Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with defenseman Mat Bodie.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If I didn't already know you were talking about Bodie (and the mentions of McIlrath and Skjei were absent), I would of sworn this was an early scouting report of Jared Spurgeon.

No Bodie doesn't have a NHL future, he's a few gears short of that to play that type of game at NHL speeds.

I was just saying that he can move the puck quickly at the AHL level, but can't really defend worth a lick.

Jared Spurgeon is a good enough player, like Ryan Ellis, they adapted to their skill set at the NHL level. Don't think Bodie can even hold up against 4th liners. Those guys can, and are very good PMD options on the third pair.

R2theDizzlE

Mar 28, 2014
Sound Beach, NY
No Bodie doesn't have a NHL future, he's a few gears short of that to play that type of game at NHL speeds.

I was just saying that he can move the puck quickly at the AHL level, but can't really defend worth a lick.

Jared Spurgeon is a good enough player, like Ryan Ellis, they adapted to their skill set at the NHL level. Don't think Bodie can even hold up against 4th liners. Those guys can, and are very good PMD options on the third pair.

I never thought Spurgeon would turn out as he did. Ellis didn't surprise me as much. I meant more of an early career Spurgeon.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Bodie went from a terrible defensive player early in the year to merely a bad one, and that's at the AHL level. In the NHL, you might as well put on an orange cone on defense instead of Bodie, it would be just as effective. He can move the puck, but isn't a great shooter, again in part because he has the body of a child. On the ice he looks like he's wearing his dad's jersey.

If he's reading this, and most prospects do, go buy Argenine, P6 Red, and Creatine at the GNC or bodybuilding.com. Take Argenine in the morning, P6 right before the workout (8 weeks), creatine (and a protein shake) post workout. Do 500 reps per workout 6 times a week. P6 will make you workout like you are on crack, you won't be able to stop until it wears off. Eat lots of chicken and fish, and good carbs like sweet potatoes and buckwheat.

You can probably gain 6-8 pounds of lean muscle by the preseason. That's more than half an inch of additional muscle on your arms, chest, shoulders, thighs. Get regular weekly massages to avoid muscle pulls right before preseason.

P.S. I am assuming here that he 1) gets beginner gains, 2) responds well to P6 testosterone booster (legal, it's in every GNC); 3) works out properly and eats well. Long term these gains are not sustainable, but for a beginner on his first P6 cycle, he can make good gains.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
That testosterone booster doesn't do anything but take money out of your wallet.

Depends on the person. The older you are, the better it works. If you are 18-20, it won't matter, but after 25/30, most people feel the difference. It's completely untrue that it does nothing for everyone. When I take P6, I start to sweat, my body heats up and I can't stop working out for hours and don't need breaks of more than a few seconds between sets. Even if it does nothing else, that alone is a big difference. I think it does boost your testosterone levels because it certainly skyrockets your libido, which is one of the side-effects of higher T levels.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he improve significantly at the end of the season.

I am not implying I saw him play a lot, I saw him play 3-4 times so if you regulars can opine on his progression that would be most welcome.

Nah.

Thing is, many around here can't stand a defensive mistake. A forward screws up an odd man rush? Well it happens. A D gives up a odd man rush, end of the world. The end result is the same, but reactions very different.

I agree that Bodie is real weak physically, and hence could have a hard time winning a spot in the NHL. He has always been fine when I've seen him though. Some struggles defensively as a first year pro was kind of to be expected, don't think I necessarily agree with making such a big deal of it.

I like Bodie, but more than his defense I am concerned about him getting it done offensively as in accounting for 40+ pts in the NHL. If he can play offense like Rafalski, he could play in the NHL. I think he could step it up in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad