Speculation: Offseason changes; Hirings & Firings?

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I think Nonis stays. Draft lottery tells us who they pick depending what the draft order is. Phaneuf gets dealt first to either Anaheim, Detroit, Dallas or Colorado, that is the first move to let everyone know they are serious of a retool or rebuild. Next is hiring a HC and that could be anyone from DeBoer, McClelland, Cooper to Babcock or some young AHL coach prospect. That decides where the team is headed systematically. Leafs will try and shed Lupuls contract to anyone, I think Montreal and Nashville are possible destinations but Nashville could be looking at a bigger fish "Kessel". Montreal could try and go for Bozak and get that centre they need on a more consistent basis. Bozak could also land in Anaheim again depending on the playoff run, and I could see Phoenix or Carolina go for him. Gardiner is a interesting one and could get dealt to Dallas or Colorado who need Dmen. What we know changes are coming that's for dam sure.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Phaneuf goes first, Bozak has to go as well.

Kessel may stay if we get McDavid, as really all you need then is a solid defensive left winger and some d-men(hopefully we would draft a solid one with our Nash pick).

We would still be bad in 2016 with McDavid being a rookie, but hopefully we'd pickup another great player in 2016 and we'd start competing right away after that.

dont get McDavid and we probably get strome, trade off Kessel, Phaneuf and Bozak, tank and get a bottom 5 pick next season and then slowly start competing in 2-3 seasons.

Palmateer

Routine kick save
Jan 27, 2012
Read that the Leafs are expected to ask the Coyotes for permission to speak to Sean Burke after the season.

He's been their Director of Prospect Development, and is now their Assistant to the GM, and goalie coach.

According to another article he "serve(d) on the management staff of Hockey Canada's Junior National Team for the IIHF World Junior Championship ... and was in the running to become president of Hockey Canada last summer before the program selected Tom Renney."

Burke says he's already spoken to 7 or 8 teams, plans to speak to a few more, but hasn't done any official interviews yet.

He used to be Shanahan's teammate (and roommate) in New Jersey, and Shanahan was the best man at his wedding, and apparently they're still close friends.

CalgaryLeaf*

Read that the Leafs are expected to ask the Coyotes for permission to speak to Sean Burke after the season.

He's been their Director of Prospect Development, and is now their Assistant to the GM, and goalie coach.

According to another article he "serve(d) on the management staff of Hockey Canada's Junior National Team for the IIHF World Junior Championship ... and was in the running to become president of Hockey Canada last summer before the program selected Tom Renney."

Burke says he's already spoken to 7 or 8 teams, plans to speak to a few more, but hasn't done any official interviews yet.

He used to be Shanahan's teammate (and roommate) in New Jersey, and Shanahan was the best man at his wedding, and apparently they're still close friends.

I'm open to giving a bright,young assistant GM a chance...He's paid his dues. As you say they are very good friends.

Who knows maybe Burke #2 will be the answer for the Leafs.:D

That being said,Shanahan already hired Dubas and Hunter to play a role in the organization going forward. I could see Shanahan firing Nonis and promoting Hunter as the GM and Dubas as the assistant GM. I think it might depend on how much Hunter wants to take on that added responsibility...Perhaps he's happy in player personnell & scouting?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Gotta love the old connections game. AGM of a team worse than the Leafs (a stunning twice as bad goal differential) and goalie coach for third worst goaltending in the league.

Last edited:

CalgaryLeaf*

One added benefit to Hiring Burke is that he'd settle down the Leafs goaltending issues.

pi-nhl-coyotes-sean-burke-032315.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Sean Burke has wanted a significant management role since he joined the Coyotes organization in 2009 as its goaltending coach. He may get that opportunity somewhere else this offseason.
Coyotes GM Don Maloney recently granted Burke permission to talk to other clubs about management positions, Burke confirmed on Sunday. Burke said he already spoke to seven or eight teams and plans to talk to a few more.
"I haven't wanted to say much about it and I haven't gone down the path to doing interviews yet," Burke said. "I really thought that was something that should wait until the season is over."

Burke already has management experience beyond the Coyotes organization. He took a mini-leave from the team earlier this season to serve on the management staff of Hockey Canada's Junior National Team for the IIHF World Junior Championship in Toronto and Montreal, and he was in the running to become president of Hockey Canada last summer before the program selected Tom Renney.

He was also named to Hockey Canada's Program of Excellence management group in the summer of 2013. The program oversees hockey operations for the men's under-17, under-18, and under-20 programs.
Burke is in the final year of his contract with the Coyotes as assistant to the GM and goaltending coach. In his first season on the job, he helped get Ilya Bryzgalov's game on track. Bryzgalov posted a .920 save percentage and 2.29 goals-against average that season as the Coyotes allowed the fewest goals in the Western Conference.
Mar 22, 2015; Glendale, AZ, USA; Arizona Coyotes right wing Shane Doan (19) reacts following the third period against the Vancouver Canucks at Gila River Arena. The Canucks won 3-1. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
Coyotes woes continue

Smith's stellar play lost in Coyotes' struggles
Burke helped Mike Smith revive his career in 2011-12 and spearhead the Coyotes' run to the Western Conference Final. Earlier this season, he helped Devan Dubnyk rediscover his game before Dubnyk was traded at midseason. One season after losing his starting job in Edmonton, getting traded twice and ending up in the minor leagues, Dubnyk is third in goals-against average (2.12), tied for fourth in the NHL in save percentage (.927) and tied for seventh in wins (31) for Minnesota, which is arguably the hottest team in the NHL.
"I don't have some secret formula that these guys couldn't learn from somebody else," said Burke in downplaying his role. "It's just about instilling confidence in them. Duby just needed someone to believe in him again."
"The second half of that is just putting the work in for these guys, and I like working."
Burke didn't want to speculate on what will happen this offseason, but it is highly unlikely he will return to the organization next season, leaving Smith with a new goalie coach.
"I've really enjoyed the coaching and it has been rewarding, but I never went into this to coach. I wanted to manage from the moment I retired," he said. "Coaching is good because it gives you an additional avenue of experience, being in that dressing room every day, but when you stay in that role too long, it becomes more difficult to get where you want to go.
"Having said that, I have strong opinions and strong feelings about this franchise. I played here, too so it's personal for me. I really enjoy it here, and I am thankful for the opportunities I've been given."

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/st...cuss-management-roles-with-other-teams-032315

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
What i think happens:

Nonis is kept. Leafs hire a new coach; One of Dubas, Pridham and Hunter learn the ropes. Nonis gets the Feaster treatment and one of those three guys take over with Shanahan really calling the shots.

What i want to happen:

1. Win the lottery and get McDavid:

Clean house and fire everyone. Hire a new GM, have him hire the coach. Overhaul most of the lineup but keep Kessel to be McDavid's winger. Trade guys like Bozak, Lupul and Phaneuf for younger assets. Retool - with McDavid you dont need a full rebuild of 5 years - might just need 3.

2. Lose the lottery and pick 4-5th:

Fire your scouting and development staff. Keep Nonis, Horacek and others to keep the Tank strong. Trade everyone including Kessel (only if you get a good deal) and maybe JVR and Bernier (Phaneuf, Bozak, and Lupul). Strip it down and go full rebuild. Build around Strome/Marner, Nylander, Rielly, and Kadri.

When you are ready to contend then you fire Nonis and the coaching staff after they have lead us through some good tank years and hire a new regime to build the contender you want.

Either way i think we need to overhaul the scouting and development staff. Just been bad with our own homegrown guys.

No offense, but if you commit to a rebuild, which leafs have done-so so far you don't deviate from your plan because you got 1 player that you think can turn your franchise around. You do it the long way, how every team does it, build with your own draft picks as the core, not just adding pieces and hoping it will stick with some bubble gum and hope.

Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, (maybe JVR) should be traded for draft picks/prospects and temporary players.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I'm open to giving a bright,young assistant GM a chance...He's paid his dues. As you say they are very good friends.

Who knows maybe Burke #2 will be the answer for the Leafs.:D

That being said,Shanahan already hired Dubas and Hunter to play a role in the organization going forward. I could see Shanahan firing Nonis and promoting Hunter as the GM and Dubas as the assistant GM. I think it might depend on how much Hunter wants to take on that added responsibility...Perhaps he's happy in player personnell & scouting?

Dubas is already assistant GM.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Fire Nonis, Fire Horachek, Fire Morrison.

Seriously a lot of this blame falls on ******* Dave #2. Morrison hasn't produced a good draft in any years he's been here. Look at Dallas, look at Montreal, look at all those teams that walk away from drafts with 3-4 really good prospects. Gaudreau was a 3rd round pick. Klingberg was a 5th round pick. The only players we seem to have come up are guys that are picked in the 1st round, that's why the Leafs rebuild takes so long, or why the group hasn't done better, we're doing the New York Islanders/Edmonton Oilers rebuild where we only manage 1 prospect a draft.

Umm.. Connor brown was a 6th rounder and has Gaudreau upside.

Some other later round picks we've had are Valiev last year (having a great season in the WHL), Bibeau (won the playoff MVP last year), Johnson (rookie of the year in SHL),then guys like Loov, etc.

If we go back further enough to guys who are NHL age now we have Gunnerson (7th round), Kulimen, Reimer, Komarov, Stralman, all in the NHL and all late picks.

I wouldn't be against replacing him but saying we can't draft is nonsense. I would rather replace our pro scouts who have given us some awful contracts over the years.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
The suits took a $25M haircut with Clarkson.
Likely they were responsible for that deal.
Nonis is good with the phones & groundwork.
Hunter does the hunting.
Dubas does the numbers.
Everyone throws their 2 cents in & Shanny makes the call.
Babcock seems a bit too ambitious.
Get Hitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad