*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Here's a look at what Colts have coming back next season.
Coach: Dale Hawerchuk's 3-year deal is up and he needs to be resigned. This must be the first priority. Give him another 3-year deal and a big raise.

Goaltending: While the Colts could add a veteran goalie over summer, I won't be surprised to see them give Alex Fotinos a shot to prove himself early in season. If he struggles, they could go out and get a vet. I expect Alex will be just fine. Once he gets back-to-back starts he'll be just fine. I think they have a star netminder here. MacKenzie Blackwood will be the backup. He has tons of talent and should be a solid, young backup.

DEFENCE: Colts are loaded here for next season. If Lepkowski doesn't sign with Sabres, they will have him, Ekblad, Laser, Yuill, Dotchin, Webster and Garcia returning. I could see the Colts moving Lepkowski to get some scoring up front and make room for rookie prospect Rocky Kaura, who was selected in the 4th Rd this year and the team is high on. Ekbald, Laser, Dotchin and Yuill should be your top four. Talented and deep group here. Will be strength of team.

FORWARDS: Hall will be drafted but there's a decent chance he returns to get stronger. Clock is running out on Islanders signing Theoret. If he doesn't sign, he'll be back. Athanasiou will likely have a monster year. That means the Colts should have a pretty potent top line with Hall, Theoret and Athanasiou. Their second line will be pretty good as well with Bradford in between Lemieux and MacDonald. If Colts move Lepkowski and don't acquire another overager, I'd love to see Brown get consideration for that third OA spot. He's a much better player than Fawcett. Team him up with Scott and Cash Seraphim and that's the makings of a pretty decent third line as well. I think Corson and Fawcett should be moved. Your fourth line could include Cordell James, Matthew MacLeod and this year's top pick Matthew Kreis. If Colts talk Kevin LeBlanc into coming he will be a top six forward. A real home run would be convincing Dallas Stars prospect Devin Shore to leave university and join Colts. He is a legit top line centre. Colts get these two and they are favourites in Eastern Conference.
This, of course does not include the two Europeans the club can draft. Not sure if Howie will fork over the cash to get legit big talents in import draft. At least getting one big scoring winger would be a key.

Well, the regular season one lasted until the last tenth of the season this year, but I guess it's time to start up the off season thread. Pony's post above is as good a way to start as any.

DEVSTER*

Or how about pre season transactions? The colts will probably save most trades for the deadline come January, but really anything can happen. Since Barrie has 2 import slots remaining, could they swing for Zharkov from Belleville? Hearing the Bulls may have a rebuilding team for the upcoming season.

Harky121*

Or how about pre season transactions? The colts will probably save most trades for the deadline come January, but really anything can happen. Since Barrie has 2 import slots remaining, could they swing for Zharkov from Belleville? Hearing the Bulls may have a rebuilding team for the upcoming season.

No I think the colts are going to keep their imports devster I think they will be better off keeping their imports because that could be a player as good as yakupov, zadorov or another neiderberger

DEVSTER*

No I think the colts are going to keep their imports devster I think they will be better off keeping their imports because that could be a player as good as yakupov, zadorov or another neiderberger

Okay, I think it's now already obvious to everyone that we know each other. Not sure if you realize, but Barrie was one of the top teams in Canada during the 2012/13 season. Top 15 I'm sure. Since we were so high up in the CHL standings, our first round import selection will be lower. Don't get me wrong, it is possible that we do get a player of Niederberger's caliber. I'm sure you'd recall the 36th overall import Goldobin from Sarnia, who registered 68 points in his rookie season last year. I believe that Barrie has the 49th selection in this year's import draft? Not as high quality as a 1st overall in Yakupov or a 9th overall in Zadorov.

Harky121*

Okay, I think it's now already obvious to everyone that we know each other. Not sure if you realize, but Barrie was one of the top teams in Canada during the 2012/13 season. Top 15 I'm sure. Since we were so high up in the CHL standings, our first round import selection will be lower. Don't get me wrong, it is possible that we do get a player of Niederberger's caliber. I'm sure you'd recall the 36th overall import Goldobin from Sarnia, who registered 68 points in his rookie season last year. I believe that Barrie has the 49th selection in this year's import draft? Not as high quality as a 1st overall in Yakupov or a 9th overall in Zadorov.

Devster i have been season ticket holders for the colts for 4 years i know they were one of the top teams in canada this year because i watched every single game during the season and playoffs and their skill level and ability to score was higher than any team they played. I really thought they would be ohl champions this year because they had the team to do it with the players they had with top prospects like mark scheifele, Anthony camara, Andreas athanasiou and many others but branch got in the way and ruined the colts hopes of making it to the memorial cup I was so exited to go watch them :(. Bud :shakehead I think the colts will be better off just wait because they don't want to be in last place a few years from now and lose every game they play. I'm not sure if you realize the colts had 4 overagers last year that carried their team to victories, goals, many scoring chances, and amazing saves that took them to where they were this year OHL final ( Mark scheifele, Steven beyers, Ryan O'Conner, and Mathias Neiderberger) although many other players on the team were a huge help to the colts as well and also won many games for them. Next year the colts will not have these guys that they relied on so much in games last year to score goals and win games for the team and this year it's going to be more of a challenge for the colts and players need to step it up for the team and hopefully have an amazing season ( which i think will happen )without the imports they will need on the team in the future.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I'm not sure if you realize the colts had 4 overagers last year that carried their team to victories, goals, many scoring chances, and amazing saves that took them to where they were this year OHL final ( Mark scheifele, Steven beyers, Ryan O'Conner, and Mathias Neiderberger)

OHL teams must be down to 3 overagers by around Christmas, and can only ever dress 3 in a game. Beyers, O'Connor and Niederberger were the Colts overagers this season. Scheifele was born in 93, and therefore was not an overager. Having said that, it is unlikely that he (or Camara, who is also a 93) will return. As both have signed pro deals, they'll be playing in either the AHL or the NHL next season.

It is nice to have the flexibility to acquire two import players for next season. They can either use those spots to draft players in the import draft, or acquire them through trade. As has been suggested, they may be able to find a better player via trade than in the draft because of where they'll be picking. Of course, it doesn't cost assets to draft where you would have to give something up on the trade market.

DEVSTER*

It is nice to have the flexibility to acquire two import players for next season. They can either use those spots to draft players in the import draft, or acquire them through trade. As has been suggested, they may be able to find a better player via trade than in the draft because of where they'll be picking. Of course, it doesn't cost assets to draft where you would have to give something up on the trade market.

Krazy, is it possible that the Colts may be able to pull off a similar move during the import draft as they did in 2010 with Burmistrov? I understand that he was arguably the most explosive forward to go in the draft at the time. However, he was one of the oldest, wasn't he? Do you think it would be ideal to grab a player who will be a force for a year or two? Or should Barrie go with the more common route and select a younger player who won't be as effective, but will be with the club for a longer period of time? If we are running for the cup again this year, would it not be smart to select a stronger euro? Only if there is one that is.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Anybody hear if the colts will be holding a Spring/summer rookie camp again this year? Good camp to see the future talent.

DEVSTER*

Here is how I see the 2013/14 starting lineup.

Forwards:
LW C RW

Andreas Athanasiou Zach Hall Mitchell Theoret

Josh Macdonald Erik Bradford Import/ Zharkov?

Brendan Lemieux Mathew Kries Justin Scott

Matt Mcleod Dylan Corson Cordell James

I definitely think there is room for improvement when it comes to the group of forwards. I have a small feeling in my gut that Hall will return for his overage season. That is 81 points right there. If he does, he will be aided by two other NHL prospects in Athanasiou and Theoret, providing they both will not get signed. That is about 78 goals between the three last season. The second line also looks promising. I think it is safe to say that Bradford showed a whole new level to his game this season, jumping from 5 goals during his rookie year to 18 during the next. Macdonald had limited time this season to show scouts what he could do. His invisible second half turned out to be costly. Much better opportunity for him this year. Going back to the imports, I would like to see a trade that brings in an experienced talented European scorer. Zharkov is the first that comes to mind. Any other existing imports to be suggested? Colts need another impact player to make a run, no? Transitioning to the 3rd line, I am excited to see Barrie's first round selection Mathew Kries. I think that he can be a more dynamic center than Corson. I have no prove behind it, but Corson's play this season wasn't at best in my opinion. That being said, his job wasn't to score goals, was it? So maybe my opinion is a little off. Regardless, Lemieux is turning out to really impress. He came up with big goals during the 2013 playoff run when his team needed him most. Quite motivating if you ask me. Scott came into the season with high hopes from the fans here in Barrie. I believe he was projected to go in this year's NHL draft before the season began. Look for him to come in and preform as a sophomore should. Finally, the fourth line. Matt Mcleod and Cordell James played with grit to try and crack Barrie's roster last season. They both appeared in Barrie's annual blue and white game as well, therefore making the first cut. Corson is OHL experienced, which is something that neither Mcleod or James have.

To add to that, there are a few more prospects that come to mind after thinking the lines through. Like free agent Gus Ford. You know, the small guy who seemed to have an edge over the other players trying out during training camp. Or how about Klie? I think he is a 95 who looked skillful during 2011/12. Haven't heard anything of him lately though.

Defense:

LD RD

Jake Dotchin Aaron Ekblad

Johhny Laser Alex Lepkowski

Mike Webster Alex Yuill

Marcel Fatovic
Cj Garcia

Aaron Ekblad is going to beast this season, period. He is now a young veteran in the league and I'm sure he will benefit from that. Jake Dotchin also looks promising. He has a great ability to shield the puck and move it to his forwards. Johhny Laser, a plus 16 during the playoffs, are you kidding? He also came up with a huge goal against Belleville in game 6 I believe? The more I view Lepkowski in the defensive core the more I think he should be traded. For one reason and one reason only. Marcel Fatovic. I loved the play of this guy during training camp. He seems to be the same height as Yuill, but man can he ever be stable with the puck. It's very easy to compare the two. Mike Webster came out of no where as I'm sure you'd all agree. He's a good skater who can move the puck easily, just like Fatovic in my opinion. Garcia may be the 7th defense if Lepkowski is moved, again, providing he doesn't sign with the Sabres that is. Which reminds me, what do you think we could get in return for Lepkowski? Keep in mind he is an overager who can bring a lot of experience to the table. Could London use him?

Goalies:

Alex Fotinos

Mackenzie Blackwood

It's finally Fotinos' time to show NHL scouts what he can do. Barrie's most reliable goalie I would imagine. Blackwood was also razor sharp in the one preseason game he played in Barrie stopping Gemel Smith and the other Attack players left in right. He is for sure a dandy as well.

So that wraps up my opinionated report. Any thoughts?

ColtsAreTheTeam

May 21, 2013
Very good lines. Alex Lepkowski this upcoming season I think is going to be one of his best seasons, same with Aaron Ekblad. There is a lot of room for improvement for Alex Yuil and CJ Garcia. I think Garcia should have the chance to play much more games this season and get the chance to show the scouts what he is all about. Alex Yuil is a very good defensive player, he is very strong with the puck, and I think he could maybe move up to the second line defence. Overall those are very good lines, I believe a lot of the colts players will have one of their best seasons and show those scouts their talent:).

ColtsAreTheTeam

May 21, 2013
Here our my predictions of the players we will get from the camp:
1. Mackenzie Blackwood
2. Gus Ford
3. Rocky Kaura
4. Matt Mcleod
5. Cash Seraphim

There could be some more good players at camp, that would help us out.

amyles

We The North
Jul 7, 2010
Barrie
What about Rymarchuk? He should have a chance at a wing spot on the fourth line going into next season.

ColtsAreTheTeam

May 21, 2013
The Grand Rapids Griffins sighned left wing Andreas Athanasiou to an amateur tryout.

Detroit’s third choice (110th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Athanasiou skated in 66 games with the OHL’s Barrie Colts this season, finishing fourth on the team with 67 points (29-38—67). After capturing a league championship and the 2012 CHL Memorial Cup last season with the London Knights, the Woodbridge, Ontario, native was traded to Barrie and helped the team reach the OHL Finals against his former club, falling short in Game 7.

DEVSTER*

The Grand Rapids Griffins sighned left wing Andreas Athanasiou to an amateur tryout.

Detroit’s third choice (110th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Athanasiou skated in 66 games with the OHL’s Barrie Colts this season, finishing fourth on the team with 67 points (29-38—67). After capturing a league championship and the 2012 CHL Memorial Cup last season with the London Knights, the Woodbridge, Ontario, native was traded to Barrie and helped the team reach the OHL Finals against his former club, falling short in Game 7.[/Q

This doesn't necessarily mean that he makes the Red Wings, right? He is only a 94 so I suspect that he is not age eligible to compete with Grand Rapids. Never heard of the term "amateur tryout".

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012

Detroit’s third choice (110th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Athanasiou skated in 66 games with the OHL’s Barrie Colts this season, finishing fourth on the team with 67 points (29-38—67). After capturing a league championship and the 2012 CHL Memorial Cup last season with the London Knights, the Woodbridge, Ontario, native was traded to Barrie and helped the team reach the OHL Finals against his former club, falling short in Game 7.[/Q

This doesn't necessarily mean that he makes the Red Wings, right? He is only a 94 so I suspect that he is not age eligible to compete with Grand Rapids. Never heard of the term "amateur tryout".

Means that he will play(or travel/practise) with Grand Rapids for the rest of their season until they are eliminated.

DEVSTER*

I believe that Cody Brown would be a good for the third line, or a very good penalty killer.

Very much so, however he is heading into his overage season. Is he good enough to have a spot secured on the 2013/14 roster?

ColtsAreTheTeam

May 21, 2013
Josh MacDonald could rotate with Mitch Theoret on the first line. This year MacDonald didn't get to really show the scouts his talent. He was rotating from the fourth line to the third line, josh is a very skilled hockey player. If he could average 20:00 minutes of ice time he would be a good offensive player for the colts.

ColtsAreTheTeam

May 21, 2013
Very true. He needs some more playing time, to show those scouts his talent! He could take the place of Dylan Corson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad