Official Young Stars Tournament Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
If my calendar is right then the Young Stars tournament starts in about four weeks from Friday.
Finally some hockey !

When do these players report ? Will there be a short camp in Vancouver before they travel to Penticton?

Do we know a list of players ? Any ideas ? Any tv or streaming coverage. ?

MOD EDIT:

Schedule:
Game 1 - Calgary vs Winnipeg - Sept. 12 - 4:00 pm
Game 2 - Vancouver vs Edmonton - Sept. 12 - 7:30 pm
Game 3 - Calgary vs Edmonton - Sept. 13 - 7:30 pm
Game 4 - Vancouver vs Winnipeg - Sept. 14 - 2:00 pm
Game 5 - Vees' Exhibition - Sept. 14 - 5:30 pm
Game 6 - Edmonton vs Winnipeg - Sept. 15 - 11:30 am
Game 7 - Vancouver vs Calgary - Sept. 15 - 5:30 pm

*Game dates, times and opponents subject to change.

Confirmed Canucks Players:
G - Austin Lotz (Everett, WHL)
G - Jackson Whistle (Kelowna, WHL)

D - Jeremie Blain (Kalamazoo, ECHL)
D - Anton Cederholm (Portland, WHL)
D - Frankie Corrado (Utica, AHL/Vancouver, NHL)
D - Spencer Humprhies (Pirna, KHL)
D - Miles Liberati (North Bay, OHL)
D - Evan McEneny (Kingston, OHL)
D - Mackenzie Stewart (Prince Albert, WHL)
D - Jordan Subban (Belleville, OHL)
D - Josh Thrower (Tri City, WHL)

F - Matthew Bellerive (Vancouver, WHL)
F - Cole Cassels (Oshawa, OHL)
F - Dane Fox (Erie, OHL)
F - Brendan Gaunce (Erie, OHL)
F - Bo Horvat (London, OHL)
F - Cordell James (Barrie, OHL)
F - Nicklas Jensen (Utica, AHL/Vancouver, NHL)
F - Jonathon Martin (Kootenay, WHL)
F - Jared McCann (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)
F - Kyle Pettit (Erie, OHL) INJ
F - Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat, WHL)
F - Curtis Valk (Medicine Hat, WHL)
F - Jake Virtanen (Calgary, WHL) INJ
F - Klarc Wilson (Prince George, WHL)
F - Michael Zalewski (RP, ECAC)

Last edited by a moderator:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Does anybody know who our goalie will be? Demkos not coming, are Eriksson or Canata eligible what about Mathieu Corbeil?

Honestly i'm curious to see what they do...it's essentially going to have to be a platoon of "invitees" as we don't really have anyone in the system who fits the bill.

I can think of a few guys i'd throw out invites to, but who knows who we'll actually get.

Maybe we can give David Honzik a shout. :sarcasm:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Honestly i'm curious to see what they do...it's essentially going to have to be a platoon of "invitees" as we don't really have anyone in the system who fits the bill.

I can think of a few guys i'd throw out invites to, but who knows who we'll actually get.

Maybe we can give David Honzik a shout. :sarcasm:

I'm unsure about what the rules are, but I know that Corrado and Jensen are in the line-up, so perhaps that suggests the AHL starters in goal can be included.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm unsure about what the rules are, but I know that Corrado and Jensen are in the line-up, so perhaps that suggests the AHL starters in goal can be included.

Cannata & Eriksson are 24 though. That's pretty significant. If you're gonna send them, you might as well send Markstrom too.

I think it will probably be invites, much like our "Prospect Development Camp" earlier this summer (minus Demko for obvious reasons). Probably mostly the same guys. Though i think there are others i'd prefer to see, they may very well end up getting other opportunities this summer or have other prior engagements.

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
Went last year with a couple of friends and had a blast, going again this year, already have the tickets! It's pretty much everyone in the system that isn't NHL calibre yet. So yeah, lots of AHLers and 7th round players who don't have too much promise, but lots of players to watch.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I went with a couple hfers last year. Got wasted had a blast. Can't wait to go again this year. And even better there's a yoga convention on town:D

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
If my calendar is right then the Young Stars tournament starts in about four weeks from Friday.
Finally some hockey !

When do these players report ? Will there be a short camp in Vancouver before they travel to Penticton?

Do we know a list of players ? Any ideas ? Any tv or streaming coverage. ?

Looks like a very good line up of talent! From the Canucks site:

Penticton, BC , — The 2014 Young Stars Classic in Penticton, BC, beginning Friday, September 12, 2014, will feature a number of notable prospects of the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets. A total of twelve first round draft picks will be participating in the event this year. Over the past three Young Star Classics, over 65 players have gone on to play NHL games. Complete rosters will be released at a later date.

The Vancouver Canucks roster will include five players selected in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft since 2011: Jared McCann (24th overall in 2014), Bo Horvat (9th overall in 2013), Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall in 2013), Brendan Gaunce (26th overall in 2012), and Nicklas Jensen (29th overall in 2011). Dane Fox, who led the Ontario Hockey League in goals (64) and ranked second in points (107) in 2013.14, will also attend the event alongside two players, Frank Corrado and Mike Zalewski, who spent time on the Canucks roster last season.

The Calgary Flames roster includes three first round draft picks: Sam Bennett (4th overall in 2014), Emile Poirier (22nd overall in 2013) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th overall in 2013). In addition, Mason McDonald, the 34th overall pick and first goalie to be drafted in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft has been named to the roster. John Gaudreau, winner of the 2014 Hobey Baker Award, will also be in attendance.

The Edmonton Oilers roster will include Leon Draisaitl (selected 3rd overall in 2014), Darnell Nurse (selected 7th overall in 2013), Mitch Moroz (selected 32nd overall in 2012) and David Musil (selected 31st overall 2011). Laurent Brossoit, who was named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team and ECHL 2nd All-Star Team following the 2013.14 season, will also attend the event.

The Winnipeg Jets roster includes two first round picks: Nikolaj Ehlers (9th overall in 2014) and Josh Morrissey (13th overall in 2013). The list also includes Nic Petan and J.C. Lipon, who represented Canada at the World Junior Championships in 2014 and 2013, respectively. Ryan Olsen, who collected 73 points in 2013.14 with the Kelowna Rockets, has been named to the tournament. Scott Kosmachuk, who collected 101 points and appeared in the Memorial Cup final with the Guelph Storm and 2014 NCAA Goalie of the Year Connor Hellebuyck will appear at the Young Stars Classic.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Really looking forward to this tournament with all four teams looking like they're on equal footing as opposed to having a tournament with Taylor Hall or Nugent Hopkins just tearing it up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
To be more specific, i'd expect that in net we'll see some combination of:

-Austin Lotz.
-Michael Garteig.
-Matt O'Connor.
-Jackson Whistle.

I can think of others that i'd rather see given a look, but i'd assume that's the most likely cast of characters. Lotz is definitely worth a prospect tournament invite imo. The others i know less about.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
If I were to go with some friends, does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in Penticton? I know next to nothing about the place.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I went with a couple hfers last year. Got wasted had a blast. Can't wait to go again this year. And even better there's a yoga convention on town:D

If I were to go with some friends, does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in Penticton? I know next to nothing about the place.

Personally, i'd recommend staying near the Yoga Convention. :naughty:

But i don't actually know anything about the details of that. :(

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia

Me and my friends stayed at the Super 8 last year and are doing it again. There were three of us, 2 beds, so rotated the two nights with the driver getting a bed both nights.Really nice rooms, and is fairly close to pretty much everything in the city, including the stadium. That's my recommendation. Cost of 2 nights for a two bedder was around $210 I believe

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
After the development camp, Josh Thrower tweeted that he's looking forward to going to Penticton. Not sure, though, if it was wishful thinking on his part or confirmation that he's received an invitation from the Canucks.

https://twitter.com/JoshThrower21

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Really disappointed in the one last year. We only wanted to go for one day, since it was mostly a golfing trip. We went the last day, and it was in the practice facility, and we could only see half the ice. I had bought my tickets early and was told they were good seats.

We left after the first period in disgust. Compared to my season's tickets they were cheap, but I won't bother again.

The problem was that they changed the venue to the practice facility after the tickets were sold.

So it goes. Hope they have a good camp.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
How come the ducks and sharks are not coming anymore? Having their own tourney ?

Last year went down as group of 12 rented sweet house stayed for entire week except for the last game. That was great bachelor party week.

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
Lots of question about this tournament and not many answers. Hopefully the Canucks will start feeding us some tidbits - who will be there etc. I think at least some of the games were televised last year. ??

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I tried to buy a single game ticket only to find out you have to buy the package. Not worth it for me as I would only have time for 1 game. Oh well....

:(

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Lots of question about this tournament and not many answers. Hopefully the Canucks will start feeding us some tidbits - who will be there etc. I think at least some of the games were televised last year. ??

AFAIK they weren't televised, but they were all streamed and will be again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad