*OFFICIAL* Kingston Frontenacs 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
They should bring back the last Fronts coach to have won a playoff round....if he's still alive.

Oh, he's still alive and still works for the team... the last Fronts coach to win a playoff round was the immortal Larry Mavety in 1998, the first season of his second tenure with the team.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I just found out that Gilmour has been with the Fronts 6 years. I didn't realize he has been there that long...and still no playoff success. He must be good friends of the owner or he would be gone by now...unless your name is Bassen.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
I just found out that Gilmour has been with the Fronts 6 years. I didn't realize he has been there that long...and still no playoff success. He must be good friends of the owner or he would be gone by now...unless your name is Bassen.

That's quite the myopic view.....you don't think the Fonts are in a better place now than when Gilmour first arrived? Notwithstanding this past first round playoff upset any knowledgeable hockey fan would have to put Kingston in the top 2-3 teams in the East next season, no?

Lots of teams at all levels take time to learn how to win before emerging as a champion......Rome was not built in a day.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
That's quite the myopic view.....you don't think the Fonts are in a better place now than when Gilmour first arrived? Notwithstanding this past first round playoff upset any knowledgeable hockey fan would have to put Kingston in the top 2-3 teams in the East next season, no?

Lots of teams at all levels take time to learn how to win before emerging as a champion......Rome was not built in a day.

All the more reason Gill should have been retained. Gill brought a lot more structure and discipline to this team then it has had in a long time. You can give Gilmour credit for great drafting but in reality there was only 6 kids he drafted in 3 years as GM that are on the team.That includes 3 high 1st round picks Spencer Watson,McGlynn who showed up last year and Matt Watson who was injured and used sparingly,Not a great track record.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The Gilmour lovers will stick with him no matter what. That's fine, I still think they have to win a playoff round next year or he's gone. Unless, of course, they have a good regular season and then the Gilmour lovers will point at that.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Speaking of a myopic view how about this recent quote from Fronts owner Doug Springer right after signing Gilmour and Keily to long term deals:

"Doug and Darren have guided the rebuild of our organization and have done an OUTSTANDING job assembling a TOP team and TOP organization".

So there you go, everything is hunky dorey....as long as you don't mention the year 1998.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
O'Grady and Dorval will be in the lineup next year. Probably Thom too, he's apparently a good shutdown guy. Hopefully Foegele gets drafted in the NHL and they want him to play in the OHL.

Of the 3, I like Dorval the most as OHL ready. O'grady I dont think is ready for full time OHL duty, this player resembles Diperna in many ways. Big wirey frame, great skater, big shot....balanced by lack of defensive game, inconsistent effort and hockey sense is questionable. Has the tools to develop into a major player from this draft but also shows signs that he will struggle. Thom I think will have to improve his skating ability a little bit or his strength's as a player(Big size and uses it, focused, Defense first, competitor) will not be utilized. At this time, he is not ready, imo. But a big summer working on his feet, u never know, probably gets some games as injuries happen for sure. At the very least Thom will have strong year in the OJHL.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Also expect a big year from Lawson Crouse, he looked really good towards the end of the season. He is going to put up some big numbers this year and be leaned on for the PK and a big body on the PP.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Also expect a big year from Lawson Crouse, he looked really good towards the end of the season. He is going to put up some big numbers this year and be leaned on for the PK and a big body on the PP.

I like Crouse a lot, I think he was a good selection at 5th overall in 2013. He really started to come on in the second half of the season and playoffs. What type of production do you think he provides next year for the Fronts?

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
One coach who did have some short-term success in Kingston (I believe the team's only first-place regular season finish and a bye in the first round in 1995) was Gary Agnew, who was let go by the St. Louis Blues this month to accommodate Kirk Muller.

Agnew's son played for the Vees a few years back and I heard somewhere he still vacations in the area. He's a guy who has had some OHL success. Any chance he may be looking to be a head coach and the Fronts may be looking at him?

AverageAtBest

Feb 2, 2011
@KingstonFronts: The Fronts are holding a media conference in their Boardroom at the Rogers K-Rock Centre tomorrow 10:00 a.m. to announce a player commitment

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
For what it's worth I read somewhere that Paul MacFarland the Generals asst coach will be named as the new HC.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Is this part of the highly publicized Blue Print we have been subjected to in K-town?

So not only are the Fronts going to have a new and possibly inexperienced head coach but they also have to fill a lot of huge holes especially on the D and possibly in nets.

The bandwagon jumpers we had this may start jumping back off the wagon, patience is something that has worn too thin with may a fan this club.

One thing will also be new, the Video/score clock. The taxpayer are on the hook for a new one, the old one is ONLY 5 years old and is screwed, unbelievable. The cost will be $500 K plus.

Stay tuned this whole situation and soap opera will have more twist and turns ahead.

http://www.thewhig.com/2014/05/15/k-rock-clock-out-of-time

Last edited:

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Is this part of the highly publicized Blue Print we have been subjected to in K-town?

So not only are the Fronts going to have a new and possibly inexperienced head coach but they also have to fill a lot of huge holes especially on the D and possibly in nets.

The bandwagon jumpers we had this may start jumping back off the wagon, patience is something that has worn too thin with may a fan this club.

One thing will also be new, the Video/score clock. The taxpayer are on the hook for a new one, the old one is ONLY 5 years old and is screwed, unbelievable. The cost will be $500 K plus.

Stay tuned this whole situation and soap opera had more twist and turns ahead.

http://www.thewhig.com/2014/05/15/k-rock-clock-out-of-time

Can't be raining every day....What happened to that happy guy in the 'blueprint' video?

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Oh I am enjoying the ride, I find this a lot of fun, I do sqwauk at times but hey I sqwuak at eveything, one does that as one gets older, it's our job as old farts. The entertainment value goes far beyond the product on the ice, for me a least, the speculation, the armchair quarterbacking, the jokes etc. is all part of it for me. Loving every minute of it. :yo:

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Oh I am enjoying the ride, I find this a lot of fun, I do sqwauk at times but hey I sqwuak at eveything, one does that as one gets older, it's our job as old farts. The entertainment value goes far beyond the product on the ice, for me a least, the speculation, the armchair quarterbacking, the jokes etc. is all part of it for me. Loving every minute of it. :yo:

Good to hear, your posts never suggest that, always seems doom and gloom...glad its not all so serious

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm also curious to see if they actually up the number of assistant coaches behind the bench. It just seems as though Kingston's always got fewer assistants than the other teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad