*OFFICIAL* Charlottetown Islanders 2013-2014 Thread

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
images

The roster should be like this (obviously, not exactly, but somewhat it should look like this):

Robert Pelletier (19) - Alexandre Goulet (17) - Daniel Sprong (16)
Julien Avon (18) - Kameron Kielly (17) - Bradley Kennedy (17)
Nathan Yetman (17) - Craig MacLaughlan (19, A) - Josh Shatford (17)
Liam Alcalde (18) - Zach Beaton (18) - Mike DiPaolo (19)

Extra: Curtis Scale (16), Malik Johnson (18)
Injured: Spenser Cobbold (19, A)

Guillaume Rioux-Legault (18) - Anthony Cortese (19)
David Henley (16) - Troy Vance (20, A)
Kevin Laliberté (17)- Luc Deschênes (16)

Extra: Vladislav Lysenko (18, Euro)

Mason McDonald (17) / Éric Brassard (18)

Schedule:
http://www.peirocket.com/schedule/list/team/59

Tickets:
http://www.peirocket.com/tickets

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/IslandersHKY

Roster:
http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/list/team/59/season/last

Last edited:

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I noticed Travis Howe is invited to camp. Any word on him reporting? He's was invited to Moncton's camp last year but was a no show. He's the younger brother of former Moncton heavyweight Tyler Howe and I heard he was even nastier. He isn't a small boy either. Could be a real treat to watch if he shows up. Having Dwyer as head coach might make coming to the Q a little more attractive. Hopefully he shows. Can't wait for Howe vs. Haas round 1 :naughty:

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
I noticed Travis Howe is invited to camp. Any word on him reporting? He's was invited to Moncton's camp last year but was a no show. He's the younger brother of former Moncton heavyweight Tyler Howe and I heard he was even nastier. He isn't a small boy either. Could be a real treat to watch if he shows up. Having Dwyer as head coach might make coming to the Q a little more attractive. Hopefully he shows. Can't wait for Howe vs. Haas round 1 :naughty:

I don't think it's official, but at least he is on their roster on the website. Dwyer loves toughness (Jack Nevins is invited as 20 years old player. I don't think that he will play with the Islanders, but it still means something imo.) and I'm pretty sure they will have a spot for him. Even more since he is a d-man (right?) and Charlottetown isn't very deep.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I don't think it's official, but at least he is on their roster on the website. Dwyer loves toughness (Jack Nevins is invited as 20 years old player. I don't think that he will play with the Islanders, but it still means something imo.) and I'm pretty sure they will have a spot for him. Even more since he is a d-man (right?) and Charlottetown isn't very deep.

He couldn't ask for a better shot. After recent trades , it appears the Islanders are taking a step back and they're thin on defence. Most importantly ,like you mentioned, they also have former enforcer Gordie Dwyer as head coach and he tends to keep a couple of willing combatants in the past couple of seasons.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
The Isles will be fun to watch though, Pepin and Sprong will light it up, next year should be their year.

I think they're building for 2014-2015 because Brassard will be 19 years old, maybe Bibeau will be back as an OA. On defence, Graves will be 19, there will be a rookie euro, maybe Cortese as 20 years old. Laliberté will be more mature.

Laplante will be 19, Pépin in his third season, Sprong/Sedlar/Goulet won't be rookies. With two 2014 first round picks and maybe two solid trades, Charlottetown may be challenging for the title in the maritimes division during that season. But this season, I think they will be around 12-14.

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
Not expecting much, but am already happy about this team. So glad the Rocket moniker is gone. Now if only they'd add some colour to that new logo....

So wish I was back at the CCC. We're not going to set the Q on fire, but it should be good hockey.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Josh Currie ‏@joshcurrie19 14 h
Feels weird not heading out to Pownal for training camp #GettingOld

Who's the next captain ? Laplante and Provencher are likely the two best candidates imo.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Victor Provencher to Chicoutimi vs 2nd (2014) and a conditionnal 3rd (2015). Well... Jack Nevins will likely play as an overager (with Troy Vance and Matej Beran).

Edit: Charlottetown also traded goalie prospect Charles-Olivier Lajoie to Victoriaville (2015 5th round pick).

Last edited:

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Victor Provencher to Chicoutimi vs 2nd (2014) and a conditionnal 3rd (2015). Well... Jack Nevins will likely play as an overager (with Troy Vance and Matej Beran).

Edit: Charlottetown also traded goalie prospect Charles-Olivier Lajoie to Victoriaville (2015 5th round pick).

I like what Charlottetown is doing. Don't waste an average year , either go for it or sell. All those picks will be very nice to have next year. They've taken a big step back but it's going to certainly be worth it. If they want a good tough guy Nevins was the way to go cause , after watching the game tonight, Howe is pretty useless.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
I like what Charlottetown is doing. Don't waste an average year , either go for it or sell. All those picks will be very nice to have next year. They've taken a big step back but it's going to certainly be worth it. If they want a good tough guy Nevins was the way to go cause , after watching the game tonight, Howe is pretty useless.

I agree 100%. And other than Howe, do you have some comments about Charlottetown players ?

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I agree 100%. And other than Howe, do you have some comments about Charlottetown players ?

Logan Cooke didn't look as bad in person as he does on paper. The defence were pretty disorganized. He made a couple of keys saves early on and has good reflexes. Very fast moving. He really needs to work on rebounds though and the Wildcats were shooting high blocker side which came across suspect. I find it really hard to gauge goaltenders , especially in high scoring pre-season games. And that's based solely on tonight's game.

Duncan McKie is very solid. Physical , stay at home defenceman that plays a simple but effective game. He blocked a lot of shots and threw a lot of hits. His skating is decent and hockey sense is good. Cleared the front of the net well and doesn't shy away from anyone. IMO , he definitely is a lock.

Daniel Sprong had a good game. Uses his speed well to skate around the outside. He's a perimeter player with good vision. He made several nice passes and picked up an assist on Allard's goal. He needs to be better without the puck and help out more defensively. I also think it'll take him a half dozen regular season games to adjust to the speed. He's making a bit of a jump in leagues. Overall he was solid and will be an elite playmaker in this league. You guys were lucky to get him as late as you did.

Marco Sedlar looked okay. I didn't notice him a lot early but he came around as the game went on. Strong skater but looked lost at times. There's always going to be that adjustment period. He didn't do well in the faceoff circle. He has good vision and was passing the puck off a lot. I'm not sure what to think and am certainly going to keep on eye on him.

Malik Johnson was a beast tonight. One of the best players for the Islanders tonight. Looked very sturdy and was strong on the puck. Moncton defenders had a hard time containing him. Drove to the net and got in close and dangerous. Generated quite a few good scoring chances and potted a couple on the scoreboard. He was also reliable defensive and made smart decisions with and without the puck. If I had to pick a team tomorrow for Charlottetown , he'd be on it.

Another player I did take notice of and liked was Bradley Kennedy. Smooth skater and very smart. Had a few good scoring chances but couldn't buy a goal to save his life. He was solid defensively as well , usually the first on his line to jump back and help the D. Looks like he could balk up and could be more engaged at times. Looks like he's going to be a solid player in this league.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Duncan McKie is very solid. Physical , stay at home defenceman that plays a simple but effective game. He blocked a lot of shots and threw a lot of hits. His skating is decent and hockey sense is good. Cleared the front of the net well and doesn't shy away from anyone. IMO , he definitely is a lock.

Another player I did take notice of and liked was Bradley Kennedy. Smooth skater and very smart. Had a few good scoring chances but couldn't buy a goal to save his life. He was solid defensively as well , usually the first on his line to jump back and help the D. Looks like he could balk up and could be more engaged at times. Looks like he's going to be a solid player in this league.

Glad to see these NS Midget prospects looking good at camp. McKie has impressed me the last 2 years ive watched him and Kennedy seems to have found his stride last year and hopefully can continue to improve.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad