Speculation: Offseason changes; Hirings & Firings?

CalgaryLeaf*

I think most agree that this offseason will be HUGE in terms of massive changes to the organization.

The question is,who is the first to get axed and in what order?

1. Nonis?

It would be assbackwards if they hired a new coach and then hired a GM. If Nonis is kept around until the draft I think it's more than likely that he'll stick around for another season.

2. Peter Horachek?

He'll probably get fired a few days after the season ends. There is no possible way the he returns.

What next?

I assume that most of the scouting staff stays until after the draft...Does Morrison stick around?

I wonder if Hunter is really the De Facto Director of Amateur Scouting at present and Morrison is just showing him the ropes?...Hunter has said that he is a rink rat and loves scouting...Morrison could be showing Hunter how to coordinate things like travel and staff and let him in on his little secrets...This is similar to the way Nonis is being kept around...He's doing the grunt work and showing Shanahn,Dubas and Hunter the ropes.

What say you?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I think we'll know one week after the season ends whether Nonis is the GM or not. If he is here, Nonis is the GM, Dubas is the AGM, and Hunter is the director of player personnel. It would make no sense to keep Nonis around for the draft just to be fired.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
If the Leafs are actually interested in Babcock and he has intimated he will at least listen, then nothing is going to happen until they know whats going on with him. Again though, ass backwards hiring from bottom up, but this is the Leafs.

CalgaryLeaf*

If the Leafs are actually interested in Babcock and he has intimated he will at least listen, then nothing is going to happen until they know whats going on with him. Again though, ass backwards hiring from bottom up, but this is the Leafs.

I think any GM in the league would hire Babcock.

CalgaryLeaf*

Doubt LA would, unless you mean in general, but they aren't firing Sutter to hire Babcock for more money to achieve the same thing

I meant any GM who the Leafs would hire if Nonis is canned...It really doesn't matter if the coach (Babcock) is hired before the GM in this example...That's normally assbackwards but in this case it doesn't matter.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
About Nonis, I would actually be fine with him staying. It's apparent to me that he is not the one calling the shots anyway. He is just a GM in name only. He can stay and be part of the brain trust or what have you. Gotta pay him regardless so may as well just keep him on.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There will be a ton of changes in coaches and management around the league. It's going to be known as the great front office shuffle of 2015 (copyrighted by me).

First, you fire Nonis. I have no idea if the Leafs plan to do so but considering the mountain of mistakes he and Burke did in their tenure, I think you need to replace him. He seems open about the future thinking the Leafs plan on using to build their team, but I just don't think he's the kind of GM we need to rebuild with. He has to bare some of the responsibility of building this horrible lineup. He doesn't seem to be able to pull off favourable trades and doesn't seem like he's capable of pulling of good signings. As for the replacement? I don't see anyone up for grabs right now, but Rob Blake seems like a great candidate for now. Doug Wilson could be fired from SJ, which would be good for us. If Boston can't make the playoffs or if they sort of choke, I could see Chiarelli being let go as well for how he handled Seguin and not being able to keep his contender up, but I'm doubtful he's fired this offseason.

Horachek is all but gone. He might be put back as an assistant coach, but I would be surprised. Steve Spott should stick around. As for the coach, there will be a ton of options. Tippett, Babcock, Hitchcock, McLellan, Julien, Boudreau, etc. I just hope we can find the right one.

As for the scouts. We all ready added Mark Hunter, who may want to revamp his peers a bit. I think Morrison could be let go in the next year or so, all though I'd keep him until I'm sure I can find an upgrade. No idea who could replace him. I'd compile all the lists the scouts have done over the last 10 or so years and eliminate the scouts have not identified any NHLers in that span, or if their lists are absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I meant any GM who the Leafs would hire if Nonis is canned...It really doesn't matter if the coach (Babcock) is hired before the GM in this example...That's normally assbackwards but in this case it doesn't matter.

Ah, ok. makes sense. I agree, although I don't think he leaves Detroit to come here anyway

CalgaryLeaf*

Ah, ok. makes sense. I agree, although I don't think he leaves Detroit to come here anyway

This may sound silly but their are quite a few Detroit fans who don't view Babcock the same way Leafs fans do.You start taking things for granted and don't appreciate what you already have...I read Detroit forums and you'd be surprised.

The same thing could happen with Detroit owner Ilitch or GM Holland...Grand Rapids coach Jeff Blashill is thought of highly ...If the Leafs offer a ridiculous number to Babcock the Red Wings might not match it and then promote Blashill to be the HC.

Money still matters and Babcock is an Ontario guy.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Nonis, Horachek & assistants and most of the scouting staff(Steve Kaspar, I'm looking at you) should be canned.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What i think happens:

Nonis is kept. Leafs hire a new coach; One of Dubas, Pridham and Hunter learn the ropes. Nonis gets the Feaster treatment and one of those three guys take over with Shanahan really calling the shots.

What i want to happen:

1. Win the lottery and get McDavid:

Clean house and fire everyone. Hire a new GM, have him hire the coach. Overhaul most of the lineup but keep Kessel to be McDavid's winger. Trade guys like Bozak, Lupul and Phaneuf for younger assets. Retool - with McDavid you dont need a full rebuild of 5 years - might just need 3.

2. Lose the lottery and pick 4-5th:

Fire your scouting and development staff. Keep Nonis, Horacek and others to keep the Tank strong. Trade everyone including Kessel (only if you get a good deal) and maybe JVR and Bernier (Phaneuf, Bozak, and Lupul). Strip it down and go full rebuild. Build around Strome/Marner, Nylander, Rielly, and Kadri.

When you are ready to contend then you fire Nonis and the coaching staff after they have lead us through some good tank years and hire a new regime to build the contender you want.

Either way i think we need to overhaul the scouting and development staff. Just been bad with our own homegrown guys.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I think any GM in the league would hire Babcock.

Not to mention a new coach hiring is going to come from Shanny, and Shanny's not about to hire a GM that thinks Babcock isnt a top notch coach, because that would mean he and his new GM had very different views on the direction this team needs to go in.

Hiring coach before GM isnt ideal, but if its still under the umbrella of the same President, then the overall organizational philosophy that Shanny is pushing will be maintained regardless, because he wouldnt hire a GM that didnt fit that.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Fire Nonis, Fire Horachek, Fire Morrison.

Seriously a lot of this blame falls on ******* Dave #2. Morrison hasn't produced a good draft in any years he's been here. Look at Dallas, look at Montreal, look at all those teams that walk away from drafts with 3-4 really good prospects. Gaudreau was a 3rd round pick. Klingberg was a 5th round pick. The only players we seem to have come up are guys that are picked in the 1st round, that's why the Leafs rebuild takes so long, or why the group hasn't done better, we're doing the New York Islanders/Edmonton Oilers rebuild where we only manage 1 prospect a draft.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
GM is gone - doesn't mean we should name someone right away.

Dubas + Hunter should platoon the GM role and it should be considered as such.

Dubas can talk and Hunter can watch.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I still think MLSE's big sell to Babcock will be (right or wrong) that he also gets the GM position.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
If Horachek gets us one of McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin, bring him back. We could use Matthews/Chychrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad