OT: Offseason Media for Time Killing 2018

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Just heard Yeo on ESPN radio give out a little info.

Tarasenko is feeling good and on the ice at the Mills. Yeo said he expects everyone in camp on day 1. Thomas and Fabbri expected to be ready, "Bo and Gunny might not be ready for contact" and they're waiting to hear from their respective doctors but both are expected to be on the ice.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Is it better for the team overall if one of those guys starts the year on IR (Bouwmeester or Gunnarson)?

Schmaltz is not waiver exempt any more, and could be snatched up. It would give the team more time to make a move on defense if they want to, or to determine if Schmaltz is worth losing someone else over.

Its that or what...trade Schmaltz? or either lose him for nothing or gamble that he passes through waivers?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Is it better for the team overall if one of those guys starts the year on IR (Bouwmeester or Gunnarson)?

Schmaltz is not waiver exempt any more, and could be snatched up. It would give the team more time to make a move on defense if they want to, or to determine if Schmaltz is worth losing someone else over.

Its that or what...trade Schmaltz? or either lose him for nothing or gamble that he passes through waivers?
Probably doesn't matter, we can start with 8 D if needed. I'm in the camp where I don't care if we lose Schmaltz. He's going to be 25 soon, and hasn't done much. You can say he's been blocked, but he also hasn't forced his way into more playing time.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Probably doesn't matter, we can start with 8 D if needed. I'm in the camp where I don't care if we lose Schmaltz. He's going to be 25 soon, and hasn't done much. You can say he's been blocked, but he also hasn't forced his way into more playing time.
That's probably likely, but it would come at the expense of a Forward. Probably Thorburn, but you could also look at it as stealing a chance for a guy like Kyrou or Kostin to stick around for a try-out. (I'd like them to send Thorburn down AND keep the full compliment of forwards so a young guy gets a look.)

With any luck Thorburn would get claimed off waivers. Maybe they can trade him to Pittsburgh for a 2nd.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Pretty underwhelmed by quality of the Fabbri article on The Athletic, here: Inside Blues forward Robby Fabbri's 'grueling' road to...

It didn't really provide an inside story at all as to his road to recovery, and the article could basically be summed up in 2 sentences: Fabbri decided to do something different and worked out with Nichol this offseason; it was grueling, and he doesn't feel or look out of place at the BioSteel camp.

That's basically it...

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Pretty underwhelmed by quality of the Fabbri article on The Athletic, here: Inside Blues forward Robby Fabbri's 'grueling' road to...

It didn't really provide an inside story at all as to his road to recovery, and the article could basically be summed up in 2 sentences: Fabbri decided to do something different and worked out with Nichol this offseason; it was grueling, and he doesn't feel or look out of place at the BioSteel camp.

That's basically it...

Welcome to modern sports journalism. Take a tweets worth of information and make it an article. Take an article's worth of story and make it a tweet.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Welcome to modern sports journalism. Take a tweets worth of information and make it an article. Take an article's worth of story and make it a tweet.

I was hoping the article would have delved into the type of exercises he performed and is performing, how much weight he was doing, what his nutrition was like, the ballerina/gymnast stuff, how fast he thought he was compared to 2 years ago on the ice, etc. - none of that was in there.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I appreciated so many direct quotes from Fabbri and his trainer. In the comments, it was implied that no one would go on the record about the prior recovery training regimen. You can read between the lines that they feel he was not guided well.

What I appreciate most is the description of his total commitment to the rehab, especially for a guy who has some questions historically. And secondly, the notion that he is outlifting some NHL players there training and looking ready on the ice next to his peers. I came away a lot more optimistic about the guy we get back.

Can you imagine if he’s ready to play with O’Reilly and Tarasenko on the top line?!

Reactions: The Note in MI

PizzaPietrangelo

Bluesily optimistic
Jan 14, 2017
London, UK

I can never help but think of Schmaltz's situation as nearly identical to that of Ian Cole. I know that Cole played in many more NHL games by age 25 than Schmaltz has, but they are both quality defensemen who have gotten 'blocked' by a stacked Blues roster.

Like it or not, Cole has gone on to win two championships and has become a serviceable top 4 two-way defenseman. Would we be a better team right now with Cole and Schmaltz instead of Bortuzzo and Gunnarsson, for example? I don't know, but it's interesting to consider the similarity between Cole's and Schmaltz's situations.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looking Maroon's many interviews at this off-season he's so excited/motional to be Blue note finally. There might lie a bit true playing hometown is huge factor for players. Lets hope its positive factor for Maroon and Blues.

Glad to see him so happy and be near to his family.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Maroon likes like he's in very good shape too.

I like having him on the roster. I think he will have a very fine season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad