*OFFICIAL* Guelph Storm 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Didn't see one put up, so here it is!

Next year will be an interesting one for the Storm. It's been talked about as a "go for it" year, and while the core of the team is still very talented, there are indeed some holes. Defense and Goalie are needs that must be addressed.

Here is my prediction for the Storm Roster next season based on current roster (I do think changes will come)

FORWARDS:

Jason Dickinson - Hunter Garlent - Scott Kosmachuk
Brock McGinn - Robbie Fabbri - Zach Mitchell (OA)
Tyler Bertuzzi - Ryan Horvat (OA) - Justin Auger
Brody Milne - Marc Stevens - Adam Craievich

DEFENSE

Matt Finn - Zach Leslie
Ben Harpur - Kyle Locke
Garrett McFadden - Chadd Bauman

GOALIE:

Michael Nishi (OA)
Matt Mancina

Guelph holds two first round import picks, and without a current import, they should get two useful players. If I had to guess it would be used on a defenseman as well as goalie. Then Nishi could be traded/released and the new OA spot could go towards getting a defenseman in return.

Last edited:

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
Didn't see one put up, so here it is!

Next year will be an interesting one for the Storm. It's been talked about as a "go for it" year, and while the core of the team is still very talented, there are indeed some holes. Defense and Goalie are needs that must be addressed.

Here is my prediction for the Storm Roster next season based on current roster (I do think changes will come)

FORWARDS:

Jason Dickinson - Hunter Garlent - Scott Kosmachuk
Brock McGinn - Robbie Fabbri - Zach Mitchell (OA)
Tyler Bertuzzi - Ryan Horvat (OA) - Justin Auger
Brody Milne - Marc Stevens - Adam Craievich

DEFENSE

Matt Finn - Zach Leslie
Ben Harpur - Kyle Locke
Garrett McFadden - Chadd Bauman

GOALIE:

Michael Nishi (OA)
Matt Mancina

Guelph holds two first round import picks, and without a current import, they should get two useful players. If I had to guess it would be used on a defenseman as well as goalie. Then Nishi could be traded/released and the new OA spot could go towards getting a defenseman in return.

Top 6 is very nice. 3rd line good grit. Adding a key Dman to play with Finn (Hagg?) and a good goalie will be crucial.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Top 6 is very nice. 3rd line good grit. Adding a key Dman to play with Finn (Hagg?) and a good goalie will be crucial.

Actually Leslie and Finn showed some great chemistry when Finn actually did play. I think adding someone for the top four to play with Harpur would be beneficial. Someone who could help on the PP (I have faith in McFadden, but he is just a rookie)

An Import goalie that can take the reigns would be awesome. Free up an OA spot then releasing Nishi. Then maybe adding an OA D that can have an impact similar to the deal they made last season with Buekeboom.

I also like the idea of making Milne the 13th forward and moving Bauman up to forward (He played some wing last season) and it adds some size and physicality to the lineup.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Actually Leslie and Finn showed some great chemistry when Finn actually did play. I think adding someone for the top four to play with Harpur would be beneficial. Someone who could help on the PP (I have faith in McFadden, but he is just a rookie)

An Import goalie that can take the reigns would be awesome. Free up an OA spot then releasing Nishi. Then maybe adding an OA D that can have an impact similar to the deal they made last season with Buekeboom.

I also like the idea of making Milne the 13th forward and moving Bauman up to forward (He played some wing last season) and it adds some size and physicality to the lineup.

They cant draft an European goalie this year because of the new rule,other then Dansk from Erie and Serebrykov from Saggy dont see a euro goalie in Guelphs future

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
They cant draft an European goalie this year because of the new rule,other then Dansk from Erie and Serebrykov from Saggy dont see a euro goalie in Guelphs future
Euro goalies can be drafted in the first round this year and then next year they are banned from being drafted all together.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Dickinson goes 29th to Dallas, Bertuzzi goes 58th (?!?!??!?) to Detroit. What the hell could Detroit see in Bertuzzi to grab him in the second?

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Justin Auger #103, Ben Harpur #108, Zac Leslie #178.

Last edited:

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Dickinson goes 29th to Dallas, Bertuzzi goes 58th (?!?!??!?) to Detroit. What the hell could Detroit see in Bertuzzi to grab him in the second?

It just shows that the teams are looking for needs. I was scratching my head at that pick, not that he was selected per say, but the 2nd round.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
It just shows that the teams are looking for needs. I was scratching my head at that pick, not that he was selected per say, but the 2nd round.

I agree, thought he was a 5,6,7th round pick. I'm almost equally surprised that someone didn't select Hunter Garlent.

Either way, its a great showing for the Storm. Can't wait for the import draft tomorrow!

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
What is the sense from Storm fans for this upcoming season? Where do you think they will finish in the standings? Excitement surrounding this season?
(I personally think they will finish 3rd in the conference behing Saginaw and the Knights). I attend several games in Guelph when the Knights are in town...always good crowds and great games. I really think Guelph could be a serious contender for the ohl title with a couple trades.
The Bertuzzi pick in the 2nd round doesn't surprise me at all. Some of it may be the connection of the name, but I really think he is going to develop. It isn't what about what is there now....it is what he 'could' be...and I think he could be a solid 3rd to 2nd liner in the nhl.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What is the sense from Storm fans for this upcoming season? Where do you think they will finish in the standings? Excitement surrounding this season?
(I personally think they will finish 3rd in the conference behing Saginaw and the Knights). I attend several games in Guelph when the Knights are in town...always good crowds and great games. I really think Guelph could be a serious contender for the ohl title with a couple trades.
The Bertuzzi pick in the 2nd round doesn't surprise me at all. Some of it may be the connection of the name, but I really think he is going to develop. It isn't what about what is there now....it is what he 'could' be...and I think he could be a solid 3rd to 2nd liner in the nhl.

Dont disagree with what u said,maybe they will to get Murray from the Sault,as they are a goalie and a D-guy short of being true legitimates
Might have answered the D-spot in the Euro who knows

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT

I am getting the feeling that most Storm fans believe this will be the year to go for it. The depth at forward is VERY good, especially with the add of Suter (who is small but talented).

Everything I read says Baltisberger has a shot at being a first round pick in the upcoming draft. That will be an excellent add to the blue line, and should help compensate for the loss of Pedan.

But there is still a glaring hole, and that is in net. Current projected starter Michael Nishi has been on 5 teams across to separate CHL leagues. And while I believe Matthew Mancina will be a good goalie, expecting a rookie to be a #1 is not smart.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
I am getting the feeling that most Storm fans believe this will be the year to go for it. The depth at forward is VERY good, especially with the add of Suter (who is small but talented).

Everything I read says Baltisberger has a shot at being a first round pick in the upcoming draft. That will be an excellent add to the blue line, and should help compensate for the loss of Pedan.

But there is still a glaring hole, and that is in net. Current projected starter Michael Nishi has been on 5 teams across to separate CHL leagues. And while I believe Matthew Mancina will be a good goalie, expecting a rookie to be a #1 is not smart.

How many imports/over agers do you have? Any thoughts on acquiring Pavelka from Windsor if available? Other goalies on your wish list would be.....?

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
How many imports/over agers do you have? Any thoughts on acquiring Pavelka from Windsor if available? Other goalies on your wish list would be.....?

Current imports are the two just drafted today, both of which GM Mike Kelly has said will report. Our current OA's are G Michael Nishi, RW Zach Mitchell and C Ryan Horvat.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
Leafs signed Christopher Gibson today. Could be good news for Storm fans..

Bernier-Riemer with Leafs.
Macintyre-Gibson with Marlies.
Sparks back to Guelph!

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Leafs signed Christopher Gibson today. Could be good news for Storm fans..

Bernier-Riemer with Leafs.
Macintyre-Gibson with Marlies.
Sparks back to Guelph!

Still doubt it, Sparks likely starts games in the ECHL. Now if another goalie gets signed, then maybe my optimism will rise.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I can almost gaurintee that Sparks will be ahead of Gibson. The Leafs are big believers in him. Gibson would go to the ECHL before Sparks.

If the Leafs are big believers in him, would the ECHL not be a better option for him to start as many games as possible? I would think Drew MacIntyre would start for the Marlies and Gibson would ride the bench.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If the Leafs are big believers in him, would the ECHL not be a better option for him to start as many games as possible? I would think Drew MacIntyre would start for the Marlies and Gibson would ride the bench.

I agree with Sean,Sparks is highly regarded by Leafs,the fact he was drafted by them,had a cup of coffee with the Marlies,no doubt in my mind that he is ticketed for the Marlies,much to the chagrin of Guelph fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad