Official: Trois-Rivieres, Qc is in for 2021-22

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Du hockey professionnel à Trois-Rivières dès l'automne 2021 | Site officiel de la Ville de Trois-Rivières
The deal is official between the team and the city. (15 years lease)
The name will probably be "Draveurs", and they will be affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens.

Very deceptive title. Trois-Rivières is not in the league until they are officially announced as a team by the league. Signing a lease agreement means nothing until they acquire a franchise, which they have not accomplished yet.

Reactions: Atlantian

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
Very deceptive title. Trois-Rivières is not in the league until they are officially announced as a team by the league. Signing a lease agreement means nothing until they acquire a franchise, which they have not accomplished yet.
Lol
You can wait for the league announcement if you want ;)

The owner said it's only a formality with the ECHL. They are gonna announce it in the next 60 days.
Dean MacDonald: «À nous de faire le travail»

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Lol
You can wait for the league announcement if you want ;)

The owner said it's only a formality with the ECHL. They are gonna announce it in the next 60 days.
Dean MacDonald: «À nous de faire le travail»

I will believe it when I see it. The number of times the good folks of HF Boards have heard that an announcement is imminent is too high. Just in this year alone we have heard that great story on University of Illinois, Navy, Manchester, among others. It is never official until the league announces it.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I will believe it when I see it. The number of times the good folks of HF Boards have heard that an announcement is imminent is too high. Just in this year alone we have heard that great story on University of Illinois, Navy, Manchester, among others. It is never official until the league announces it.
How DARE you besmirch the stellar record of this esteemed body of hockey experts & insiders who have the uncannily common ability to deduce the indeducible, predict the unpredictable, and pronounce the unpronounceable? :huh:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

You have to have a lease agreement in place before you can be awarded an expansion team. It's part of the vetting process.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
You have to have a lease agreement in place before you can be awarded an expansion team. It's part of the vetting process.

Which supports my point that it is deceptive and premature to say that Trois-Rivières is officially in for 2021-22.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
They seemed to have narrowed down potential names. Here are the finalists from the suggestions sent in.

• The torch
  • La Forge or Les Forgerons
  • The Trois-Rivières Hockey Club
  • The Lions
  • Residents
  • The Saints
  • The Tritons
  • The 1634

You can select what one you like the most at the link below

Nom de l'équipe

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Les Riverains is the best, I think.

Riverains de Trois-Rivieres is too redundant of a name.

It's like you're calling them Three-Rivers Riverfolk.

My two favorites are:

- Le Flambeau: which is a reference to the Habs' symbolic use of the torch.

- Le CH de Trois-Rivieres: it is probably a boring name for many, but I like the simplicity of the Club de Hockey de Trois-Rivieres, which again, is a nod to the Habs and the CH in their logo (which also stands for Club de Hockey).

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Riverains de Trois-Rivieres is too redundant of a name.

It's like you're calling them Three-Rivers Riverfolk.

My two favorites are:

- Le Flambeau: which is a reference to the Habs' symbolic use of the torch.

- Le CH de Trois-Rivieres: it is probably a boring name for many, but I like the simplicity of the Club de Hockey de Trois-Rivieres, which again, is a nod to the Habs and the CH in their logo (which also stands for Club de Hockey).

Yeah, me not caring about the Habs at all does not make me like your suggestions :laugh:

But, marketing wise, considering they will likely be the Habs affiliate, it makes total sense.

You are right about Riverains, I just think it sounds good.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
ECHL Approves Two Expansion Memberships

January 12, 2021 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release

PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the League's Board of Governors has approved expansion applications for Coralville, Iowa and Trois-Rivières, Quebec to begin play for the 2021-22 Season.
Coralville and Trois-Rivières are both owned by Dean MacDonald through Deacon Sports and Entertainment, which also owns the Newfoundland Growlers in the league. Coralville will play out of Xtreme Arena, a 5,100 seat venue which was completed in September 2020, while Trois-Rivières will play out of Le Nouveau Colisée, a new construction that will host 4,390 fans.
"This is an extremely exciting day for the ECHL and the future of our League, welcoming these two great markets and beautiful state-of-the-art facilities," said ECHL Commissioner Ryan Crelin. "We have a great history of working with Dean's ownership group and leadership team and look forward to bringing ECHL hockey to Trois-Rivieres and Coralville, making an impact as an asset to these communities."
"We are thrilled to help bring professional hockey to Coralville and Trois-Rivières," said Dean MacDonald Chair of Deacon Sports and Entertainment. "Residents in both markets have responded with incredible enthusiasm for the ECHL product and now that our membership is official, we are one step closer to dropping the puck in the fall. This announcement is a credit to our strong partnerships with both municipalities, led by Mayor John Lundell of Coraville, Iowa and Mayor Jean Lamarche of Trois-Rivières, Quebec, and their significant efforts in helping this initiative happen."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad