Advice: Officiating beer league games

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
For the first time ever, I officiated in a game during a friendly tournament on a voluntary basis.

There was a few issues & observations I had as a beginner referee.

- I thought having to do both linesman and refereeing was a rather difficult task. It's hard to track everything from on/off side infractions, penalties and goals/assists, much less what's going on away from the puck.

- I had a buddy referee, so the agreed upon procedure was that we'd each only skate in a straight line on either side. This was to ensure neither of us wander too close to the center and stick close to the boards. Any thoughts on this?

- Where to be on the ice? I thought that was the most difficult thing for me. It's about finding that space where you don't interfere with the play but is still able to keep a close eye on the play. This was something I thought I'd need the most pointer on.

- Safety? I went to the last game without much in the way of protection with the exception of my lid. Do referees usually wear roller pants or other forms of padding? There were a few instances where the puck and play came perilously close to me.

- An interesting thought: while I'm a complete novice in respect to this part of the game, I feel like once you get the hang of things, it's really easy for officials to dictate the flow of the game and even favour certain players or teams.

- Players complaining - while I've never complained to a referee before, I don't think I'd do it after this point. I don't think most people grasp how hard it is to keep your eyes peeled for 50-60 minutes straight and not make a mistake. Referees can only see so much, and their jobs are made harder in budget beer leagues where only 2 (and sometimes 1) referees are available.

Would love to hear some thoughts & comments from everyone.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Don't fret too much about offside and icing. Most of the time the zone entry is just fine or it's so obviously offside that being right on the line isn't really necessary. It sounds lazy to say it but pretty much every beer league game has a close line call that's incorrectly called around once every period but it's not a huge deal. Optimal position to see the line call on zone entry is just inside the blue line (according to the USA Hockey school of thought), but in a 2-man crew you're supposed to also skate into the zone and be on the goal line so it's acceptable to be more like 15 feet into the zone as play enters the zone, skating backwards. You'll still have a good enough view of the zone entry to get the call right.

You should then have a good amount of momentum to stay ahead of the play or turn your head if there's a quick shot, and continue skating backwards down to the goal line. Your "home base" position is going to be on the intersection of the goal line and the side boards. USA Hockey preaches the "golden triangle" for end zone positioning, which is the green triangle in this picture:

7630585edd.jpg

I don't really like it since according to their recommendations you're not supposed to go below the goal line. I go below the goal line as the deep official all the time. Gives me a much better view for goal/no goal calls. I will also skate right up to the net in a goal mouth scramble if I need to, to have a better view of the puck. When the play is in your zone, your partner should be on the opposite side of the ice as you in the neutral zone just outside the blue line, to be there if the puck comes up to the point so he can see if it comes out of the zone. He's the green circle in the above picture.

Each of you is basically skating goal line to far blue line as their "territory" for the game. On faceoffs, if you're not the official dropping the puck, you're generally going to be on the opposite side of the ice (or in front of the scorekeeper's table on center ice faceoffs), and follow the direction of play. Only exception is end zone faceoffs, one official's going to be dropping the puck and the other one is going to be up at the blue line on the opposite side of the ice. When you drop the puck in the end zone, you then become the deep official and skate to the "golden triangle" area. If play reverses into the other end, the deep official becomes the trailing official, and the former trailing official becomes the deep official. If play is going the other way and you're coming off the goal line, watch behind the play - that's where cheap shots and frustration hacks mostly happen. Also, under no circumstances should you ever be further off the side boards than the faceoff dots, unless you're approaching the net during a goal mouth scramble.

Safety? Well, USA Hockey requires officials to wear visors. Personally, I wear a pelvic protector, shin guards, and elbow pads as well. Some officials wear thigh/hip padding as well - I don't, and it stings to get struck with a puck there but it doesn't happen often.

As for players complaining... just remember you aren't compelled to talk to them. Explain your call (or non-call) if you can though, and don't be afraid to admit that you just missed something. It happens. I probably only see 85-90% of what happens on the ice - missing stuff happens.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
Here's a few thoughts from a newer referee (just completed my first year)

-2 man vs 3 man system - when I ref minor hockey it's 3 man system (2 linesman, 1 referee) I much prefer that. It's a lot nicer to be able to just focus on the one aspect (whether your lining or reffing). I also do beer league which is the 2 man system, and I do find it a bit more difficult to do both tasks. i still find myself focusing on one or the other, but not necessarily both at once.

-Primrose covered the positioning side of things quite well, I don't have much to add there, and she's much more experienced than I.

- Safety, Hockey Canada requires us to wear Helmet w/ Visor, Jock, Elbows and Shins. I know some guys wear a girdle, I don't thought. Even if it wasn't required, I would definitely always keep shins and jock. I get whacked in the shins regularly enough (mostly on faceoffs).

-Players complaining to the refs? Yeah, every other beer league team has at least 1 guy who thinks its okay to mouth off at the ref. Idiots like that are part of the reason I prefer reffing minor.

Hope you keep it up and have a good time. I started as a way to get in some more skating while getting paid; but have really enjoyed it, and now spend most of my time reffing vs playing.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Here's a few thoughts from a newer referee (just completed my first year)

-2 man vs 3 man system - when I ref minor hockey it's 3 man system (2 linesman, 1 referee) I much prefer that. It's a lot nicer to be able to just focus on the one aspect (whether your lining or reffing). I also do beer league which is the 2 man system, and I do find it a bit more difficult to do both tasks. i still find myself focusing on one or the other, but not necessarily both at once.

-Primrose covered the positioning side of things quite well, I don't have much to add there, and she's much more experienced than I.

- Safety, Hockey Canada requires us to wear Helmet w/ Visor, Jock, Elbows and Shins. I know some guys wear a girdle, I don't thought. Even if it wasn't required, I would definitely always keep shins and jock. I get whacked in the shins regularly enough (mostly on faceoffs).

-Players complaining to the refs? Yeah, every other beer league team has at least 1 guy who thinks its okay to mouth off at the ref. Idiots like that are part of the reason I prefer reffing minor.

Hope you keep it up and have a good time. I started as a way to get in some more skating while getting paid; but have really enjoyed it, and now spend most of my time reffing vs playing.

Still happens if you ref for a few years like me. I did a beer league game tonight and may very well have missed a call or two because a defenseman was challenging the zone entry along the boards and they kind of crashed into each other. I was more focusing on the attacking team's players without the puck to see where their skate blades were with keeping the puck in my peripheral vision across the ice, so I don't really know what happened with the collision. In theory that's what having two officials is for, but my partner may very well have been watching a group of guys behind the play and also missed it. No one complained about the collision though, so the chances that I missed a penalty are probably pretty low. Of course, many times players think something's legal when it isn't.

I actually quite like refereeing in 4-man, which is what they insist on for high school hockey around here. When I played high school in 2002-04 it was 3-man but they added a second referee because a lot of cheap stuff was happening behind the play. Of course, the 2013-2017 USA Hockey rulebook update gives a lot more autonomy to the trailing linesman to report certain kinds of penalties to the referee; it's no longer just the ability to report major/misconduct/game misconduct/match penalties at the next stoppage. So, I don't think 4-man's really necessary for Arizona high school hockey, but that's just me. I enjoy the system when I'm doing it though. When I'm skating backwards ahead of the play coming into the zone I always have to remind myself "Tricia, you do not need to slow down or stop at the blue line and make the call... keep skating you moron" :laugh:

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Your "home base" position is going to be on the intersection of the goal line and the side boards.
Incorrect "homebase" location. Homebase is on the goal line, even with the end zone faceoff dot...so, on the goal line about half way between the board and the net. Not on the side boards as you stated. Not being a %^#@ here, just clarifying.

OP - Go to this link: http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/902338-rule-book-and-resources and click on the "Manuals" tab for access to USA Hockey's Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced manuals. Most of what you asked can be found in the basic manual.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
When I'm skating backwards ahead of the play coming into the zone I always have to remind myself "Tricia, you do not need to slow down or stop at the blue line and make the call... keep skating you moron" :laugh:

I have a similar issue. When switching back and forth between doing 2 man and lining. Sometimes when lining, I'll stop at the line make the call, then rush into the zone to follow the play. Next thing you know the ref is standing beside saying "what are you doing here?"... Oops :)

As for 4-man, I've never done it, seems a little overkill for HS hockey, but must be nice to have the extra set of eyes/legs.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a similar issue. When switching back and forth between doing 2 man and lining. Sometimes when lining, I'll stop at the line make the call, then rush into the zone to follow the play. Next thing you know the ref is standing beside saying "what are you doing here?"... Oops :)
Yeeeeep, we've all been there. And the opposite, make the line call...then remember it's 2 man and have to bust @ss to the goal line.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Incorrect "homebase" location. Homebase is on the goal line, even with the end zone faceoff dot...so, on the goal line about half way between the board and the net. Not on the side boards as you stated. Not being a %^#@ here, just clarifying.

Don't worry about it. I must have just misremembered, since I don't really pay much attention to the "recommended" goal line positioning anyway and do my own thing. Personally I usually default to standing on the end boards about even with the faceoff dot.

All HS games are done 4 man?!? What is the pay for refs/lines in those games?

cc3934a8d5.png

Not that great, but with 4 officials it's not exactly a heavy workload.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
cc3934a8d5.png

Yea, most HS games aren't that tough so I'd definitely rather do 2 man for $70/each. I was going to comment that all games 4-man seems like unnecessary costs at first but I figure I should ask how much before I assumed it was more. Glad I did because if I'm reading what you posted right, a crew for 4 man is $134.86 and a 2 man crew here is $140.

FYI: JV (checking) is $50 and middle school (non-checking) is $40 here. They are done 2 man though post season as well.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Don't worry about it. I must have just misremembered, since I don't really pay much attention to the "recommended" goal line positioning anyway and do my own thing. Personally I usually default to standing on the end boards about even with the faceoff dot.

You'd be very comfortable officiating in Canadian minor hockey then. The Canadian version of the "Home Base" that we're taught is around the hash marks near the boards. We're taught a piston or cone system with 3 spots. Home Base, as mentioned (if the play is on your side), half piston near the bottom of the circle (with the play on the other side of the ice), half way to the net and at the net if there's a goal mouth scramble. We can bump beneath the goal line if necessary, but they don't want us consistently below the line.

33c22c3.jpg

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for the thoughtful response everyone. I'll take a further look and give your pointers a shot next time.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You'd be very comfortable officiating in Canadian minor hockey then. The Canadian version of the "Home Base" that we're taught is around the hash marks near the boards. We're taught a piston or cone system with 3 spots. Home Base, as mentioned (if the play is on your side), half piston near the bottom of the circle (with the play on the other side of the ice), half way to the net and at the net if there's a goal mouth scramble. We can bump beneath the goal line if necessary, but they don't want us consistently below the line.

33c22c3.jpg

Anyone that stands at home base in the Canadian system is just begging for a puck in the head, it's absolute idiotic that they teach that to kids.

Especially at the older kids level, minor bantam and above, standing at the hash marks on the boards is a death sentence, let alone when these kids "graduate" to doing beer league, you can't imagine how many partners I've had that insist on standing right there, and then wonder why they get nailed with the puck...

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Anyone that stands at home base in the Canadian system is just begging for a puck in the head, it's absolute idiotic that they teach that to kids.

Especially at the older kids level, minor bantam and above, standing at the hash marks on the boards is a death sentence, let alone when these kids "graduate" to doing beer league, you can't imagine how many partners I've had that insist on standing right there, and then wonder why they get nailed with the puck...

If Home Base is such a terrible place to be where are you supposed to stand? Anywhere else your going to get in the way of the play.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If Home Base is such a terrible place to be where are you supposed to stand? Anywhere else your going to get in the way of the play.

On the goal line, and then just pivot, don't be afraid to go behind the net to the other side, but if you don't want to do that, then you bump,

You are on the goal line, play is coming toward you, you bump, you step out, let them pass, and cut back in,

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
On the goal line, and then just pivot, don't be afraid to go behind the net to the other side, but if you don't want to do that, then you bump,

You are on the goal line, play is coming toward you, you bump, you step out, let them pass, and cut back in,

Yeah, I use the piston/cone system, but do generally stay lower than the diagram (especially for home base). Around the hash marks is where D-men do tend to like to clear it out of the zone.

I also ref roller hockey and for roller hockey they actually encourage you to stay low and go behind the goal line....that's likely why I've developed the habit of staying lower (usually above the goal line though) in ice and it's likely saved me from being hit with a few pucks.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

cc3934a8d5.png

Holy crap, thats horrible. We do 2 man for HS and the pay is $120 a man. Middle school is $80, also 2 man.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
How many games a day/week, and where do I move to?

Haha, Westchester County, NY.

I got 40 school games this year, but I went all the wait up to the section finals so I got some added games from that. (28 HS, 12 middle school).

Our association also does the travel teams in the county but the pay is a less for those games:

Mite - $40
Squirt - $45
PW - $55
Bantam - $65
Midget - $72
Adult - $79 (We do the FDNY adult league)

High school games are the big money makers.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014

I got 40 school games this year, but I went all the wait up to the section finals so I got some added games from that. (28 HS, 12 middle school).

Our association also does the travel teams in the county but the pay is a less for those games:

Mite - $40
Squirt - $45
PW - $55
Bantam - $65
Midget - $72

Holy crap, those rates are amazing! I wish we had those rates out here.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Mite - $40
Squirt - $45
PW - $55
Bantam - $65
Midget - $72

The rates are astounding, but how many games locally etc? You say 40 school games a year, I do about 40 games every two weeks, given they are adult league etc.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
The rates are astounding, but how many games locally etc? You say 40 school games a year, I do about 40 games every two weeks, given they are adult league etc.

I can't speak hockey persay, but I have reffed Touch Rugby (Which is closer to league than it is union) for around ten years. Money Wise pretty much the only money to be made is in the modules, above that it costs you or your province to ref above that, all on a volunteer basis.

Would love to be somewhere where I could Ref hockey, but that would be a big learning curve... lesson 1. How to skate hahaha

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Holy crap, thats horrible. We do 2 man for HS and the pay is $120 a man. Middle school is $80, also 2 man.
In the Toronto area the High School and Middle/Public School games are 2 man and pay $55 and $45 respectively, but they're also finished in about 50 minutes to an hour.

I know in other regions the games are much longer. How long are your games?

Mite - $40
Squirt - $45
PW - $55
Bantam - $65
Midget - $72

Again, how long are the games? If they're only 50 minute games then those are amazing rates!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad