Official Don Cherry Division Finals Results: New Jersey Devils vs Boston Bruins

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: Bobby Orr has this way of dominating game ones, one can never truly expect what he will bring to the game. Even with Eddie Shore assigned to him, one can only try to contain him. Shore plays him physical, but, Orr just takes it and keeps on going, getting right back up from checks and intercepting passes, throwing off an expected transition. The Devils' offense can't pierce the Bruins stellar defense either. Quick transitional play and dominating play from Orr keep this in Boston's favour. Orr scores once, while setting up Schmidt and Jackson. Hextall adds one for New Jersey.

Boston wins 3-1

Game 2: The Boston defense continues to demand attention, strong passing from New Jersey means they have much more control of the play, but, getting set up in the offensive zone proves a major challenge. Nedomansky is able to open scoring though. It doesn't last long as Dumart ties it up. A Seibert point shot is blocked by Richard, but Orr picks up the puck and sets up Modano for the go ahead goal. Continued pressure by New Jersey leads to Olmstead tying it up. Durnan and Broduer hold the fort after that. In overtime, Orr scores the game winner.

Boston wins 3-2 in overtime.

Game 3: As the series moves to Boston, something seems to happen on the way there. Broduer wakes up. He wasn't playing bad, but, now, he's a wall. He will not let anyone, not even Orr score on him. And as New Jersey's offense continues to learn Boston's defense, this makes a difference. Sakic pots the early go ahead goal, and Shore pinching from the point gives New Jersey insurance.

New Jersey wins 2-0

Game 4: Eddie Shore steps up big time and shows that he is close to Orr. He keeps up the strong physical play against Orr, wearing him out. But, starts to be able to use his own skating and speed to tank his way up and down the ice, causing real trouble for the Boston defence. Shore sets up an early Sakic goal. Orr is able to answer by setting up Bathgate. Shore answers by setting up Tonelli. Orr sets up Nolan. Shore sets up Richard. Orr sets up Lewis. Shore sets up Luce. Orr sets up...Stopped by Broduer! Sakic adds the insurance marker.

New Jersey wins 5-3

Game 5: Shore and Sakic hook up for a go ahead goal early. Richard and Nedomansky gives New Jersey a two nothing lead. But Orr isn't going to allow Boston to lose just yet. He does an end to end rush to get Boston back in it before setting up Bauer for the tying goal. No scoring in the second, great physical defense and goaltending instead. Thronton sets up Jackson for the tying goal. Flash Hollett gives Boston the lead. Kasatonov thinks he scored, but, the goal is waived off. Schmidt gives Boston the insurance marker.

Boston wins 4-2

Game 6: Tough and tight goaltending duel in Boston as Durnan and Broduer are comfortable and robbing people left right and center. Occasionally defense too. Neither team can score in regulation. Neely gets the overtime winner off a deflection.

New Jersey wins 1-0 in overtime.

Game 7: Orr and Shore are once again the stars of the show, but, with so much riding on this game, they are both defensive workhorses. Laying massive body checks, blocking shots and intercepting passes. Any offense created by one is countered by defense from the other. Midway through the second, Shore crushes Thornton and sets up Tonelli who takes the zone, tries to pass to Sakic, but Orr intercepts. Orr starts to head up the ice when he's leveled by a vicious open ice hit by Black Jack. Shore takes the puck and passes up to Sakic, who, with Orr out of the way, scores. Orr then goes into full offensive mode. Creating chances left right and centre. But. Shore is up to the task, taking away every chance Orr creates, and the odd one that gets through, is handled by Broduer. Boston just can't find that last goal no matter how much they control every second of ice time.

New Jersey wins 1-0

Three Stars:
3rd: Eddie Shore
2nd: Joe Sakic
1st: Bobby Orr

The New Jersey Devils defeat the Boston Bruins four games to three.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
As expected, a great series between New Jersey and Boston. An excellent first appearance by Evil Speaker, whose Bruins took the veteran BM's Devils to the limit. A 2-0 series lead, a 3-2 series lead, and a chance to win in Game 6 in overtime.

New Jersey will have a very tough series next against Calgary.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Good work BM. You had the better all-around team and deserved to win in 7 games. I knew I wouldnt be able to persuade my way to victory, so I didn't take the time to write an analysis (besides You, GBC, HO took care of that part).
Good luck in the conference finals.

I hope to see the rest of you in the next draft. Excuse me while I :golfnana:

P.S. - pitseleh and I both lost in 7 games. does that mean we are co-rookies of the year? :)

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Good work BM. You had the better all-around team and deserved to win in 7 games. I knew I wouldnt be able to persuade my way to victory, so I didn't take the time to write an analysis (besides You, GBC, HO took care of that part).
Good luck in the conference finals.

I hope to see the rest of you in the next draft. Excuse me while I :golfnana:

P.S. - pitseleh and I both lost in 7 games. does that mean we are co-rookies of the year? :)
I wasn't so sure I'd win. I thought Orr might just swing it your way. I think your not commenting helped me in the end.

Next time do add some thoughts, the debates are some of the best things in some of these drafts. Digging through books for 101 ways Charlie Conacher is better than Pavel Bure. Ah, the memories.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I wasn't so sure I'd win. I thought Orr might just swing it your way. I think your not commenting helped me in the end.

Next time do add some thoughts, the debates are some of the best things in some of these drafts. Digging through books for 101 ways Charlie Conacher is better than Pavel Bure. Ah, the memories.
OK, BM, my interest is piqued. I need to see the list of 101 ways that the Big Bomber is better than Bure (which he is).

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Well I never made a list. :)

X2 Draft

I did have quite a long arguement with monkee_00 about the subject, and how oldtime players sucked in general though. The debate with Evil Sather was a few pages back from here.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
I still maintain my X2 team was better than yours :)
Since 15 of the guys I took in X2 were drafted in the top 100 of this draft, and only 7 of your guys, I'd bet that most of the GMs in this draft would disagree. ;)

BM67 - New Jersey Devils
2 - Bobby Orr, D - 1
25 - Stan Mikita, C - 22
28 - Dominik Hasek, G - 21
51 - Ted Lindsay, LW - 23
54 - Charlie Conacher, RW - 52
77 - Dit Clapper, D/RW - 55
78 - Tim Horton, D - 49
80 - Dickie Moore, LW - 53
85 - Newsy Lalonde, C - 75
88 - Syl Apps Sr., C - 58
103 - Mark Howe, D/LW - 96