Officiating: Is the NHL doing it right or is the NBA, or neither/both

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
My premise?

All I want is the interference called more like it was in 05/06. I dotn care about the rest of the by the book calls. Nothing will ever be 100% for anything.

One of the top seeds will make the Finals becasue they are the best teams - hence the seeding. Why do you see it as a problem? Thats a big reason why the NBA is so much more popular than the NHL. A star player or a strong team will play well in the regular season and go far in the playoffs - hence getting more exposure. The NHL is more regional becasue underdog teams can have immediate flukey success in the playoffs, but it doesnt make it more globably popular since casual fans like familiarity.

And no-one sees reffing as a big problem in the NBA, so of course its your perception. If others see it as a problem, why is the NBA breaking attendence records and continueing to have strong tv and streaming numbers? Of course its not perfect but it never will be in any sport.

I assume you dont watch a lot of NBA now since youre not a fan anymore, so I can see how your opinions would be incorrect.

I'm just curious how " call everything all the time and the players will adjust" morphed seamlessly into " I want less interference"?

As for popularity, you make a good point. That becuase the NBA is more popular than the nhl means that the NBA is doing things better than the nhl. It certainly can't be because one is 1000x more expensive and the pool of people who have played the sport is 1000x times larger for basketball

Just wondering soccer is even. More popular, does that mean fifa> NBA and that the NBA should up its current embellishment factor?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I'm just curious how " call everything all the time and the players will adjust" morphed seamlessly into " I want less interference"?

As for popularity, you make a good point. That becuase the NBA is more popular than the nhl means that the NBA is doing things better than the nhl. It certainly can't be because one is 1000x more expensive and the pool of people who have played the sport is 1000x times larger for basketball

Just wondering soccer is even. More popular, does that mean fifa> NBA and that the NBA should up its current embellishment factor?

For your first point, more calls were made in 05/06 and the players adjusted and we saw less interference. So it should be pretty obvious how they are related, except the "call everything all the time" is a little hyperbole.

For the popularity, I dont follow Fifa so I wont comment on it, plus thats a worldwide sport. MLS in North America however is gaining polularity and has set an attendence record 4 years in a row. NBA has set an attendence record 3 years in a row. NHL saw its attendance fall this year, even with the Oilers seeing an attendance bump due to their new larger arena. So it might not be a good year for comparisons.

One thing to note is the MLS actually has fines and suspensions for diving, and they show a video on their website. NBA has done that recently as well too, and showed a video with a fine of LeBron James flopping. Can you ever imagine the NHL fining and publicly showing a video of thier biggest star diving, right on their website?

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
NHL does have fines for diving...

Again, players did NOT adjust in 05/06 season. It was a **** show. The officiating was horrible and players were confused. That was an awful season. The "hockey" was terrible.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
For your first point, more calls were made in 05/06 and the players adjusted and we saw less interference. So it should be pretty obvious how they are related, except the "call everything all the time" is a little hyperbole.

For the popularity, I dont follow Fifa so I wont comment on it, plus thats a worldwide sport. MLS in North America however is gaining polularity and has set an attendence record 4 years in a row. NBA has set an attendence record 3 years in a row. NHL saw its attendance fall this year, even with the Oilers seeing an attendance bump due to their new larger arena. So it might not be a good year for comparisons.

One thing to note is the MLS actually has fines and suspensions for diving, and they show a video on their website. NBA has done that recently as well too, and showed a video with a fine of LeBron James flopping. Can you ever imagine the NHL fining and publicly showing a video of thier biggest star diving, right on their website?

so by the bookers are nor really by the book ? they want the rule book to be selectively enforced with more calls on interference. So all the time people are bemoaning the subjectivity of the refs, what they want is to be subjective as it appeals to them. Replacing one set of subjective rules with another set of subjective rules does not magically make it more objective.

objectively EVERYTHING thast happens in front of the net is illegal. you want to by the book it, everytinme a team sets up shop in the offensive zone its a penalty. if you dont want this ( and only a moron would) you are a grade a hypocrite bemoaning the subjective nature of the calls not because they are subjective but because they are not subjective in a way that pleases you.

accept the fact that the rule book is more of suggestions and you wont have to go apoplectic everytimr a guy does something technically illegal that doesnt get called. you know like the rest of people who watch games.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

so its the seeing that is a problem not the actual diving ? players that are fined for diving in the nhl are disclosed by the league.

and I dont give two craps about mls, which is at best a 4th rate league. people like to go to sing dance and weat scarves ? bully for them.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
One of the top seeds will make the Finals becasue they are the best teams - hence the seeding. Why do you see it as a problem? Thats a big reason why the NBA is so much more popular than the NHL. A star player or a strong team will play well in the regular season and go far in the playoffs - hence getting more exposure. The NHL is more regional becasue underdog teams can have immediate flukey success in the playoffs, but it doesnt make it more globably popular since casual fans like familiarity.

And no-one sees reffing as a big problem in the NBA, so of course its your perception. If others see it as a problem, why is the NBA breaking attendence records and continueing to have strong tv and streaming numbers? Of course its not perfect but it never will be in any sport.

I assume you dont watch a lot of NBA now since youre not a fan anymore, so I can see how your opinions would be incorrect.

But they make it at too high a rate that is the problem. Not enough upsets. There is a reason for that and it is because of reffing making it harder for upsets to happen. I don't like predicting and being right so much who makes it because it makes it less interesting less intense.

NBA is more popular then NHL for a reason and that is because it is easier to get into to play and when you play a sport your much more likely to be interested in watching it. Also it is easier to follow NBA action which is slower paced the NHL action that also has a effect on popularity.

NBA has a reffing problem but a lot of the fans just don't care that much or are naive.

I didn't say I don't watch NBA anymore just that it was once my favorite sport. NBA had a reffing problem before and it still does. A lot of people who are not NBA fans see it and some that still have interest in it just not like they once did see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad