Advice: Officiating beer league games

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
In the Toronto area the High School and Middle/Public School games are 2 man and pay $55 and $45 respectively, but they're also finished in about 50 minutes to an hour.

I know in other regions the games are much longer. How long are your games?

Again, how long are the games? If they're only 50 minute games then those are amazing rates!

Althoma,

Depends on where in Toronto, I believe some games were $65, but I could be mistaken and they could be north of the city, ie, Aurora, Newmarket, etc.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Althoma,

Depends on where in Toronto, I believe some games were $65, but I could be mistaken and they could be north of the city, ie, Aurora, Newmarket, etc.

Quite possible. I only started doing high school and public school games earlier this year. All of mine were either in Toronto, North York and Scarborough and were all $55 for High school (all Tiers) or $45 for the Tier 1 and 2 public school games for 2 man (Tier 3 public school is either $25/official or they usually just do 1 man for $45).

It's entirely possible that the surrounding areas could pay more.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The rates are astounding, but how many games locally etc? You say 40 school games a year, I do about 40 games every two weeks, given they are adult league etc.

So far since the "start" of the season in late Sept I have done 120 youth/adult league games. So 120 of those games plus another 40 HS/MS games. Probably get around 10-15 more youth games with the spring league. So total for a year around 160-180. 20 games a week is a lot! Its only part time for me so I would never have the time to do that many, as it is I thought I did a ton haha.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
In the Toronto area the High School and Middle/Public School games are 2 man and pay $55 and $45 respectively, but they're also finished in about 50 minutes to an hour.

I know in other regions the games are much longer. How long are your games?

Again, how long are the games? If they're only 50 minute games then those are amazing rates!

High School games are pretty long, they are three 15 minute periods, 7 minute warmup, and an ice cut between both periods. So the whole thing from start to finish can be around an hour and 45 minutes.

Middle school games are 13 minutes a period with no ice cuts, so those are quick, in and out in just over an hour.

Youth/Adult league games are are 15 minute periods, no ice cuts, so they they usually around an hour 15 minutes. Mite and Sq are 12 minutes periods.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I should add also that the cost of living in my area is extremely high, taxes on my house are like $14,000-$15,000 a year just to give you an idea so its all balances out haha.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Arizona's low rates are also a little offset by the very low cost of living but also by the fact that I'm getting around 50 games a month. This weekend alone I have 10; 3 on Friday, 3 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday.

For April I got 41, which is a little low but understandable considering the time of year.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So far since the "start" of the season in late Sept I have done 120 youth/adult league games. So 120 of those games plus another 40 HS/MS games. Probably get around 10-15 more youth games with the spring league. So total for a year around 160-180. 20 games a week is a lot! Its only part time for me so I would never have the time to do that many, as it is I thought I did a ton haha.

With those rates not bad, if we had those rates here, I wouldn't be doing as many games lol,

It's "part" time for me as well...lol but this weekend I have 9, and the summer season just started so I will average slightly lower, about 15-16 games a week over the summer.

I had a stretch in the winter, 2 weeks, every day, 4-5 games average,

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
The first time that I refereed was back in 1953. I reffed three games on a Saturday morning from 7 am to 10 am and after the games I was taken out, by the man who ran the league, to a Deli for a corned beef sandwich and a Coke. That was the start of a 35 year officiating career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad