NHL: Official invite to become Senators Fan

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
Good day eh.

I have been living in Scandinavia, mainly Sweden, for the last two years. I have really come to appreciate the passion and knowledge of the Swedish hockey fans here.

In talking with most fans quite a number pay pretty close attention to the NHL during the regular season and really get into it in the playoffs. In my experience most people follow Swedish players and/or teams with Swedish players more closely.

It seems a lot of fans have latched onto to teams featuring star Swedes from the last 10 years (give or take). For instance there are a tonne of NYR and Detroit fans for obvious reasons, with Vancouver, Colorado and Toronto seemingly in a second tier. As all those teams have featured star Swedes, past and present. However rarely do I encounter a Sens fan or see people wearing Sens merchandise.

I understand starting to follow a team for whatever reason and now being a lifer, but the time has come to adopt the Ottawa senators. If you already have a team, add them if you do not follow a specific team now is the time to hop aboard.

The Senators are through a rough period and will look to compete for the cup in the coming years and feature a team filled with Swedish talent, they are the new Detroit.

Alfredsson- longest serving captain in NHL...the man, nothing more needs to be said! (hopefully sticks it out for one more year)

Karlsson- reigning Norris trophy winner...no other player like him in the world, exceptional talent and is one of if not the most exciting players to watch night in and night out (unfortunately out for season after freak skate cut injury)

Silfverberg- last years SEL scoring leader, and playoffs MVP. First year in the league and just getting comfortable, but will definitely be a star in the NHL. Super gifted offensively but is also very defensively aware (already and maybe prematurely being labelled an Alfredsson lite)

Zibanejad- last years WJHC golden goal boy. Also first year in NHL, the Sens high draft pick from a couple years back, but starting to enter his own and playing really well both ends of the ice, when he and Silfverberg are playing together and going, they are special to watch. A bulldog on skates with a good set of hands.

Lehner- Senators goalie of the future. Currently carrying the load with a injury to Anderson and looking good doing it. He had been brought along slowly in Ottawa as goalies should be but he is ready and proving it nightly.

Now I don't know of any other team with as many high end Swedish players, that will be leading their team into the future but there it is. The Senators are currently in playoffs spot while missing essentially their entire top offensive line, top defensive unit and top goalie for pretty much the whole season. While it has not only been the Swedish players maintaining their playoffs spot they have been a major part of it. All while being forced into roles that I am sure management would have preferred be given to them next year *three rookies playing major roles not necessarily what you want, but is working so far.

So climb aboard or don't, but you cannot say you were not warned. You don't wanna get caught cheering for some random team and have them face the mighty Senators and be saying, 'damn Silfverberg just put my team out of the playoffs, I never even knew he was in the NHL yet'.

:cheers:

p.s. if you all know all this already, then sorry, it just seems that most people I talk with do not seriously consider the Senators or are aware of all the Swedes on the team.
p.p.s. do not mean to say Swedes only cheer for Swedish players...but in my experience it definitely leads to added interest (I am Canadian but do not exclusively follow Canadian players...obviously)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Or they could be a fan of a real team like the Maple Leafs! We have Carl Gunnarsson and 4 Swedish prospects! Come to the good side!

Reactions: Kelly

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Great initiative making this thread, i sence a entrepreneur in you :)

Anyway if you lived here 2 years you should know that the majority of hockeyfans only follow elitserien, but since you should also know swedish by now you can go to a swedish forum and make ur case. I think most swedes on hfboards are here particularly because we are nhl fans and have already given our loyalty to a nhl team.

Just dont take it personally if you post on flashback, most swedes there are very anti-beingtoldwhattodo/commercial :laugh:

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
I've been a hockey fan for as long as I can remember and an NHL fan since 1993 and I've never really had a favorite team. Sure, I've bandwagoned a few times when I was younger, but I've never been able to stick to one team. I've been supporting the Jets since the Thrashers relocated a couple of seasons back, but I couldn't really commit to one team. Usually I will watch a bunch of games and then follow teams who play entertaining hockey more closely and the last few seasons it's been the Sens. :handclap:

djf

Jun 9, 2012
I'm allready sort of rooting for the Sens, my second favourite team (And the only Canadian team I like:naughty:) in the east after NYR. Then we have Ducks and the Wild in the West :laugh:

Edit: You need more Färjestad players, then you'd rise up my list! Stop adding stupid Djurgården and Brynäs-players :P Trade them for Klefbom, Brodin and Johansson and I'll switch full time to being a Sens fan :D

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I'm allready sort of rooting for the Sens, my second favourite team (And the only Canadian team I like:naughty:) in the east after NYR. Then we have Ducks and the Wild in the West :laugh:

Edit: You need more Färjestad players, then you'd rise up my list! Stop adding stupid Djurgården and Brynäs-players :P Trade them for Klefbom, Brodin and Johansson and I'll switch full time to being a Sens fan :D

We only draft from 3 teams buddy, Frolunda, Brynas and Djurgarden ;)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
well, not JUST 3 teams...

Wickstrand - Mora
Petersson - HV71
Regin (danish) - Timra

i think our last Farjestads player was Magnus Arvedsson in 97.

clearly we've focused on Brynas and Frolunda though, with a few Djurgardens players recently too.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I'm a Pittsburgh fan and we hav'nt had a regular swede since 2006-07. Obviously now it's more then nice to have gotten Douglas Murray and hopefully it's only jubilant times ahead now.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
I just pick seemingly exciting games and enjoy them without having any stakes in them. I've tried over the years to "choose" a favorite team, but with an unhealthy obsession with my SEL-team I feel like I can't invest wholeheartedly in another team or I'd suffer from heart failure.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I've been a hockey fan for as long as I can remember and an NHL fan since 1993 and I've never really had a favorite team. Sure, I've bandwagoned a few times when I was younger, but I've never been able to stick to one team. I've been supporting the Jets since the Thrashers relocated a couple of seasons back, but I couldn't really commit to one team. Usually I will watch a bunch of games and then follow teams who play entertaining hockey more closely and the last few seasons it's been the Sens. :handclap:

Glad to hear that you were following the Jets - hope you still are. There are many Swedish players in the NHL that play entertaining hockey. We currently have Toby Enstrom from Sweden playing for the Jets. Winnipeg and Sweden go back a long way to when we first witnessed the phenomenal exploits of Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson playing alongside Bobby Hull. Defenceman Lars-Erik Sjoberg was an excellent player as well and became the first European to be a team Captain in the WHA and then NHL when the Jets joined that league in 1979.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad