OT: Official TV & Movie Spoiler/Speculation/Rumor Thread-See Mod Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The scene where "he" comes onto the ship...wrecking shop. So...so good. The visual coming through the smoke was epic! I was at my peak amped up around the "shield gate" scene.....just fantastic. Can't wait to rewatch.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I half considered the last showing at the AMC Tysons Corner as there were decent tickets available rather wait till mid-week next week. Do wish they had IMAX non-3D BS.

Just noticed this post. Figured I'd use it as a PSA regarding what IMAX is and isn't.

If a theater shows "IMAX 3-D" then it doesn't actually have an IMAX projector and most likely also doesn't have an IMAX-sized screen or sound system. All 3-D projection systems are 2K digital projectors, while IMAX is 70mm analog. Additionally, around the time of the "IMAX 3-D" craze, a number of traditional theaters were retrofitted into "IMAX" despite the fact that they are not the proper scale for IMAX. They're essentially just slightly upsized screens compared to traditional movies, but still a fraction of the true size of IMAX.

ZZ68ECE699.jpg

The link below has a lot more information describing the differences:
http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/

AFAIK, the only two true IMAX theaters in the DMV are the Air & Space Museums (downtown and Udvar Hazy/Chantilly).

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The only thing I didn't like about Rogue One was the score. It was terrible. So many scenes -- particularly the spectacular space battle at the end -- were just not appropriately supported by the music. Wish John Williams had been given the reins and not Michael Giacchino.

Other than that, a great movie.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The only thing I didn't like about Rogue One was the score. It was terrible. So many scenes -- particularly the spectacular space battle at the end -- were just not appropriately supported by the music. Wish John Williams had been given the reins and not Michael Giacchino.

Other than that, a great movie.

Apparently they were forced to replace Desplat late in the process, so Giacchino had to do the entire score in 4 and a half weeks. He was put in a really tough situation.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agree..plus always had a thing for Saffron Burrows.

Appreciate how much you go to the movies, CCF. I use to go a ton in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. The advent of blurays and big screen HD tvs (as well as having a good home theater system) and an enjoyment in picking up physical media just took movie going out for me. That said I think the all assigned seating is a great thing and makes it more inclined to go but I'm still only averaging 3 to 6 movies a year.

Different topic plotting a LG OLED 4k tv upgrade in two years time. Easy to forget I'll need to upgrade the receiver which is annoying as my current one still crushes. Been picking up 4k blurays if I was planning on buying the title as regular bluray anyways.

Saffron....drooool.....those lips. :naughty:

I'm anti physical media (DVDs, blurays, etc). I love streaming content. I haven't bought a movie on physical media in YEARS. I used to be the big collection guy, but I've shed those physical bonds.

Here's the thing, I have a huge home theater that I use for mostly sports watching and movies. I just LOVE going TO the theater. I love the experience. My favorite format is Imax, non-3d. Just a big damn screen and absurdly loud sound. Even in my home theater I can't reproduce that (get back to me about my home Imax after I win the Powerball)....I'm a huge multi-tasker, so when I go to the theater, I'm forced to focus on one thing only and I like that. Also, I'm a Moviepass member which has allowed me to go often and save a LOT of $$.

My next big upgrade will be a 4k projector. 4K TV's have dropped in price soooooo much. HDR baby...that's the next big one IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The score was completely forgettable.

http://ew.com/article/2016/12/09/rogue-one-star-wars-michael-giacchino-score/

Fox seemed to love it....different strokes.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ne-star-wars-story-is-superb-action-film.html

Giacchino has unequivocally written a knock-out score steeped in "Star Wars" tradition without sacrificing his own unique voice. The score features memorable themes – something that is also very difficult to accomplish in 2017 – while occasionally weaving in some of Williams' classics. Jyn's theme, which grounds the entire score, is a highlight in Giacchino's body of work.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just watched the movie "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck". Guy was enormously talented, but also clinically insane, especially with the ridiculous amount of heroin he ingested.

Got me thinking about who was my favorite 90s band/ artist, and who was my most overrated. My favorite would have to be Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails -- the guy was a true visionary, his music was so original and yet it worked at the same time.

Most overrated was Pearl Jam. Their music sounds like the product of some corporate meeting -- so mediocre, such a compromise.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Just watched the movie "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck". Guy was enormously talented, but also clinically insane, especially with the ridiculous amount of heroin he ingested.

Got me thinking about who was my favorite 90s band/ artist, and who was my most overrated. My favorite would have to be Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails -- the guy was a true visionary, his music was so original and yet it worked at the same time.

Most overrated was Pearl Jam. Their music sounds like the product of some corporate meeting -- so mediocre, such a compromise.

Definitely can see that with Reznor. I don't think there are even bands out there that can even come close to copying NIN.

I give Korn some props for carrying the metal banner in the mid90s after grunge put metal back down into the garges.

Pearl Jam is basically just a one album band for me (Ten).

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Carrie Fisher RIP. That's actually one celebrity I do care about. I might actually shed a tear :cry:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Don't know how anyone can defend the prequels unless they saw them when they were under 10 years old, heh. The 3rd was barely OK. The first one so terrible I almost walked out of the theater. Me and my buddy who saw it with me just couldn't believe how bad it was.

I fell asleep during the first one.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Interesting.

https://deadline.com/2017/01/x-men-drama-pilot-order-fox-1201883636/

The untitled series, which had a put pilot commitment, focuses on two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive. The show appears particularly timely, dealing with the plight of minorities in society.

Nix exec produced with Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, plus Marvel’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad