*OFFICIAL* Niagara Ice Dogs 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Didn't see an offseason one, figured maybe not a lot of dog fans here??... figured I am a dog fan may as well make the official season thread for them.

Last one had 12 replies all last here, hoping the dogs generate more interest this year :laugh:

Hope we make playoffs this year, but have a feeling it will be more re-building. My guess is they will gear up once the new arena is built and try to be competitive than in order to draw the crowds

MOD- Please sticky with rest of OHL team threads, thanks.

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
Ya it will be a rebuilding year but should be fun to watch because according to nhl.com's CSS futures watch list, we have 4 guys that could go high in next years draft (Perlini, Moran, Haydon, and Protapovich).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677279

Hopefully the guys can pull it together and keep our playoff streak going.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Well we don't get much interest here because we have our own chat site.

It will be a slow year at times, but I think we will squeeze into the playoffs.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Ya it will be a rebuilding year but should be fun to watch because according to nhl.com's CSS futures watch list, we have 4 guys that could go high in next years draft (Perlini, Moran, Haydon, and Protapovich).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677279

Hopefully the guys can pull it together and keep our playoff streak going.
and we could have had Spencer Watson, who made U18 and scored 2 in the first ex game yesterday

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Zach Wilkie is a bit of a predator on the ice. Wilkie I think will become a fan favourite in Niagara. This guy plays with an edge and with passion. The strengths in Wilkie's game are similar to that of a young Dion Phanuef. Big shot, very very physical. He throws the body with intent to punish u. Its not just the hard hitting, its the consistent willingness to do that. He has above average speed and is a bit of a river boat gambler when he pinches. I personally think Wilkie's potential is through the roof.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Zach Wilkie is a bit of a predator on the ice. Wilkie I think will become a fan favourite in Niagara. This guy plays with an edge and with passion. The strengths in Wilkie's game are similar to that of a young Dion Phanuef. Big shot, very very physical. He throws the body with intent to punish u. Its not just the hard hitting, its the consistent willingness to do that. He has above average speed and is a bit of a river boat gambler when he pinches. I personally think Wilkie's potential is through the roof.

Yeah, I love Mack Lemmon... great name too. Kid will never make the show though... hopefully Wilkie has Mack's heart and more offensive flair.

Glad to see some chatter here.

What is the link for the dogs talk and such?... My bro does a lot in regards with the dogs but I think its mostly twitter with him and his cronies (all dog season ticket holders)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Looks like it could be a dreadful season for Niagara but I'll be keeping my eye on Brendan Perlini

barto316

Dec 30, 2009
There's a great deal of talent on this team but they are very young. They have 5 d in camp that are either 96's or 97's that look like they can play in Dunn, Sarris, Siebenaler, Mikulovich and Wilkie. They already had Mercer, Graham and Haydon in the fold. Bottom line is they will likely struggle out of the gate but pick it up as the season goes on. Look out for this team in the next 2 years though. They have a nice group of 95's, 96's and 97's. There will be almost no turnover and the team is very deep. The group of 96's on this squad is very impressive to say the least.

96's
Perlini
Haydon
Hiddink
Moran
Mikulovich
Protapovich
Hughes
Siebenaler
Dunn
Gillard
Berg
Caron

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
There's a great deal of talent on this team but they are very young. They have 5 d in camp that are either 96's or 97's that look like they can play in Dunn, Sarris, Siebenaler, Mikulovich and Wilkie. They already had Mercer, Graham and Haydon in the fold. Bottom line is they will likely struggle out of the gate but pick it up as the season goes on. Look out for this team in the next 2 years though. They have a nice group of 95's, 96's and 97's. There will be almost no turnover and the team is very deep. The group of 96's on this squad is very impressive to say the least.

96's
Perlini
Haydon
Hiddink
Moran
Mikulovich
Protapovich
Hughes
Siebenaler
Dunn
Gillard
Berg
Caron

How has Gilmour looked in camp?

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
From what I have been hearing Verhage hasn't looked too hot, but I guess Haydon lookede really good (or so I been told)

I am surprised as Verhage really did well with the Leafs prospect camp (or I what I read on their board)... hoping he can put together a solid season this year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I do think the Ice Dogs will be in a battle for a playoff spot with Oshawa,Missy and Belleville
They will have trouble scoring goals,but they are terribly young,work hard and several impressed me last tonite at Windsor despite losing 5-2
Now Niagara was missing 9 regulars,Windsor 10
Out of NF lineup were,Mercer,Graham,Heydon,Festerini,Verharghe,Maletta,Difrusciai,Fitzmorris and Perlini,while Windsor was without,Rychel,Johson,Giftopoulous,Verbee,Bilcke,Marchese,Bateman,Ebert,Seiloff and Koeokkoek
Young players such as Moran,the goalie despite allowing 5 played well,Dmen ,Dunn,Wilkie and especially Blake Siebenaler who is going to be a beauty in short order,both Russians,Dman,Mikulovich,and Center Protapovich,showed typical euro skill,Brook Hiddink who played with confidence,winger Sam Berg who scored and hit all nite,Mack Lemmon who scored as well and was the center of attention most of night after kneeing a Windsor player and not getting tossed,Hayden Mccool who has top end speed,seems to have a bright future,and forward Ben Hughes who played well at both ends
Considering young forwards such as Maletta ,Perlini,Verhaeghe,Difruscia and Dman Aaron Haydon did not play gives this team hope more so for 2014 and beyond when the Dogs move into their new arena next year

apx

Jan 8, 2013
Niagara
Went to the exhibition game last night against Kitchener (was intending on watching Davies, he didn't play)...

Just some thoughts;
- The Maletta, DiFruscia, Perlini line looked great. Young talented line, a lot of potential.
- Moran struggled, let in a few easy goals.
- Wilkie struggled a bit, threw a few nice hits though
- Berg did not look good (4th line, grinder, not sure what they see in him, 24 pts 215 PIM last year in the OJHL)
- Gilmour with the amount of ice he got did not look bad, could see him on 3rd line, a lot of potential.

I do think the Ice Dogs will be in a battle for a playoff spot with Oshawa,Missy and Belleville
They will have trouble scoring goals,but they are terribly young,work hard

Strongly agree with that ^^^^

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
That Perlini -Verhaeghe- Disfruscia line is great. Team is young but has a solid core. Will be exceptional in a season or two. This game should've been easily Niagara with their strong play in the first half of the game. Up 2 goals in the third, gotta put those away. Good experience for the youngsters.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Earlier today Jake Gilmour played his first regular season game of the year...with the Tier II Aurora Tigers. Has he been hurt and this is a conditioning stint? By the way, he picked up an assist.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
He would have to be considered A list now. I wonder if his season will be a roller coaster ride or not. Not sure anyone on this planet could have seen that coming. Barrie must feel sick about letting him go.

Definitely. Watching him play last year you definitely saw flashes in his game. When I saw him suit up in Niagara after the trade I began to question it on Barrie's end but then again they were going for it all. Not a bad trade for Barrie last year but now it's really starting to have an effect. A great start for the kid, but consistency will be key.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
Earlier today Jake Gilmour played his first regular season game of the year...with the Tier II Aurora Tigers. Has he been hurt and this is a conditioning stint? By the way, he picked up an assist.

Watched him this past Saturday night for Aurora, got about 4 shifts.....didn't have a big impact on play, maybe still trying to find his legs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad