Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Pens fan here. Should the Cats not be able to re-sign Dadonov or Hoffman, would there be interest in Patric Hornqvist (RW)? He brings a different element to your forward group, but is older and has a $5.3m cap hit.

Thanks in advance!

[edit: thanks for moving the post, I somehow missed this thread]

Nah. He isnt as horny as he used to be. Gonna need a rocking chair soon enough. Great pest power forward type guy but his best years are way behind him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'd consider it, if Connolly went the other way and Pens retained (say 800k), but even then as others already pointed out risky with Hornqvist's age and mileage.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'd consider it, if Connolly went the other way and Pens retained (say 800k), but even then as others already pointed out risky with Hornqvist's age and mileage.

Yeah, Connolly is not even 30. He's fine as a middle 6 winger for us for now although he is slightly overpaid. Hopefully next season he's more consistent.

Hmmm, the Pens could perhaps retain $1.8m to keep the cap hits of the players the same. The Panthers could hang on to Hornqvist until injuries hit another team or a team wants Hornqvist for the playoffs.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hmmm, the Pens could perhaps retain $1.8m to keep the cap hits of the players the same. The Panthers could hang on to Hornqvist until injuries hit another team or a team wants Hornqvist for the playoffs.

I really don't see the Panthers going after Hornqyvist , but anything is possible. I think they'll just hope Connolly can improve on his 1st half scoring explosion.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
STL wants to sign Petro(vich) so maybe they would be willing to trade Perron, let's say for 2021 1st round pick (plus also something for their something). Perron is signed for the next two years at $4mil per. That'll give the Cats two years to see where Denisenko (and perhaps Tippett) without jeopardizing too much in the top6.

Huberdeau - Barkov - Tippett
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Perron
Vatrano - Saarela - Connolly
Acciari - Wallmark - Sceviour
Hunt

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
STL wants to sign Petro(vich) so maybe they would be willing to trade Perron, let's say for 2021 1st round pick (plus also something for their something). Perron is signed for the next two years at $4mil per. That'll give the Cats two years to see where Denisenko (and perhaps Tippett) without jeopardizing too much in the top6.

Hunt

If Borgstrom is our second line center next year prepare for another playoff miss. He showed nothing at the NHL level and is probably a bust.

Reactions: TimHortons

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Hunt

I dont think Denny will want to wait 2 years and doubt he would be signed to burn 2 years in the AHL. He's played pro against men so id say a year at the most, less if he is producing down there, if there is a season?

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If Borgstrom is our second line center next year prepare for another playoff miss. He showed nothing at the NHL level and is probably a bust.

If the mgmt thinks that he's a bust then they probably would've dealt him a long time ago, like for McDoughnut when was available in the Rags. There's ofc some risk involved but that's is the consequence of paying top dollars for defense *cough* Yandle *cough* and thus not having enough for the forward corp(se).

I dont think Denny will want to wait 2 years and doubt he would be signed to burn 2 years in the AHL. He's played pro against men so id say a year at the most, less if he is producing down there, if there is a season?

If Deni is set play right from the get-go in the show then the mgmt probably thinks that he's the next Kucherov or sumptin' i.e. able to score 40-60pts.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If the mgmt thinks that he's a bust then they probably would've dealt him a long time ago, like for McDoughnut when was available in the Rags. There's ofc some risk involved but that's is the consequence of paying top dollars for defense *cough* Yandle *cough* and thus not having enough for the forward corp(se).

If Deni is set play right from the get-go in the show then the mgmt probably thinks that he's the next Kucherov or sumptin' i.e. able to score 40-60pts.

Don't know about touching 60 but depends on who he is paired with and how well he does.
I'd say give him some slack on the leash in the middle 6 and some PP time on 2nd unit? Id be happy if he hits 35pts in 55 to 65 games? More is gravy though.

He may he scratched here and there but at least he's around the team getting to know the guys and learning Qs system. Hopefully Q realizes he needs to play some of the rookies more to get them experience, he has a tendency to go vets a lot of the time.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Don't know about touching 60 but depends on who he is paired with and how well he does.
I'd say give him some slack on the leash in the middle 6 and some PP time on 2nd unit? Id be happy if he hits 35pts in 55 to 65 games? More is gravy though.

He may he scratched here and there but at least he's around the team getting to know the guys and learning Qs system. Hopefully Q realizes he needs to play some of the rookies more to get them experience, he has a tendency to go vets a lot of the time.

Yup, it's pretty much given that he'll jump into Q's lineup limbo as a rookie, which I presume means that he'll get a decent amount of sheltered minutes. I just think that the forward corps needs veteran scoring prowess, maybe they'll send Saarela somewhere along with Yandle and the Cats sign Granlund via FA. However, I don't think that it's a gigantic gamble by going into the 20-21 campaign with Barkov, Borg, Saarela and Wallmark in the middle.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Yup, it's pretty much given that he'll jump into Q's lineup limbo as a rookie, which I presume means that he'll get a decent amount of sheltered minutes. I just think that the forward corps needs veteran scoring prowess, maybe they'll send Saarela somewhere along with Yandle and the Cats sign Granlund via FA. However, I don't think that it's a gigantic gamble by going into the 20-21 campaign with Barkov, Borg, Saarela and Wallmark in the middle.
I'd much rather have a stop-gap at 2C whether it's Granlund, Haula or another cheaper vet who can fill in while we see what we have in Borg/Saraala/Wallmark

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yup, it's pretty much given that he'll jump into Q's lineup limbo as a rookie, which I presume means that he'll get a decent amount of sheltered minutes. I just think that the forward corps needs veteran scoring prowess, maybe they'll send Saarela somewhere along with Yandle and the Cats sign Granlund via FA. However, I don't think that it's a gigantic gamble by going into the 20-21 campaign with Barkov, Borg, Saarela and Wallmark in the middle.

What's your thoughts on that Lucic for Matheson deal/proposal? To bring in a guy that will punch holes in peoples face for touching Tippett and Densienko?

So it seems you like Acciari on the wing if that's the C depth? I think Saarela may have the advantage as 2C because he has more AHL experience but Borg does have the slight edge in NHL experience but didn't overly impress.
Wish we knew more about the Borg situation, has the feeling of him taking a stage left exit, hopefully not as I still believe he can be salvaged at wing if it doesnt work out at C.

Maybe inquire about Strome in NYR? Depending on his arbitration/salary demands?

I'd much rather have a stop-gap at 2C whether it's Granlund, Haula or another cheaper vet who can fill in while we see what we have in Borg/Saraala/Wallmark

One thing I do like about Saarela is he is versatile and played both wing and C in Springfield. Both in bottom and top 6.
Also he seemed to catch some attention about being the last player on the ice during the camp before play-ins, working on his shot and doing some drills, think thats Barkov rubbing off on him. Shows he is willing to put the work in but I agree, would be okay if we somehow acquire a vet on an expiring deal like Haula this year.

Reactions: 16Skippy

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i wish someone could break down why he is a bust and not our crappy system in the minors where we play crappy players on top lines and people like heponiemi on the 4th.. Like honestly we suck at developing anyone not a slam dunk.. And even there we f that up..

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
What's your thoughts on that Lucic for Matheson deal/proposal? To bring in a guy that will punch holes in peoples face for touching Tippett and Densienko?

So it seems you like Acciari on the wing if that's the C depth? I think Saarela may have the advantage as 2C because he has more AHL experience but Borg does have the edge in NHL experience.
Wish we knew more about the Borg situation, has the feeling of him taking a stage left exit, hopefully not as I still believe he can be salvaged at wing if it doesnt work out at C.

If the situation in Springfield was according to Joyce's interview that Kinnear put him on the toughest assignment i.e. playing against top lines, more d-zone starts, etc. so they do have some sort of a plan for Borg in place and the mgmt acknowledges that his point totals ain't gonna improve but maybe his fancy stats have. Even tho a lot of the folks here are waiting for the details of the upcoming Borg-trade to be announced, it just goes against the narrative that the mgmt has built up by marketing Borg as an important piece of the future and assigning tasks for him that won't improve his trade value as the next Datsyuk waiting for his turn in the AHL.

imo the scouting staff and the mgmt is placing a huge premium on scoring and puckhandling ability, and that'll mean that they are willing to see through the extremely long road with these projects, like Borg and Hepo.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

So it seems you like Acciari on the wing if that's the C depth? I think Saarela may have the advantage as 2C because he has more AHL experience but Borg does have the slight edge in NHL experience but didn't overly impress.

One thing I do like about Saarela is he is versatile and played both wing and C in Springfield. Both in bottom and top 6.
Also he seemed to catch some attention about being the last player on the ice during the camp before play-ins, working on his shot and doing some drills, think thats Barkov rubbing off on him. Shows he is willing to put the work in but I agree, would be okay if we somehow acquire a vet on an expiring deal like Haula this year.
I prefer Acciari on the rw too

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
FLA gets Brodin (handshake deal in place) + C/D prospect from NYR, need help with who we would target prospect wise

MIN gets Strome (NYR) + CAR 1st that NYR owns, think its 18th or 19th, they go Staal and Strome until 9th overall (C) is ready

NYR gets 12th - they draft a LD

:dunno:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Minnesota wants an obscene amount for Brodin. #12 wont be enough. Besides, the team is trying to reduce dependence on older players. They aren’t trading their 1st right now. They don’t see themselves as a contender anymore.

How much better are they gonna get than 12th as the core piece though?
What top 6 C's would be available and be worth around that in trade value?

I dont disagree management will likely cut some money and go youth up front but if we dont compete/contend now, does Huberdeau want to stick around?
Just seems weird for them to spend all that money last year to turn around and give up so quickly?

Just feel with Ekblad, Brodin and Weegar, you have 3 good to great defensive D and then slowly sprinkle in guys like Gildon, Priskie, Ludvig etc the next couple years.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
How much better are they gonna get than 12th as the core piece though?
What top 6 C's would be available and be worth around that in trade value?

I dont disagree management will likely cut some money and go youth up front but if we dont compete/contend now, does Huberdeau want to stick around?
Just seems weird for them to spend all that money last year to turn around and give up so quickly?

Just feel with Ekblad, Brodin and Weegar, you have 3 good to great defensive D and then slowly sprinkle in guys like Gildon, Priskie, Ludvig etc the next couple years.
It's likely Minnesota will try to offload some of their terrible contracts so they can keep Brodin around. He's arguably their best defenseman and will probably accept a friendlier contract than Suter/Dumba/Spurgeon. They have created a bit of a nightmare for themselves though, with guys like Suter and Parise sitting on NMC on big contracts until they are 40, so they will have to make some sacrifices but it's hard to see Brodin being one of them.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's likely Minnesota will try to offload some of their terrible contracts so they can keep Brodin around. He's arguably their best defenseman and will probably accept a friendlier contract than Suter/Dumba/Spurgeon. They have created a bit of a nightmare for themselves though, with guys like Suter and Parise sitting on NMC on big contracts until they are 40, so they will have to make some sacrifices but it's hard to see Brodin being one of them.

Main issue is they have to protect Suter and Spurgeon and then one spot is open for Dumba or Brodin if they go 7-3-1. I think a slight majority of MIN fans would move Dumba between the two as their RD depth is better.

Just proposing some ideas and feel Brodin would help take some major defensive burden off Ekblad if paired together or if he runs his own pairing

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

Hunt

Another year of the same old shit.. would be fun again... rinze and repeat

and I wouldnt want to trade a top 3 picks for Perron

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Another year of the same old shit.. would be fun again... rinze and repeat

and I wouldnt want to trade a top 3 picks for Perron

If there's no improvement if one pours money into the pot then why do it? The Panthers are in the very same place where Dale picked them up and promised to get rid off the culture of e.g. awarding retirement fund contracts by awarding retirement fund contracts.

You won't get a 60pts accruing winger for a 2nd round pick... unless the GM in question is Dale then you get two top6 wingers for a 3rd round pick.

You just have to think like Dale never was here, the Cats haven't won a single playoff series during his 10 year tenure and it wasn't even close. Try to enjoy from the fact that there's a handful of decent prospects in the cupboard like you've found a $100 bill from an old jacket pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad