly have more faith is Koskinen bouncing back than Kass. Hopefully both show up and kick some add but I'm definitely not expecting it.
Im just holding hope that the fans will get him back into it.
I dream sometimes.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I don’t think Kassian is anywhere near capable of this anymore. Holloway if ready could maybe be that 2nd line option beside Draisaitl and RNH. Puljujarvi next to McDavid

Reactions: teddygmr

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Foegle will have a better season to his standards 30-35pts on 3rd line (massively important) and Yams will have 40-55pts on the 2nd line. Both great seasons, but 3rd line production is huge for the Oil now and forever and ever… amen

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still say Yamamoto. He had a down year, and I think that could shake him a bit to improve. I'm sure he must be kicking himself now, based on the kind of contract he's looking at signing.

The team defense has improved. I believe we will see a case of the rising tide lifting all boats. Yamamoto has more to gain than Foegele. All he needs to do is find his scoring touch again and his numbers could explode with McDavid or Draisaitl.

Foegele is a safer bet, but he's staying in the bottom six. He'll be a big help to the team but odds are, the ceiling is not high

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad