Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with RFA defenseman Tommy Hughes

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Gorton going through all the depth signings today before the weekend. And then 100% focus on Hayes/Kreider.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Good for Tommy, the guys a pro.

He's someone who doesn't have the wheels to be an NHL defenseman, but everything else about him just says pro hockey player.

Hope he got six figs down in HFD.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Good for Tommy, the guys a pro.

He's someone who doesn't have the wheels to be an NHL defenseman, but everything else about him just says pro hockey player.

Hope he got six figs down in HFD.

According to General Fanager, his AHL salary is 65k, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hoping Hrivik somes back, too.

Yeah me too, I don't think he'll get a one way deal, and could earn a lot more in Europe.

Hrivik will play on the Slovakian national team often, so we'll see him around if it's not with the Rangers.

KreiderHouseRules*

Yeah me too, I don't think he'll get a one way deal, and could earn a lot more in Europe.

Hrivik will play on the Slovakian national team often, so we'll see him around if it's not with the Rangers.

Could learn a lot more in Europe?

I thought he looked very good at protecting the puck and making the smart, simple play in his own zone in his brief stint in the NHL.

And scored at a 50 point pace in the AHL.

For a guy who will play on our 4th line, that screams ready to me.

He was certainly better than Glass in that spot. I don't see why he'd go back to Europe. Either he signs w the Rangers or they trade him without really giving him a chance, which IMO would be stupid.

Let him battle for a spot in camp. If he doesn't win the 4th line or 13thF spot, he plays in HFD another year.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I thought he looked very good at protecting the puck and making the smart, simple play in his own zone in his brief stint in the NHL.

He was certainly better than Glass in that spot. I don't see why he'd go back to Europe. Either he signs w the Rangers or they trade him without really giving him a chance, which IMO would be stupid.

Let him battle for a spot in camp. If he doesn't win the 4th line or 13thF spot, he plays in HFD another year.

He can earn a lot more in Europe, just need to take the L out from learn, he doesn't have a lot left from the AHL.

It's a personal decision for Marek. IMO he's ready to contribute but could be a case of other guys presenting better options to fill roles. He'll make a lot more money in Europe than the AHL. At some point you have the make the prudent decision for yourself and your family.

Hrivik is a good utility option, he can play center, take draws. Has more to offer on the PK side of things than he was put out for during his brief action.

He's a guy that could go the way of Ivan Baranka. Just toiled in the minors for too long before making the better financial move for himself. Marek's a good guy, the org likes him, but it's just a case of doing what's right for either parties.

KreiderHouseRules*

He can earn a lot more in Europe, just need to take the L out from learn, he doesn't have a lot left from the AHL.

It's a personal decision for Marek. IMO he's ready to contribute but could be a case of other guys presenting better options to fill roles. He'll make a lot more money in Europe than the AHL. At some point you have the make the prudent decision for yourself and your family.

Hrivik is a good utility option, he can play center, take draws. Has more to offer on the PK side of things than he was put out for during his brief action.

He's a guy that could go the way of Ivan Baranka. Just toiled in the minors for too long before making the better financial move for himself. Marek's a good guy, the org likes him, but it's just a case of doing what's right for either parties.

Oops mis-read. Sorry!

But he could still make a lot more in the NHL. Gorton is a total fool if he keeps Glass around. He should be traded for future considerations, bought out, or put in the minors to save a few hundred thousand. Hrivik can be the 12th/13th F here. Injuries happen.

Much rather have Hrivik here than Gerbe even. Gerbe is 5'5" and can't stay healthy. He's only good against softer, smaller teams. He gets brutalized by physical teams. Just can't handle it.

Kreider Stepan Nash
Miller Brassard Zuccarello
Grabner Hayes Buchnevich
Hrivik Jooris Fast
Gerbe

Lindberg on IR

Glass in minors

Kovacs challenges for a spot in camp.

I don't see why there isn't room for Hrivik. NYR haven't even given him a fair chance.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

He was certainly better than Glass in that spot. I don't see why he'd go back to Europe. Either he signs w the Rangers or tkhey trade him without really giving him a chance, which IMO would be stupid.

He's a RFA, hrivik can listen to and sign a contract with any NHL team. The Rangers can't prevent that--although they could match any offer and keep him. However, I don't think Hrivik is in much demand--he's played in North America since 2009, been in Hartford since 2011 and never stood out enough to get called up until the last couple of weeks of the season. He not even a tweener. Don't get me wrong, I've been following him since he was drafted, but I just don't think he's developed enough to really think that even if he is re-signed, he has more than an outside shot in training camp

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Oops mis-read. Sorry!

But he could still make a lot more in the NHL. Gorton is a total fool if he keeps Glass around. He should be traded for future considerations, bought out, or put in the minors to save a few hundred thousand. Hrivik can be the 12th/13th F here. Injuries happen.

Much rather have Hrivik here than Gerbe even. Gerbe is 5'5" and can't stay healthy. He's only good against softer, smaller teams. He gets brutalized by physical teams. Just can't handle it.

Kreider Stepan Nash
Miller Brassard Zuccarello
Grabner Hayes Buchnevich
Hrivik Jooris Fast
Gerbe

Lindberg on IR

Glass in minors

Kovacs challenges for a spot in camp.

I don't see why there isn't room for Hrivik. NYR haven't even given him a fair chance.

I'd prefer to see that over Gerbe. Definitely the size issue for the type of minutes he'll play, but that forward group isn't half bad at all like that. Brings a lot of speed and utility to the table.

Gerbe imo is one of those players that just ends up playing on losing teams... a poor man's version of Espen Knutsen. Don't want him playing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
From the games I saw a year ago, Hughes and McIlrath were by far the best defensemen on the Pack. Guy is unbelievably solid in his own end, skates pretty well, blocks shots, etc. He just doesn't have much offense. But as far as a pure defensive defenseman, there isn't much left to be desired.

Very happy he is back. Yet another UDFA signing this team got right even if he doesn't make the NHL. Need these depth guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad