Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It shouldnt but we all know that the last couple weeks has bought Sullivan time. Until atleast halfway through next season.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd rather have something tangible to actually watch games for. It was SOMETHING. Hanging your hat on the likes of this do-nothing ownership group and the nutless wonder GM who probably isn't even allowed to maybe possibly any-day-now fire the head coach after many, many years of the team punting on perfectly acceptable and downright necessary times to do so is a fool's errand.

They were never gonna do it. They made their mind up on that years ago. Besides this team is so soaked in it's own ego that signing an extension years in advance only to terminate it before it even kicked in would constitute admitting to a mistake. And that's not how we do things in Pittsburgh.
Let me dream, you old bastard. :laugh: (Fairly certain we're similarly aged)

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm old af. I HOPE you have a few years on me for your sake,

I sneezed too hard (scream-sneeze -- you start doing it when you hit ~35 -- any old dude will confirm) a few days ago and I think I cracked a rib.
Nobody loves to bag on Jeff Carter for being ancient quite like guys who are actually his age (like me) :laugh:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It should be scorched earth but it will just be Reirden and possibly Velluccci both letting their contracts expire.

I’m sure the 4th set of assistant coaches surely will not make Sullivan look like an idiot.
I think they should clean house, but I love how the narrative keeps stretching to exaggerate the number of assistants Sullivan has had.

He's had one complete change of assistants.

Tocchet and Martin were his assistants when he came on, with Gonchar helping part time. Tocchet left for a head coaching job, at which point they promoted Gonchar full-time and added Recchi.

Gonchar, Recchi, and Martin stayed until they were all fired in 2020. It's been Reirden and Vellucci since, with Hennes being promoted from skills coach to assistant in 2022.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think they should clean house, but I love how the narrative keeps stretching to exaggerate the number of assistants Sullivan has had.

Tocchet and Martin were his assistants when he came on, with Gonchar helping part time. Tocchet left for a head coaching job, at which point they promoted Gonchar full-time and added Recchi.

Gonchar, Recchi, and Martin stayed until they were all fired in 2020. It's been Reirden and Vellucci since, with Hennes being promoted from skills coach to assistant in 2022.

I mean - wasn't my comment but even in your own estimation that's 3 sets...so the comment about his 4th set would hold true.

It's the roster turnover and his own hand in that roster that gets me the most. The only thing close is his usage of the roster but I've never been high (or even warm) on ANY of his personnel choices.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

So if they get him new assistants next year, that would be his 4th set…just like I said.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd buy the "they've tried replacing Sullivan's assistants multiple times" argument more if the Penguins assistants they were firing actually went on to be good elsewhere. But that hasn't happened at all, I know Recchi was let go and he was a miserable failure with his next team after the Penguins.

The problem is that this team sucks at finding good assistant coaches, so replacing Recchi with Rierden isn't going to make a difference.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Other than money, why would they not fire Sullivan? People can argue that we could do worse, but that simply isn't true. You cannot do worse in the NHL than being the best team to not make the playoffs. That is the worst possible position in the NHL, where you either want to be competing for Cups or bottoming out. Limping along as the best non-playoff team gets you nowhere at all.

Reactions: Andy99 and Pancakes

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So if they get him new assistants next year, that would be his 4th set…just like I said.
Changing one coach (Tocchet to Recchi) isn't a new set.

It's semantics, but it just always strikes me as odd.
DP is me with the reflexive defensive mechanisms. But his is attuned to some lame-ass NHL coach who has long overstayed his welcome while mine is at least for a HOFer who is still productive at nearly 40.
I've said they should clean house and bring in a fresh voice. All for that.

But I also think that Sullivan is this weird Boogeyman for some people, the cause of everything wrong with this team, when it's likely more complex than that and there are multiple people responsible.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Other than money, why would they not fire Sullivan? People can argue that we could do worse, but that simply isn't true. You cannot do worse in the NHL than being the best team to not make the playoffs. That is the worst possible position in the NHL, where you either want to be competing for Cups or bottoming out. Limping along as the best non-playoff team gets you nowhere at all.
Ownership is a fan of him apparently.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
DP is me with the reflexive defensive mechanisms. But his is attuned to some lame-ass NHL coach who has long overstayed his welcome while mine is at least for a HOFer who is still productive at nearly 40.
It's a coin toss whether you're gonna defend Geno's honor with some scathing sarcasm or you're gonna rip into him for being a mummified corpse on skates. :laugh: Nobody loves and hates Geno quite like you do.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
With an unbiased assessment, this should be a slam dunk. They should all be fired, and any poll should be unanimous. But we follow a team where ownership consider the coach as the franchise's most important asset. Now Dubas is probably #2, given how ownership fanboyed out for him last summer.

I shudder to think what would've happened if FSG were around for Dan Bylsma. After that documentary made him look like a "genius", those gullible assholes would've traded Geno and Letang before sacking that guy. We would've been Chiarelli-era Edmonton, trading future HoFers for "tough" spare parts.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Arrogance. With a hefty side of ignorance from the absentee fanboy ownership group.

I've said they should clean house and bring in a fresh voice. All for that.

But I also think that Sullivan is this weird Boogeyman for some people, the cause of everything wrong with this team, when it's likely more complex than that and there are multiple people responsible.

I'm mostly just giving you a hard time. But yes anyone who doesn't understand that even with as big a roadblock as the coach has made himself the last few years this is hardly some single-pronged issue, here is fooling themselves. But it would go a long way towards helping.

It's a coin toss whether you're gonna defend Geno's honor with some scathing sarcasm or you're gonna rip into him for being a mummified corpse on skates. :laugh: Nobody loves and hates Geno quite like you do.

Lotta years of reverse-jinxing. But I mean... yeah. Malkin has been one of the most entertaining players I've ever watched. He also has moments where you are like "WTF was that dumb shit, bud?" Thankfully even in his dotage he's the kind of player that typically makes up for those moments usually in the same game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The reason they won't fire Sullivan is that they're delusional about both him and the state of the team. They still view their contending window to be open and they think they need a "top tier coach" to do that.

If the Penguins were actually committed to rebuilding, I think that Sullivan would be far more likely to be fired. But as long as Crosby is here, I genuinely doubt Sullivan gets fired.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
All the fsg people were at the game last night. Last year there were firings after they all showed up.

I think maybe some assistants get canned but I doubt Sully does.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
All the fsg people were at the game last night. Last year there were firings after they all showed up.

I think maybe some assistants get canned but I doubt Sully does.
Think I read somewhere they have someone at every game. Though I guess there is some increased importance if it was more than one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad