Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I imagine the "power struggle" here is:

"I don't want to let them go, if you do I will not stay" and Dubas doesn't want Sullivan to go.

And the end of the day though, Dubas is the POHO. It's his decision. Firing the assistants is the most brain-dead, stupid, obvious decision this team has faced in quite a while. Firing Sullivan is the next most obvious. Maybe not as obvious as firing Bylsma and Shero but it's neck and neck.

The home run would be Sullivan moving on, and Cooper choosing to move on from TB and coming here. THAT would be most ideal.

I would think that Dubas is waiting on the inevitable TML collapse and for Keefe to come available (right or wrong). I think if Dubas knows he has a coach in place, I think that gives him the leverage he is looking for. I don't think "Oh yeah, go ahead and walk Mikey! I have Dave Hakstol on the phone!" is that strong of a threat. But if you can say "Yeah, see ya buddy, we're pivoting to Cooper", then yeah that's the mic drop moment.

Bringing Cooper and a guy like Marco Sturm would be a really great off-season. I really like the idea of Sturm because I think he helps give that players' coach perspective that offers good balance. Similar to what Tocchet was able to provide.
1. Just stop playing garbo vets in the bottom six

2. Learn how to do proper d-zone coverage, or d-zone coverage at a higher than PeeWee levels of awareness

3. Get in faces on PK

4. Get someone in the low slot on PP

5. And f***ing profit

Five steps to "rebuild" THIS team, on the fly
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

As much as we talk in this thread about coaches needing to taken out back and shot, Dubas has some work to do opening up roster slots for young guys. Or at least finding a coach who isn't just going to hand Nieto and Acciari slots when guys like Poulin and Ponomarov could provide more. That would be the added benefit of a new coach who has no ties and no loyalties to a couple of these guys.

Would you bring Vellucci back, if Sully and Reirden were gone? I'm kinda torn on this. The PK was 10th.
He also works with the Forwards. Kind of a mixed bag with results there. Encouraging signs with DOC and Puustinen. Bunting did great. Rust terrific.
I would consider it, but only if the other assistant was an alpha male type. Feel like that's sorely needed.
No I would not. I would not bring back ANY of the current coaching staff if I had the choice. Not necessarily because they are "bad" coaches but more because there needs to be a 100% fresh start and new perspectives. That is sooooooo desperately needed right now, I can't overstate it enough.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Would you bring Vellucci back, if Sully and Reirden were gone? I'm kinda torn on this. The PK was 10th.
He also works with the Forwards. Kind of a mixed bag with results there. Encouraging signs with DOC and Puustinen. Bunting did great. Rust terrific.
I would consider it, but only if the other assistant was an alpha male type. Feel like that's sorely needed.
I could go either way. If he's kept I'd probably switch him to running the D with him being a former defenseman. But there might be someone more specialized in that role than him, or just a new voice.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
There is no real argument to keep Vellucci if you're changing the rest of the staff.

Vellucci has no long-term ties with the organization that you want to preserve. And he doesn't have extensive history with any of the players.

There are only two reasonable paths forward: Either Sullivan returns on a very short leash with at least two new assistants, or a complete overhaul of the coaching staff.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I feel like keeping Vellucci is akin to keeping one of our okay tweeners. He’s fine, but really if there’s anyone remotely better you drop him instantly.

If I were keeping Vellucci around I’d keep him more as a developmental guy, given his success in the AHL and with young players, supposedly.

Reactions: Jacob

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd rather nuke the entire coaching staff and actually allow Dubas to shape the organization as he sees fit. They gave him a 7 year deal after all.
Yeah, I’m no big Dubas fan, but I think he deserves at least a chance to show what he can do. But he needs to sack up and do it.

Yeah for the same reasons I'd rather us move on from Harkins, Nieto, Acciari, Bemstrom, and Carter, I want to move away from Velluci, Reirden, and Sullivan.

No different than painting a room or getting rid of old clothes you no longer wear because it's not the 80s or 90s anymore.
You will have to pry the hyper color shirts out of my dead hands, bucko.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, I’m no big Dubas fan, but I think he deserves at least a chance to show what he can do. But he needs to sack up and do it.

You will have to pry the hyper color shirts out of my dead hands, bucko.
Somethings will never go out of style like wind pants, Jynco jeans, mullets, and ski blades. Other things like fanny packs, high waist "mom jeans", and blowout hair styles need to be recycled.

Course this is also coming from a guy who has a ton of historical personal memorabilia in an old school neon blue trapper keeper and wears the same pants (same pants make and model, multiple pairs) day in and day out.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Dreger is reporting that Carolina and Brind’Amour had an offer on the table and a deal was close at one point, but that offer has now been pulled and Brind’Amour may potentially test the market…. Cooper and Brind’Amour potentially being available means there is zero reason to keep Sullivan around, especially if he’s not willing to compromise when it comes to his assistants.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Cooper and RBA come available, there will be quite the bidding war. That said, Carolina would be another great spot for Sullivan. Same with Tampa.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Even in some weird universe where Brind'Amour and Cooper both become available and Sullivan leaves to coach the Devils there is a zero percent chance that Cooper/Brind'Amour would come sign with a team that is on the downswing and about to be rebuilding.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Even in some weird universe where Brind'Amour and Cooper both become available and Sullivan leaves to coach the Devils there is a zero percent chance that Cooper/Brind'Amour would come sign with a team that is on the downswing and about to be rebuilding.
Unless the Pens offer them a ridiculous contract like they did for Dubas.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Brind'Amour will go to SEA as their first choice. Not a doubt in my mind if they can work out the $$$.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You'd be a massive upgrade from Hakstol, but that's low praise.
I dunno man, I might just stare around with a hopeless Mike Johnston look on my face and have 0 wins to my NHL coaching career and a boat load of 2 many men penaltys from nobody understanding who's going on the ice.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I dunno man, I might just stare around with a hopeless Mike Johnston look on my face and have 0 wins to my NHL coaching career and a boat load of 2 many men penaltys from nobody understanding who's going on the ice.
I would be implementing a bunch of draconian shit like "If you pass up a prime shooting opportunity to make a pass and a shot does not result, the team will do sprints after practice. 30min per missed shot".

Later in the pressers:
"Coach, how is the team pulling off 168 shot attempts and 90+ shots each game?"
"Well funny story..."

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would be implementing a bunch of draconian shit like "If you pass up a prime shooting opportunity to make a pass and a shot does not result, the team will do sprints after practice. 30min per missed shot".

Later in the pressers:
"Coach, how is the team pulling off 168 shot attempts and 90+ shots each game?"
"Well funny story..."
Dubas hire this man!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Probably gonna end up Brind'Amour going to Seattle and Cooper going to like, the Devils or LA or Toronto or some shit.

Only three* more years of Sully to go!

*For this contract anyway

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah this is exactly why I think the "Dubas isn't allowed to fire Sullivan" take is wrong. Do we know that FSG likes Sullivan more than Dubas? Sure, FSG speaks well of Sullivan and Sullivan is another Boston guy, but FSG gave Dubas $35 million to shape the team as he sees fit.

I've made my opinions on Sullivan clear, I think he's past his expiration date but I don't think he's a bad coach and would understand if Dubas wants to keep him. But at the same point, if Sullivan is interfering with Dubas' ability to change the team as he sees fit, that's a problem and he should be removed. If Sullivan won't let Dubas replace the assistant coaches, Sullivan should be fired as well. This is Dubas' team, not Sullivan's team.

Ideally the two work together and both sides are in agreement with the decisions they're making, but if they're not, Dubas has the authority over Sullivan. That's just the nature of the roles, which is why the "power struggle" tweet from Seravalli is bizarre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad