Speculation: Offseason Moves Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Near the end of the last thread I saw a lot of "but LA wouldn't make that deal" comments.

You want LA to make a deal? Take Mike Richards back in the trade. Suddenly all kinds of crazy deals seem plausible. :)

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Near the end of the last thread I saw a lot of "but LA wouldn't make that deal" comments.

You want LA to make a deal? Take Mike Richards back in the trade. Suddenly all kinds of crazy deals seem plausible. :)

Throw in Doughty and they have a deal

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008

That's a five year commitment with a 5.75M hit. Not entirely sure I'd be comfortable with that. However, if we use him a single year and then buy him out, it's only a 1.2M cap hit, albeit over eight years. Even an immediate buyout only raises it to 1.3M, but adds two extra years. It's a long time, but small enough that it might be a worthwhile sacrifice depending on who comes with him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Throw in Doughty and they have a deal

I'd deal Reinhart, Pulock, Nielsen, and either Nelson or Strome for Doughty and Richards. Not because I want Richards, but because Doughty is that good.

I don't know if that'd be enough though.:popcorn:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That's a five year commitment with a 5.75M hit. Not entirely sure I'd be comfortable with that. However, if we use him a single year and then buy him out, it's only a 1.2M cap hit, albeit over eight years. Even an immediate buyout only raises it to 1.3M, but adds two extra years. It's a long time, but small enough that it might be a worthwhile sacrifice depending on who comes with him.

Problem is when you make less money in a given year then your caphit, it actually makes the caphit worse in a buyout.

Using Yashin as an example, the final year of his deal he was getting paid something like 5.7M but his caphit was like 7.4M. Because his contract was front loaded we got dinged a 4.7M caphit that season(which we used to get over the cap sadly) although we were only paying him 2.2M

When Richards is getting paid 3M but has a 5.75M caphit that is probably going to be like 3.5M caphit that year

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Problem is when you make less money in a given year then your caphit, it actually makes the caphit worse in a buyout.

Using Yashin as an example, the final year of his deal he was getting paid something like 5.7M but his caphit was like 7.4M. Because his contract was front loaded we got dinged a 4.7M caphit that season(which we used to get over the cap sadly) although we were only paying him 2.2M

When Richards is getting paid 3M but has a 5.75M caphit that is probably going to be like 3.5M caphit that year

Pretty sure the buyouts just take the remaining $ and make it equal payments each year for twice the term.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Pretty sure the buyouts just take the remaining $ and make it equal payments each year for twice the term.

In terms of actual dollars yes, in terms of how much you get dinged on your caphit no.

Once again using the Yashin example, we paid him 2.2M for 8 years but the first 4 years of that buyout we got dinged 2M, 2M, 3.5M, 4.7M(then 2.2M for the remaining 4 years) due to the way his contract was structured

There is actually a case that if the contract is back loaded you can gain capspace in the years the actual salary is higher then the caphit.

Using Grabner as an example(5M salary/3M caphit), if we bought him out we would be dinged 1.667M a year for 2 years(3.33M total) in actual salary but the caphit for this year would be a 667k positive gain since we would be paying him 667K more then the caphit should be(1M)

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In terms of actual dollars yes, in terms of how much you get dinged on your caphit no.

Once again using the Yashin example, we paid him 2.2M for 8 years but the first 4 years of that buyout we got dinged 2M, 2M, 3.5M, 4.7M(then 2.2M for the remaining 4 years) due to the way his contract was structured

There is actually a case that if the contract is back loaded you can gain capspace in the years the actual salary is higher then the caphit.

Using Grabner as an example(5M salary/3M caphit), if we bought him out we would be dinged 1.667M a year for 2 years(3.33M total) in actual salary but the caphit for this year would be a 667k positive gain since we would be paying him 667K more then the caphit should be(1M)

That's true even after the most recent lockout? Interesting.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That's true even after the most recent lockout? Interesting.

I could be wrong but I assume the buyouts work the same as before

As I said Yashin buyout screwed us(but helped Wang's bottom line) due to it being front loaded and us getting dinged a higher caphit then we actually paid him for 2 seasons, a contract like Grabners(back loaded) works the opposite

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'd deal Reinhart, Pulock, Nielsen, and either Nelson or Strome for Doughty and Richards. Not because I want Richards, but because Doughty is that good.

I don't know if that'd be enough though.:popcorn:

Take out Pulock and that's a done deal :laugh:

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008

It's 2/3s of the remaining money. But he is right, there's some formula for figuring out the yearly wages. This page breaks it down.

http://capgeek.org/nhl-salary-cap-faq-how-do-buyouts-work/

Frankly the math makes my head hurt, but if what he says it's true, I don't see taking on Richard's contract to be a worthwhile risk.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's 2/3s of the remaining money. But he is right, there's some formula for figuring out the yearly wages. This page breaks it down.

Frankly the math makes my head hurt, but if what he says it's true, I don't see taking on Richard's contract to be a worthwhile risk.

I am guessing the Islanders would be more open to taking Richards contract if they were still a cap min team, less salary, higher caphit works perfectly to try squeak over the cap min.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I could be wrong but I assume the buyouts work the same as before

As I said Yashin buyout screwed us(but helped Wang's bottom line) due to it being front loaded and us getting dinged a higher caphit then we actually paid him for 2 seasons, a contract like Grabners(back loaded) works the opposite

Thanks guys, I was under the impression it changed, though I don't know why. Not the first time I'm wrong.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
Thanks guys, I was under the impression it changed, though I don't know why. Not the first time I'm wrong.

Making matters even worse, it's all but impossible to google right now, because anytime you look up "NHL buyout" you get nothing but pages on the compliance buyouts, which are completely different. :shakehead

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
LA is not trading Doughty just to get rid of Richards' contract & there's no shot Snow takes on that albatross of a contract.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am guessing the Islanders would be more open to taking Richards contract if they were still a cap min team, less salary, higher caphit works perfectly to try squeak over the cap min.

The only team I could see taking a flyer on him is a club with mostly young guys and issues meeting the floor for a long time. Since we are no longer that club, is anyone else?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The only team I could see taking a flyer on him is a club with mostly young guys and issues meeting the floor for a long time. Since we are no longer that club, is anyone else?

Probably not, although I could see the final 2 years if he is still an NHL level player somebody might take on his 3M salary In a cap dump trade(or a bad contract for bad contract type deal where LA gets a player that has a higher salary/lower caphit)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

According to Sabre fans , their owner is willing to take on crappy contracts if the other teams offers top , young talent in return. I am not sure if this is true.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
According to Sabre fans , their owner is willing to take on crappy contracts if the other teams offers top , young talent in return. I am not sure if this is true.

If that's the case, I'm sure Hextall hasn't gotten off the phone yet.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
If that's the case, I'm sure Hextall hasn't gotten off the phone yet.

I heard hextalls on the phone with snow right now. He's trying to figure out if he can pry strait away from the isles and sign him to a 5x5 deal.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
I heard hextalls on the phone with snow right now. He's trying to figure out if he can pry strait away from the isles and sign him to a 5x5 deal.

The Macdonald fiasco was Holmgren, not Hextall. We're not getting lucky twice.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The more and more I think about it, it's going to be a really quiet offseason. The only guarantees is that Snow will sign a backup goalie and that he'll re-sign the RFA's - Nelson, Lee, and Hickey. In Hickey's case, likely a 1-year deal. The biggest news will be if Okposo gets extended as well as Martin.

Assuming Petrov does indeed sign and comes over, we're going to see all the familiar faces during training camp. It should be an interesting camp though because certain jobs will be on the line and then I expect moves to be made before the season starts at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad