GDT: Official Free Agent Frenzy Thread - Part II - Ring those Phones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Bad news for Canuck fans if Lucic signs in Edmonton. Is Ladd or Helm going to be any better?

You just know Benning is going to spend all that cash like he's at a toy shop. Better to overpay for a legitimate top 6 power forward than Darren Helm, Vern Fiddler, and blah...wow...just totally underwhelming list.

And that fact is, Lucic will probably only be 1-2 million more than guys like Ladd, Brouwer and Helm...

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
LOL. The recruitment of Milan Lucic and other players is hilarious. NHL is becoming like NBA as teams fight to lure players in. Edmonton Oilers are so baller. They are giving tours of their new arena to anyone and pimping it big time. The video of Milan Lucic walking around Rogers Place with a hard hat on is priceless. And apparently in Vancouver, when Lucic visited, the Mayor stopped in to say hello? Next thing you know, they will rent a hotel room for Lucic and fill it with a bunch of girls.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I'd love to get Eriksson and Brouwer. I mean I'd rather us not sign anyone. But if we are, and you know they will, then those are the ones I want.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
It'd be a decidedly Canuck thing if at the end of free agency we end up with Alex Burrows getting bought out, Vern Fiddler getting brought in and Teddy Purcell signed to a $30M/5 years deal.

E: I mean, Purcell hits all the right checkmarks. He's got that NCAA/Northeastern US pedigree that Weisbrod loves so much, he's six two, so he's "BIG" and blahblahblah intangibles "can rip the puck real good."

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Bad news for Canuck fans if Lucic signs in Edmonton. Is Ladd or Helm going to be any better?

You just know Benning is going to spend all that cash like he's at a toy shop. Better to overpay for a legitimate top 6 power forward than Darren Helm, Vern Fiddler, and blah...wow...just totally underwhelming list.

And that fact is, Lucic will probably only be 1-2 million more than guys like Ladd, Brouwer and Helm...
Andrew Ladd is a better player than Milan Lucic. I would gladly take him on the team at 1-2 million less than what Lucic gets. Brouwer would be a decent pickup for the right price, and you're forgetting that Erikkson will be the next target if not Lucic. This is all to say that if we are getting free agents then I'd rather end up with the right ones.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013

With rumours of Milan Lucic giving one more big "F-U" to Vancouver by not only not signing with us, but going to our top rival Edmonton, I feel this tweet is even more relevant than it was before. This is *EXACTLY* how I picture Jim Benning right now. I bet he is phoning every single UFA and begging. How the times have changed.

To make things even worse, players around the league have heard the rumours of Jim Benning and he was just fined (makes the organization look very incompetent). On top of that, the way we treated Radim Vrbata has made its way around the league (his version of the events) and same goes for Dan Hamhuis. Also, I think players have heard that Ryan Miller is not exactly happy here either and maybe he wishes he hadn't signed here?

Things are unravelling quickly. I will be surprised if we can sign anyone other than 30 year old UFA's to very long term and overpaid contracts. Eriksson for $6 million a year over 6 years anyone??? This is bad news for us. At least Lucic was sort of young. Last thing we need is some 30 year old signed to a 6 year deal.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
If Lucic is smart (.... questionable) then he will totally ignore Vancouver and keep insisting Oilers/Anaheim are his top choices. He knows Vancouver is desperate and Jim Benning will pay anything for him. The longer he holds out, the more money he gets. I wouldn't be surprised to see $50 million dollars.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I just find it dumb that many of you are setting yourselves up to criticize no matter what happens.

We sign big name like Lucic or Eriksson: "Can't believe we gave long term contracts to guys in/past there prime, WHERE IS THE REBUILD???"

We sign lesser names like Fiddler, Helm, ect.: "Why bother signing these scrubs just taking up roster spots for Gaunce and Zalewski!!!!" or "Couldn't sign Lucic/Eriksson so we settle on these bums?!?!"

We sign no one of any significance: "WOW Dim Jim is so bad he couldn't even sign players I never wanted him to sign at all!!! Idiot/moron/stupid/other childish names!!!"

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
I just find it dumb that many of you are setting yourselves up to criticize no matter what happens.

We sign big name like Lucic or Eriksson: "Can't believe we gave long term contracts to guys in/past there prime, WHERE IS THE REBUILD???"

We sign lesser names like Fiddler, Helm, ect.: "Why bother signing these scrubs just taking up roster spots for Gaunce and Zalewski!!!!" or "Couldn't sign Lucic/Eriksson so we settle on these bums?!?!"

We sign no one of any significance: "WOW Dim Jim is so bad he couldn't even sign players I never wanted him to sign at all!!! Idiot/moron/stupid/other childish names!!!"

Actually signing no one of significance combined with trying to acquire draft pick would probably upset very few people here.
But it would also be proof that the Canucks have been sold and hired new management.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Yeah, this is my frustration as well. I'm fine with being anti-Lucic, but make sure you have a good, realistic plan to make the team better if you were the GM. Keeping in mind that if you suck again, you're probably losing your dream job.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Actually signing no one of significance combined with trying to acquire draft pick would probably upset very few people here.
But it would also be proof that the Canucks have been sold and hired new management.

And yet they'd find reasons to be critical anyways.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Not sure where the criticism for him calling everyone is coming from. I expect a management team to kick tires on almost all potential UFAs. Not sure Fiddler's who I'd want early on, but gauging interest from potential guys to sign is kind of a universal step one for UFA period. I'm sure most teams have checked in with the camps of about a dozen or more UFAs.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I would have no problem with the bolded. Focus on the rebuild, avoid expensive, older UFAs taking up roster spots for a team that isn't a cup threat either way.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

You know why people would be critical? Because Benning has made extremely clear that he's going to be active with virtually EVERY big name free agent out there...if he were to come away empty handed it wouldn't be because he had the good sense to avoid signing anyone, it would be because he's an incompetent boob.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Only 'cause Benning gives people so many different opportunities to be be critical.

Like do you think people dislike Benning cause of his haircut or something? If he did good things, people would like him. He hasn't, ergo people (some) are critical.

It's not all that complicated mate.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, this is my frustration as well. I'm fine with being anti-Lucic, but make sure you have a good, realistic plan to make the team better if you were the GM. Keeping in mind that if you suck again, you're probably losing your dream job.

That's the challenge for Benning because he needs to make this team competitive regardless of the 'rebuild status'.

You have an owner who obviously wants to compete. He showed up to eat with Lucic, so obviously he doesn't want a 4-5 year rebuild.

But at the same time, half the fan base wants a proper rebuild.

Lucic is likely his first choice followed by Brouwer and Ladd.

The secondary guy is likely Vanek, Fiddler or Helm.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Um, there's nothing inconsistent in this position at all.

I feel that signing huge, long-term deals is foolish given where the team is at right now. I feel that signing expensive, old 4th liners is foolish given the fact we have guys who look like they're ready to step in for cheap.

If Benning decides to do those things, I'm going to say it's bad management. If he succeeds, the reason is obvious. If he fails ... well, he was trying to do the wrong thing and couldn't even accomplish it, so that's not exactly a good thing.

If Benning signs some smart, shorter-term deals and passes on long-term deals because prices are too high, I'll compliment him for it.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
You know why people would be critical? Because Benning has made extremely clear that he's going to be active with virtually EVERY big name free agent out there...if he were to come away empty handed it wouldn't be because he had the good sense to avoid signing anyone, it would be because he's an incompetent boob.

The only thing we know for sure is that he was gonna call Stamkos, really. :laugh:

Honestly, I don't blame him for being interested in Lucic or anyone else. There is always the potential for a hometown kid wanting to take a discount to play here. You HAVE to inquire if you are Jim, you are not doing your job if you're not. Same goes with any big name out there. It is ludicrous to me that we would criticize a NHL GM for contacting an NHL free agent to simply say "Hey, what are you thinking?". That is LITERALLY his job.

Doesn't mean I want him to sign all or any of them, or that he is serious about signing all or any of them. So far the actual reports from actual sources are the Oilers are the top runner, Vancouver among others are interested. That's it. Until Bob McKenzie or other reports the Canucks were writing Lucic a blank check and key to the city, it's just dumb whining.

So are you saying every GM that calls an FA and doesn't sign him is an idiot? Or does that moronic logic only apply to our GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad