Confirmed with Link: Official 2023 Training Camp discussion - CAMPS OVER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
You talked about Dubas in the post I replied to :huh:
I talked about Dubas when he was with the Leafs.

You asked about what he’s done with the Penguins, to which I replied I don’t know or care.

Since he is no longer with the Leafs, I really have no greater interest in him or what he does, than like all the other GM’s in the league.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I wonder if the timing of the Matt Murray operation announcement is because Murray held out a glimmer of hope that some organization would take a flyer on him. Sounds like this is a chronic problem he's looking to repair, probably something dating back as far as his Pittsburgh days when the decline set in. Best of luck to him. I believe they're still perfecting the surgical treatment of that type of problem. They made an utter mess of knees in the 1970s but now those knees can be brought back to some reasonable percentage of the original performance. Maybe these hips can be the same thing.
It is such a shame that there was no microscopic surgeries for knees back then. Bobby Orr would have been fine in 6 weeks and who knows what else he would have done in his career.

Reactions: freshwind

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I talked about Dubas when he was with the Leafs.

You asked about what he’s done with the Penguins, to which I replied I don’t know or care.

Since he is no longer with the Leafs, I really have no greater interest in him or what he does, than like all the other GM’s in the league.
:laugh: ok

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
He played well in a two games against the Belleville Senators and Laval Rockets. His body of work over the last 4-5 years is probably why he didn't get claimed.
I think the 100K claim bonus had something to do with it.

You don't think that didn't discourage a team like Tampa to claim him? Especially with Vas likely out until Christmas. I don't think their 2 current goalies are any better then Jones.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You don't think that didn't discourage a team like Tampa to claim him? Especially with Vas likely out until Christmas. I don't think their 2 current goalies are any better then Jones.
Why would they care about that if they want the player?

Reactions: kb

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

$100k is nothing to pay to improve at a crucial position like net.

If anything, Tampa would need to feel that Jones wasn’t a discernible improvement over what they currently have, which is apparently their position in not claiming him.

$100k isn’t going to dissuade anyone from a player who significantly improves their team.

Reactions: kb

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The Leafs have $8,551 in cap space with the roster listed and Gregor unsigned and Timmins on LTIR with a 21 man roster. So, they are currently cap compliant to start the season.

It seems they chose to protect McMann from waivers with Timmins injured in the short term. That would have made sense before pre-season but he got hurt and we all forgot about him.

In order to sign Gregor, Cowan would have to be demoted because the Leafs go over the cap with a 21 man roster with the minor increase in cap from McMann to Gregor.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Question

how come Knies only has 2 years left on his ELC ?

Is it because he played in the playoffs last year?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Knies only having two years on his ELC could be beneficial. If he plays on the 3rd line this year, his counting stats may not be amazing. He'll be eligible for an extension next summer. Hopefully they can get him locked up long-term at a reasonable AAV, then you can put him with Matthews/Marner and watch his numbers explode.

We have a history of doing the opposite, putting guys in their best possible positions to rack up stats before their payday. Like we played Zaitsev a ton on the PP in his rookie year. He put up 0 PP points for the rest of his Leafs career, but we paid him $4.5 million because he put up points in his rookie year.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He burns a year because he played in regular seasons games at the end of the year.

Most NCAA guys burn the "first" year of their elc by doing that. It was big news that Cooley didnt do that and signed later in the summer. Most thought he would end up going back another year because of that.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Maybe, but if Vasi is on LTIR they should have no cap issues to take on the additional $100k. Do t know their cap situation but they shouldn’t be THAT up against the cap that they couldn’t take on that relatively small amount of money.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Knies only having two years on his ELC could be beneficial. If he plays on the 3rd line this year, his counting stats may not be amazing. He'll be eligible for an extension next summer. Hopefully they can get him locked up long-term at a reasonable AAV, then you can put him with Matthews/Marner and watch his numbers explode.

We have a history of doing the opposite, putting guys in their best possible positions to rack up stats before their payday. Like we played Zaitsev a ton on the PP in his rookie year. He put up 0 PP points for the rest of his Leafs career, but we paid him $4.5 million because he put up points in his rookie year.

I'd love to do a Farabee / Tuch like extension, 6 years around 5M per.

Maybe, but if Vasi is on LTIR they should have no cap issues to take on the additional $100k. Do t know their cap situation but they shouldn’t be THAT up against the cap that they couldn’t take on that relatively small amount of money.

I think you pay something like 50-55k to make a claim too

100k signing bonuses

775k salary

All of a sudden it could be a 925k commitment with 150k hitting you fast for a guy that may not be apart of your plans beyond a few months.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He burns a year because he played in regular seasons games at the end of the year.

Most NCAA guys burn the "first" year of their elc by doing that. It was big news that Cooley didnt do that and signed later in the summer. Most thought he would end up going back another year because of that.
Just for clarification for others reading this far:

That's mostly just because most NCAA guys sign past the age of 19, so they're not candidate for slides and even a single game will use up a contract year.
If, for whatever reason, Cooley went back to juniors or otherwise played fewer than 10 games this season, he would slide, despite signing from the NCAA. Even if he plays 9 games this year, he won't burn a contract year bc he was 19 at the age of signing

Reactions: Gallagbi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad