Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
David Quinn looks and talks exactly like Mike Sullivan.

It would be extremely Penguins to bring in David Quinn as an assistant and then eventually fire Mike Sullivan only to replace him with.....Mike Sullivan.
And he’s just as mediocre a coach as Sullivan, but he keeps getting fired from jobs while Sullivan gets a lifetime contract lol

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
And he’s just as mediocre a coach as Sullivan, but he keeps getting fired from jobs while Sullivan gets a lifetime contract lol
I know we're all ready to get off Sully's Wild Ride, but the guy won two cups.

David Quinn hasn't won anything.

Let's not act like they're walking around with the same resume.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Do you know how happy I would be if in the span of one off-season Jeff Carter retired and Sullivan had a change of heart and resigned so he could become coach of the Devils? :laugh:

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Do you know how happy I would be if in the span of one off-season Jeff Carter retired and Sullivan had a change of heart and resigned so he could become coach of the Devils? :laugh:
Better odds of happening this summer: Sullivan resigns or is fired, or me hooking up with Taylor Swift?

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
What is San Jose doing? If you fire a David Quinn, you have to find another David Quinn.
Sullivan friend coming to the penguins as an assistant coach?
1714022617605.png

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Seems stupid considering we won the cup the year prior with Kris being one of our three best players.

It is more important that he was good on a rampant team in 16 than anyting he has done after?

To me it is nonsense to say he was one of the three best players in 2016. He was good, sure. He got big minutes, just as he has been getting minutes no matter if he has been good or bad for years. And he gets points, it is known.,,,
Sid, Guentzel, Murray, Kessel, Malkin for starters. Among D-men, Dumo was fantastic in 2016. Either way...

In 2017 we were not the all-conquering speed demons who won in 16, wouldn't have been with Letang either, and we needed to also win paying cagey. Letang cannot be safety first. We had Ron Hainsey delivering things Letang could not have, when we needed it. This is of course not to say that Letang is not "better", but our team loses more because of the goals we allow rather than those we don't score. Well, except for the PP, where Letang was never a solution but due to usage clearly part of the enduring problem over the years.
Letang has been a solid minus player for the last 4 playoff outings. Might be in on some goals, but just as often (more often) the main reason they are conceeded.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sullivan friend coming to the penguins as an assistant coach?
View attachment 859316

Always thought he looked like the pompous bad guy from [any] 80's / early 90's action flick. Segal, Van Damme, doesn't matter. That guy will open the movie doing something awful like stealing art and leaving one of his goons behind because he's in too big of a hurry to get out of there.

Imagine if/when Cooper gets fired before Sullivan does. Cooper is what this dumb team thinks Sullivan is.

I had a dream several years ago (before Tampa's cups) that the Pens and Bolts swapped coaches. That might very well become a reality.

Tampa needs to move on from both Cooper and Stamkos and I'm not sure they have the stomach to do either.

I won't call that a gutless move as much as keeping Sullivan around here for half a decade too long.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I really don't know what to make of the fact that there has been no movement with the assistant coaches. Reirden and Vellucci had their contracts expire.

If the Pens knew 100% that they were moving on from them, word would get out even if the Pens didn't make an official announcement. Reirden and Vellucci would be talking to other teams about jobs and that would leak.

That means it's possible they are coming back...but if they were locks to come back, deals should be easy. The Pens have all the leverage. Which makes me think the Pens are hoping there are specific options that come available or they get permission to talk to, and in the meantime they're keeping Reirden and Vellucci close in case they need to scramble and bring them back.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really don't know what to make of the fact that there has been no movement with the assistant coaches. Reirden and Vellucci had their contracts expire.

If the Pens knew 100% that they were moving on from them, word would get out even if the Pens didn't make an official announcement. Reirden and Vellucci would be talking to other teams about jobs and that would leak.

That means it's possible they are coming back...but if they were locks to come back, deals should be easy. The Pens have all the leverage. Which makes me think the Pens are hoping there are specific options that come available or they get permission to talk to, and in the meantime they're keeping Reirden and Vellucci close in case they need to scramble and bring them back.

My dude... you are torturing yourself for no reason, here lol

You already know what's going to happen.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
My dude... you are torturing yourself for no reason, here lol

You already know what's going to happen.
I'm desperately trying to find hope that those two will be kicked to the curb.

It is strange that there is this sense of limbo with the assistants, though. I am surprised that it is not definitive one way or the other.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm desperately trying to find hope that those two will be kicked to the curb.

It is strange that there is this sense of limbo with the assistants, though. I am surprised that it is not definitive one way or the other.

I'll grant you that it is a little strange and despite my dismissive and cynical attitude it could honestly go either way... IF I had any faith that this team has an ounce of sense in it's collective heads, these days. And I don't.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The team has definitely tricked themselves into thinking the last two weeks of the season werent a mirage. They're gonna run it back next season with the same coaches and some slight roster tweaks. This time the core won't be healthy and the Pens will be picking in the lottery.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The team has definitely tricked themselves into thinking the last two weeks of the season werent a mirage. They're gonna run it back next season with the same coaches and some slight roster tweaks. This time the core won't be healthy and the Pens will be picking in the lottery.

They're gonna give Reirden every excuse they can, aren't they? Hey... the powerplay looked better at the end of the year, right?!? Ya know... after Reirden corrected the personnel issues he himself created most of the season. Wowee! What a guy!

Plus like I said the other day... these dolts haven't even served their primary function, yet. Which is to be fodder to toss in the breach once Sullivan's seat starts to get warm to ward off that pink slip for another year or so. And Sullivan's seat isn't even above room temp, yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad