GDT: Official Trade Deadline Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
people who want to make a trade: we already have 7 dmen and we have a couple UFA's that i dont think we will get proper assets for so why bother trading?

geez calm down

Leafs Life Hockey*

The same people *****ing about trading picks for ROB are *****ing that we're not trading picks for ROB-esque players this season.

As someone who hated that OByrne deal, when I think of Nonis as GM on trade deadline, I think of it as like asking a 5 year old kid to drive a car. You know you MUST get to the destination, the kid is the only option; thus, you are better off not going.

(Sorry for horrible analogy, best I could do).

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
So the players that we are losing after this year:

Kulemin
Bolland
Mayray?

Did they not learn ****ing nothing from last season? They are admittedly not making moves because they don't expect to contend this season and yet "they will use their UFA's as own rentals"? Does that NOT make any sense to anyone else? FFS.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Prices haven't been high at all.

Can't say "prices were too high!" in any PC.

More likely you will hear that "there wasn't a good fit".

Which could definitely be true. Although, I wouldn't have minded Robidas for a 4th, that's for sure.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Nobody gave up a Kadri-esque asset today. You people are acting like the prices today are sky high. EVERYBODY is going for low prices! We could've grabbed anybody. Even Vanek went for a 3rd liner and a first LOL gimmie a break.

And fit them where? Like it or not, we don't have cap space, and if we had that, we don't have the picks to toss for those guys. Either way we came into today knowing it was either go big or do nothing. Nobody is making hockey trades, which is why we're standing pat.

Now, if by some miracle Nonis gets an impact D-man in the next 5 minutes, you can bet guys like Gardiner/Franson/Gunnarson/Kulemin/Bolland are going to be heading back, and right now it doesn't look like anything fits with that M.O., especially considering we'd only make moves for same age players...

Nonis will make whatever moves he feels are necessary come summer, where teams will be more open for hockey deals, and we have more space to have some moving pieces.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
That's my usual stance, but when a guy like Robidas goes for a fourth, it sure makes it seem like an upgrade was entirely possibly without giving up anything like Kadri.

I don't see why so many are immediate to jump to the conclusion Robidas is some godsend that will come fix our D.
- He could easily end up playing 12 games or less for this team.
- We'd have to move someone out to make room for his cap hit.
- He's 37 years old, coming off a serious leg injury.

It seems very over-ambitious to me that he'd come in and have even a Gleason-eque impact.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
The panels on TSN are losing their **** that Vanek has to be traded. They are going to be so pissed if he doesn't. :laugh:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

Kulemin
Bolland
Mayray?

Did they not learn ****ing nothing from last season? They are admittedly not making moves because they don't expect to contend this season and yet "they will use their UFA's as own rentals"? Does that NOT make any sense to anyone else? FFS.
How do you know the Leafs will lose them for nothing? Do you have a crystal ball that we don't know about?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Kulemin
Bolland
Mayray?

Nope makes no sense. Especially when they have young guys who can fil in pretty easily (Holland, D'Amigo, Ashton)

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I would love Nonis to troll the fans.

"ya, I had a deal in place for a top 4 right handed d-man but they wanted a 2nd rounder and I don't have any left. I could have got a first rounded for Clarkson, Raymond or Kulemin but it didn't feel right. GM's were trying to give me great players for nothing but I held firm and said no way!"

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 36s
CHI is done on a quiet day for Hawks. TOR likely finished as well. NYR chasing a depth Dman before deadline hits. Liking Diaz in VAN

Pack it in boys another 4 years of Nonis doing this

Leafs Life Hockey*

Like we have a SOLID D CORE! :sarcasm:

Why the sarcasm? Leafs just give up 3 goals a game. Teams like Ottawa, Florida, Edmonton, Islanders would line up to have our defense core.

Besides, as someone said, we have 7 D-men and quantity > quality AINEC.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

Kulemin
Bolland
Mayray?

To me, there's a big difference between "not expecting to contend" and "selling". Gutting our bottom six in playoff position doesn't strike me as a very good idea. Now if we were outside a playoff spot, I would tend to agree with you.

Nonis is probably going to see how far we can get with this group.

And I seriously doubt we lose all three of Kulemin, Raymond and Bolland. Likely one of them. You don't trade players you are planning on re-signing, except under special circumstances.

McClement is also a UFA I believe.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Incredibly quiet trade deadline so far.

Pretty much no one in our division got much better. Minor upgrades at best.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Things being cheap is why we didn't move. we had some guys to sell as UFA's and not a lot to buy at the deadline.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 36s
CHI is done on a quiet day for Hawks. TOR likely finished as well. NYR chasing a depth Dman before deadline hits. Liking Diaz in VAN

Pack it in boys another 4 years of Nonis doing this

Don't you have to start something in order to be finished?

Kyle Doobas*

:laugh:

I will say, I wasn't expecting a rental, but again, just something small to help support the defense - they need help.
With Percy, Granberg, Finn, Brennan, MacWilliam on their way up in the next year or two, we'll get plenty of help on the blue line long-term. I wouldn't have hated a 5th for Weaver-type deal, just to help us for the rest of the season + playoffs, and potentially re-sign him on the cheap for next season. He's obviously not going to 'put us over the top' but we've seen what a stabilizing presence like that can do with Gleason. Our second pairing isn't cutting it at all right now and I don't see us getting past the first round of the playoffs with this defensive corps.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Kulemin
Bolland
Mayray?

Makes sense to me. Why risk missing the playoffs be dealing important pieces?

And who said we cant re-sign them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad