GDT: Offseason GDT II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I had Forbort-Gravel paired together simply because they're familiar with each other from the AHL days, and both of their cap hits should be low. I doubt we'll see McNabb out of the lineup next year, but he can make awful decisions and is often too tentative with the puck. It seems like the game just passes him by like its too fast for him to process.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm actually surprised to see people ragging on McNabb hard enough that they have him penciled OUT of the lineup and have Forbort AND Gravel over him.

I was as hard on him as anyone but because he was miscast not because he is terrible.

The guy is already a good NHL d-man. You don't dump him out of the lineup for wildcards. He's up and coming with a high ceiling as well (lower than Gravel imo because of Gravel's IQ).
Yep, revisionist history to an extreme.

If anything, the team needs to cut ties with Greene and Scuderi. If the Kings need to move Martinez for a long term fix, like Barrie or Trouba, do it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm actually surprised to see people ragging on McNabb hard enough that they have him penciled OUT of the lineup and have Forbort AND Gravel over him.

I was as hard on him as anyone but because he was miscast not because he is terrible.

The guy is already a good NHL d-man. You don't dump him out of the lineup for wildcards. He's up and coming with a high ceiling as well (lower than Gravel imo because of Gravel's IQ).

Long term I would put Gravel over him definitely not for this season.
I am surprised to. I think McNabb is the type of D-man who can play anywhere up and down your pairings when needed, however you probably do not want him playing a ton of minutes.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Really did you forget which board you came to?:sarcasm::popcorn:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yep, revisionist history to an extreme.

If anything, the team needs to cut ties with Greene and Scuderi. If the Kings need to move Martinez for a long term fix, like Barrie or Trouba, do it.

Scuderi I hope will be waiver fodder. Once he clears (which he would) than his cap hit owuld only be $200K not a bad insurance policy.

Greene will be back as a 6/7. Too bad this was not his final year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Where do you put McNabb? On the third pair with Greene? Yeah, that'll work. He's not good enough to be a top 4 dman and the Kings don't have a dman who can babysit for his mistakes. Pairing two stiffs like McNabb and Greene is asking for trouble.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I hope they can make a Trouba deal without Pearson or Kempe. Anything else I'm good with (other than the core).

My preferred deal to the Jets: Martinez +Forbort +Shore+1st for Trouba and B. Lemieux/M. Spacek

Then roll with...

McNabb-Doughty
Muzzin-Trouba
Gravel-Schenn
Scuderi

Also try to pick up skilled UFA dman...Yandle.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

Yeah, seems a bit strange.

People do the same with Mersch and Kempe, slotting them in on Kopitars wing like its a given that they could perform over a season on the top line.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I hope they can make a Trouba deal without Pearson or Kempe. Anything else I'm good with (other than the core).

My preferred deal to the Jets: Martinez +Forbort +Shore+1st for Trouba and B. Lemieux/M. Spacek

Then roll with...

McNabb-Doughty
Muzzin-Trouba
Gravel-Schenn
Scuderi

Also try to pick up skilled UFA dman...Yandle.

Forbort and Shore are kind of throw ins until they prove a bit more (they probably hold more value to us)

I would have thought that the peg would be more likely to move Myers than Trouba (he'd also be a great add)

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Where do you put McNabb? On the third pair with Greene? Yeah, that'll work. He's not good enough to be a top 4 dman and the Kings don't have a dman who can babysit for his mistakes. Pairing two stiffs like McNabb and Greene is asking for trouble.

Greene won't play more then 20 games.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Forbort and Shore are kind of throw ins until they prove a bit more (they probably hold more value to us)

I would have thought that the peg would be more likely to move Myers than Trouba (he'd also be a great add)

Winnipeg fans said the need more LHD prospects and Center depth for the 3rd line

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With his skating, I say the ceiling is not very high...

In the grand scheme of things though skating is more fixable than other issues. I had a bigger issue with his pinching and some reads, which are issues amplified by skating because he can't cover for them. He has to think better, but he's shown the aptitude for it, just needs more experience. Muzzin is a similar skater--clompy and of average speed--yet he's very successful.

He showed tons of promise with Doughty early on, just fell apart over time with immense minutes.

If he tops out as a 2nd-pairing d-man, that's exactly what we had hoped for, is it not? We were projecting Voynov-McNabb. ANd I think he's a decent-to-good #4 now, never mind with more development. I think this year was excellent for him from a development standpoint, just not from a results standpoint, as in playing so much with Doughty he started getting exposed.

I just think it's funny that many on this board want to dump a dude who was learning on the job for not one but TWO more d-men who will be learning on the job especially when McNabb has shown more promise than either one.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was gonna ask if anyone had heard the insider trading because lol geoblocked.

Not surprised, Lucic would be massive in Edm, huge upgrade on Maroon and protection for all the youngsters.

WHat's defense?

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
So if McNabb takes on Greene's role as the resident anchor on defense, who'll be tasked to play with him? Doughty again?

Are the Kings winning the cup with Gravel & Forbort in the top 6 next year? No... why are you worried about where McNabb plays?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Are the Kings winning the cup with Gravel & Forbort in the top 6 next year? No... why are you worried about where McNabb plays?

Regardless of who is playing where, the Kings won't be contending for a Cup with this roster. They'll contend for a playoff spot perhaps. I see this team being closer to the product we saw in 2015.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Edmonton needs more forwards about as much as a hole in the head. If they sign him shows they really aren't learning. They need help on D.

would further free them up to deal a Pouliot/Eberle/RNH.

one of those three are gone anyway. If Lucic is singed i think two will be.

Edmonton's top two lines would have hall and lucic on the left side..we need help for our right side d.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
would further free them up to deal a Pouliot/Eberle/RNH.

one of those three are gone anyway. If Lucic is singed i think two will be.

Edmonton's top two lines would have hall and lucic on the left side..we need help for our right side d.

I would hope that would be their plan. But they have been mismanaged for so long who knows if they is what would happen. People were making offers for those and from the rumors they were way over valuing them.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
For Trouba or Barrie I'd offer...

Martinez/McNabb + Gravel/Forbort + N.Shore + 2017 1st

Martinez/McNabb?

That's like saying Toffoli/Clifford.

And while I'd love to get Trouba, a young RH d-man and Michigan Man, you have to figure that other teams will be able to outbid the Kings because Dean has already traded away so many of our trading chips for the Sekera and Lucic rentals.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
McNabb is a fine 5/6 Defender.

Also make fun of Greene all you want, but the Kings missed the things Greene does well; PK/Net clearing presence. The Kings failed to replace what Greene does well, and paid for it, all year, especially in the playoff's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad