Official Goaltending thread 5.0:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
are the Leafs even an average team if they are not receiving incredible goaltending? or do you actually believe that the confidence that the team gets from Bernier manifests itself in marginally better efforts (allowing 5-10 fewer shots than last night) and better finishing on the part of the forwards?

to the bolded part.

a "average" team makes me think of teams in the 15th overall standings in the league.

seeing how we are only a few points ahead of those teams and many have games in hand, now read that line again and think to yourself "no berny" this season and I think we are hanging with the likes of Carolina.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just watched the highlights. Yes the Leafs played like ****, but how many shots just ****ing go right through Reimer. So many times a shot isnt even tipped but it just goes right through him then he has that wtf? look where he starts looking around wondering how it went in. Also half the goals last night the dude was laying on his belly like always. This guy is not a good goalie end of story. Bernier is miles ahead of him.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The statement of "Reimer needs more games/needs to be on a roll to be good." doesn't wash anymore. It can't . The role of the second goalie - regardless if it's a 1a/1b, starter/backup whatever - is to be able to come in and stand on your head. Especially this time of year. You need to be able to show that if something were to happen, down the final stretch, or into the playoffs, not only can you come in and play well - you can come in and play great.

the Kings fans told us one playoff run where Quick went down and Bernier singlehandely saved their season, then Quick came back - to the point where the fans were kind of wanting Bernier to continue. THAT'S what Reimer should be having us say. Reimer should come into each and every single situation thinking "if my team was down 1 point and this is game 82 - I have to shut the team out. the end." and if the situation were reversed I'd demand that of Bernier.

The team looked flat and crappy for the most part. But it didn't help that Reimer did not look good. This isn't taking anything away from what he did in the past. In this game - other than the third goal (which was goalie interference, but because the 2nd goal was waived off it counted).

Reimer was swimming in the net, he lost his stick twice. [again], he was having trouble tracking the puck again, and the thing that scares me is this frantic "wait, what? what?!!" look he shows when either A: the puck is scored, B: he stops the puck, or C: rebounds/directs it away. that's how he's looked since December. Does that scream "yeah, guys, you can count on me?"

The players after every game (win or lose) re: Bernier, talk about how he 'sucks up rebounds' or 'he's so calm, maybe too calm' etc. that's the SAME thing they need to say about James. And they don't.

the whole team played like poop last night, I'm not even going to excuse it really other than the Sharks toyed with us like a kitten with a catnip toy - but Reimer didn't make it easy for the team EITHER. [and if that's fair or not,guess what that's what goalies who think they are starters face - regardless of playing time. I'd say - and have said - the same thing about Bernier].

First goal - could have been stopped
Leafs respond
in quick succession, goals 2 (disallowed, which was BRUTAL) and 3 (should have been disallowed and wasn't), were let in.

And you can even equate it to the Philly game. Mason let in 2 goals on 4 shots - but then really really played great after that. Did Reimer do that to the extent that the Leafs had a chance to really come back? Not in my estimation, nope.

Again - it's not taking anything away from the guy. I like him, and I wish him all the success in the world, but he's not good enough to be what we need, and it scares the ever living poop out of me every time a shot is taken because I don't know what he's going to do the Leafs are a rollarcoaster ride in themselves - but the goaltender should be the end gate, and you can take a breath of relief. Reimer doesn't let you breathe more like gasp before the rollarcoaster takes off again.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The statement of "Reimer needs more games/needs to be on a roll to be good." doesn't wash anymore. It can't . The role of the second goalie - regardless if it's a 1a/1b, starter/backup whatever - is to be able to come in and stand on your head. Especially this time of year. You need to be able to show that if something were to happen, down the final stretch, or into the playoffs, not only can you come in and play well - you can come in and play great.

the Kings fans told us one playoff run where Quick went down and Bernier singlehandely saved their season, then Quick came back - to the point where the fans were kind of wanting Bernier to continue. THAT'S what Reimer should be having us say. Reimer should come into each and every single situation thinking "if my team was down 1 point and this is game 82 - I have to shut the team out. the end." and if the situation were reversed I'd demand that of Bernier.

The team looked flat and crappy for the most part. But it didn't help that Reimer did not look good. This isn't taking anything away from what he did in the past. In this game - other than the third goal (which was goalie interference, but because the 2nd goal was waived off it counted).

Reimer was swimming in the net, he lost his stick twice. [again], he was having trouble tracking the puck again, and the thing that scares me is this frantic "wait, what? what?!!" look he shows when either A: the puck is scored, B: he stops the puck, or C: rebounds/directs it away. that's how he's looked since December. Does that scream "yeah, guys, you can count on me?"

The players after every game (win or lose) re: Bernier, talk about how he 'sucks up rebounds' or 'he's so calm, maybe too calm' etc. that's the SAME thing they need to say about James. And they don't.

the whole team played like poop last night, I'm not even going to excuse it really other than the Sharks toyed with us like a kitten with a catnip toy - but Reimer didn't make it easy for the team EITHER. [and if that's fair or not,guess what that's what goalies who think they are starters face - regardless of playing time. I'd say - and have said - the same thing about Bernier].

Leafs respond
in quick succession, goals 2 (disallowed, which was BRUTAL) and 3 (should have been disallowed and wasn't), were let in.

And you can even equate it to the Philly game. Mason let in 2 goals on 4 shots - but then really really played great after that. Did Reimer do that to the extent that the Leafs had a chance to really come back? Not in my estimation, nope.

Again - it's not taking anything away from the guy. I like him, and I wish him all the success in the world, but he's not good enough to be what we need, and it scares the ever living poop out of me every time a shot is taken because I don't know what he's going to do the Leafs are a rollarcoaster ride in themselves - but the goaltender should be the end gate, and you can take a breath of relief. Reimer doesn't let you breathe more like gasp before the rollarcoaster takes off again.

I believe that just like in baseball, some starters can be converted into relievers, when their stuff is not good enough and some starters just don't have what it takes in the head or in the heart to handle that in a winning way.

I'm not convinced jr has the ability to adjust.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Bernier is #1, no question about it. For all the people who said he didn't have a large enough sample size you obviously never watched him play before the trade. What does LA have to show for the trade now?

Reimer is a back up in Toronto if he is willing to accept the role, if not DN will find him an opportunity some where else. He has lots of value so it wouldn't surprise me at all. Our division will be sick with goaltending with Bernier, Price, Rask and so on.

In DN I trust!

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I honestly don't see Reimer starting another game all season unless its a back to back.

I agree, it seems like he's lost his touch.

I almost thought I could see his leg shaking last night in net, he looked so nervous, over played everything, and did his routine stick drop. The guy is a mess when you're use to watching Bernier now.

I believe Reimer is just one of those goalies than need to be a starter to play consistently well, he's a great guy though, would love to see him get traded to somewhere he has a chance to be the #1.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
the next few games we'll probably see reimer

March 23: against the devils (we play Montreal the night before)

but this is where it's interesting

our last back to back is the Flyers (28th) and the Wings (29th). I honestly think it depends where we're sitting, right? and what the point spread is?

april, there's no back to backs.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

Leafs respond

I'm gonna reply to this/go on a rant so some things may not apply to your post :laugh:

It's been said by goaltenders who were career backups that it's a whole different game and mindset transitioning from a starter to a back-up. From a goalie whose been playing pretty much every game compared to a goalie whose been playing pretty much every three weeks.

Bernier was able to come in for Quick and do well in 2012 because he was already accustomed to being his back-up. Reimer hasn't been in a situation like that ever since he came into the NHL. Its either been even split time or he just eventually became the starter, so all this is new to him. Put on top of that is he has lost his confidence, it's already a recipe for disaster. Most Leaf fans already know that he's capable of being a good goaltender and one bad season doesn't make a career. I think if he gets that fresh start and gets that confidence back, he can absolutely have the capability to tear it up with another team. All these claims of "he's a bad goalie" is just simply ludicrous.

I also think that part of the reason why people are looking down on Reimer now and saying "Im not comfortable with him in net" is because now we're accustomed to how Bernier plays and unless he plays at that standard, he's not a good goaltender all of a sudden. I mean lets be real, he will never play the same style that Bernier does. I mean just last year we were all saying the complete opposite, like how we were comfortable with Reimer in net and that he was the next showing of Belfour all of a sudden. Then quickly those comments were thrown at Bernier this year. I mean yeah, I'll admit, I think we are a fickle bunch.

I almost want to compare Reimer to Tim Tebow except Reimer is a better goalie than Tebow was at QB.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
This very well may be the beginning of the end for Reimer (in Toronto), one of the worst performances I have ever seen from him. Belly flopping constantly and making every save a life and death struggle. Looked like he had been given a swift kick to the balls on some of the goals against, his confidence has eroded completely.

I really thought bringing in Bernier would make Reimer perform to a higher level and learn from the mistakes in Game 7, but the opposite has happened. I feel the answer lies deeper where Reimer must accept his limitations that he isn't a number 1 goalie, and that he can still provide value as a respectable backup.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Good points I Am the Stig. You don't just magically become a good back-up when you've been given starting duties for most of your NHL career.

Look at how bad Giguere was when Hiller took his job in Anaheim. Only once Giguere settled into the back-up role for Colorado a few years later he started to play better.

There was a time when Bernier had the chance to potentially snatch the job from Quick, but Quick outplayed him as well. It's just the way it goes sometimes :dunno: Either way I'm a fan of both of our goalies, but I know Bernier is the #1 no questions asked. Hope Reimer does well wherever he ends up, I won't **** all over him like everyone here loves to do these days.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I honestly don't see Reimer starting another game all season unless its a back to back.

I think Carlyle is to blame for this, for Oct, Nov and 1/2 of December both Bernier and Reimer were 1A and 1B starters, which kept both goalies sharp and neither burning out with being outshot most nights.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I think Carlyle is to blame for this, for Oct, Nov and 1/2 of December both Bernier and Reimer were 1A and 1B starters, which kept both goalies sharp and neither burning out with being outshot most nights.

Reimer had a few dreadful games in December that provided Bernier the opportunity to run with the starter's role for a few games. He hasn't looked back since.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm gonna reply to this/go on a rant so some things may not apply to your post :laugh:

It's been said by goaltenders who were career backups that it's a whole different game and mindset transitioning from a starter to a back-up. From a goalie whose been playing pretty much every game compared to a goalie whose been playing pretty much every three weeks.

Bernier was able to come in for Quick and do well in 2012 because he was already accustomed to being his back-up. Reimer hasn't been in a situation like that ever since he came into the NHL. Its either been even split time or he just eventually became the starter, so all this is new to him. Put on top of that is he has lost his confidence, it's already a recipe for disaster. Most Leaf fans already know that he's capable of being a good goaltender and one bad season doesn't make a career. I think if he gets that fresh start and gets that confidence back, he can absolutely have the capability to tear it up with another team. All these claims of "he's a bad goalie" is just simply ludicrous.

I also think that part of the reason why people are looking down on Reimer now and saying "Im not comfortable with him in net" is because now we're accustomed to how Bernier plays and unless he plays at that standard, he's not a good goaltender all of a sudden. I mean lets be real, he will never play the same style that Bernier does. I mean just last year we were all saying the complete opposite, like how we were comfortable with Reimer in net and that he was the next showing of Belfour all of a sudden. Then quickly those comments were thrown at Bernier this year. I mean yeah, I'll admit, I think we are a fickle bunch..

:laugh: thanks for the warning ;)

No - I totally agree with your point. I don't think I threw out a "he's a bad goalie" out there [and i'm not saying, you said I did]. and if I did it was probably during the heat of the game :laugh: I do tend to give the guys a lot of credit and I've been giving Reimer a lot of credit as well.

I think something that it's in the back of my head was the Florida game where he called out the team for the most part. Then he played Phoenix and he didn't look 'sharp'. then the Wings game happened and it's been the Bernier show. up until that point really - you could 'pretend' :laugh: the Reimer still had a chance.

but again - I have to think, this is where you have to fake it. Even if he's crying in his pillow to a Taylor Swift song, come out and fake it, simply due to the time of year it is. that's all.

Good points I Am the Stig. You don't just magically become a good back-up when you've been given starting duties for most of your NHL career.

Look at how bad Giguere was when Hiller took his job in Anaheim. Only once Giguere settled into the back-up role for Colorado a few years later he started to play better.

There was a time when Bernier had the chance to potentially snatch the job from Quick, but Quick outplayed him as well. It's just the way it goes sometimes :dunno: Either way I'm a fan of both of our goalies, but I know Bernier is the #1 no questions asked. Hope Reimer does well wherever he ends up, I won't **** all over him like everyone here loves to do these days.

:nod: he will, I'm sure he will.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Reimers body language says it all.

He constantly looks lost and confused and when he gets scored on he either frantically searches to see how it got through him, or he lays down like he got shot for 5-10 seconds.

Believe me... that type of negative body language rubs off on the team.

Bernier on the other hand is much more like a robot in net, which is exactly what you want.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Nonis hadn't acquired Bernier to upgrade our goaltending, one has to wonder where the Leafs would be in the standings right now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We have no way of telling with any degree of certainty whether JR would still play poorly if he was the undisputed #1 coming into the season. For all we know, if Bernier wouldn't be around JR could have had a similar season to last year.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
If Nonis hadn't acquired Bernier to upgrade our goaltending, one has to wonder where the Leafs would be in the standings right now.

no wondering about it, look at every game that berny has won for us while putting up like 40 saves, theres probably at least 10-15, without those 25 ish points we'd be nowhere

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

While I'm sure everyone will act like the Leafs would be a lottery team with no Bernier, I think we'd probably be closer to chasing the Wild Card rather than somewhat safely in a playoff spot like right now.

Reimer can be a decent goalie if he's playing often, and Scrivens was more than capable of handling back-up duties, so I'm sure they would've done alright, just not as good as Bernier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad