Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.) - Rebooted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruce Allen has it right about Felger and his ilk. We are in the golden age of Boston sports, and they're constantly telling us we should be miserable. It's not reasoned, critical analysis, it's crapping in the punchbowl.

The only response is a simple one. Don't listen.

so true

imagine if we were Philadelphia sports?

the Phillies are arguably the worst team in MLB and their farm system is bottom third as they try and dig out

The Sixers are the Edmonton Oilers of basketball

The Eagles are entertaining but they envoke the same confidence the Red Sox did pre 2004 they would someday win it all

the Flyers haven't won in 40 years and will miss the playoffs

Felger is in the wrong city but if he did it in Philly he'd just be telling the truth

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
so true

imagine if we were Philadelphia sports?

the Phillies are arguably the worst team in MLB and their farm system is bottom third as they try and dig out

The Sixers are the Edmonton Oilers of basketball

The Eagles are entertaining but they envoke the same confidence the Red Sox did pre 2004 they would someday win it all

the Flyers haven't won in 40 years and will miss the playoffs

Felger is in the wrong city but if he did it in Philly he'd just be telling the truth

He was taught by Ordway who thrived in the late 90's when it was all sports crap in Boston.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
You seem to either forget or ignore that your boy Callahan learned at the feet of the Big O as well. Was one of the first regulars on the big show back when it started.

What I find interesting is that some people act as if Felger is one of the worst people in the local media because he trolls. Yet act as if a certain someone on D&C is refreshing and completely different, despite the fact that he frequently trolls and (unlike Felger) plans when he'll make bold/idiotic statements in order to try and get ratings. I've been critical of Felger, and have posted about what I don't like about him multiple times over the last few months, but at least when he trolls and is controversial it doesn't sound like it's planned, but rather in the moment.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You pretty much summed up exactly why I stopped listening. It is one thing to mock a player or coach but to do the same to the fans of the Boston teams is down right arrogant. When I started describing the feeling as "stressful" listening to him is when I turned the channel. Dale and Holley may not be edgy but they have an intelligent conversation about the topics they cover.

It's the glib, careless use of terms like "garbage" to describe players - human beings - that turned me off the most. He has little idea what Chris Kelly brings to the Bruins, for example, and doesn't care.

Glad I don't listen really listen anymore.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What I find interesting is that some people act as if Felger is one of the worst people in the local media because he trolls. Yet act as if a certain someone on D&C is refreshing and completely different, despite the fact that he frequently trolls and (unlike Felger) plans when he'll make bold/idiotic statements in order to try and get ratings. I've been critical of Felger, and have posted about what I don't like about him multiple times over the last few months, but at least when he trolls and is controversial it doesn't sound like it's planned, but rather in the moment.

Yeah, that's puzzling to me as well. They rip Felger for his act, yet love Kirk and say he's really funny for doing a poor man's imitation of Felger.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It all goes back to the Godfather

It does. He's a legend too. Funny thing about Eddie is that I always hated his take on everything related to sports. The one area I'll give him credit for is talking boxing. Nobody else ever covers it, but he did, which was great. I never agreed with a thing that came out of his mouth generally speaking, but I got to meet him at one of his hot dog safaris a long time ago, and he was easily the nicest most genuine person out of all the radio broadcasters I got to meet that day. By far the most sincere and accommodating. Took pictures with every fan that asked. Answered inane question after inane question all day long and did it with a smile. Most of the other personalities were complete turds, including one that posts here from time to time. :naughty:

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Yeah, that's puzzling to me as well. They rip Felger for his act, yet love Kirk and say he's really funny for doing a poor man's imitation of Felger.

Minihane got off easy on the Andrews comment, at least locally. There definitely was/is truth to what he said about her not being the most talented reporter, but can you imagine if Felger or Toucher made the same comment? The outcry would've been FAR worse. With the latter, D&C would act as if he just killed someone. I mean, they made Rich out to be the scum of the earth for a solid week when they had that little poopie kid on their show for a few minutes.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

You can like whatever show or station you want. You can like or hate "planned" or "in the moment" rants at your discretion.

All that is a matter of personal taste.

However, I think you are dead wrong to think that Felger's rants (many of which I find entertaining, even if they do go on too long and get repetitive) are "in the moment" and are unplanned. Trust me. He knows exactly what he's going off on each day in advance. To me, that doesn't make it good or bad, but I find it curious to condmen Minihane for it and not to recognize Felger's similar M.O.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
It's the glib, careless use of terms like "garbage" to describe players - human beings - that turned me off the most. He has little idea what Chris Kelly brings to the Bruins, for example, and doesn't care.

Glad I don't listen really listen anymore.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.â€
― Theodore Roosevelt

Describes Felger and his ilk perfectly, IMHO.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Based on the fact that I've listened to WEEI regularly since 1991, I'll guess that I've listened to more sports radio than about 90% of posters here.

During that time, I've heard countless hours of Felger talking down to, dismissing, and blatantly stating his lack of respect for the fans of all the Boston teams.

Minihane may make comments designed to stir the pot, but he's never shown the disdain for us that Felger has.

In short, if you can read this, understand that Felger thinks that you're an unintelligent, yahoo, chump.

It's that simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad