Official 2017 Stars Tank Watch

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
This thread is for those of us that believe the Stars are doomed this season...

This thread is for those of us who have watched enough Stars hockey over the roughly the past 10 years who can smell the mediocrity from a mile away, and realize the viscious cycle inherent in being middle of the pack.

This thread is for Draft lovers who want to finally see the Stars get a pick 1-3 or 1-5...Someone who can jump in immediately and be a core player and difference-maker, as opposed to a "maybe he's a #3 D for us in 4 years" type.

The Tank Watch begins....

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
latest

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Tank Watch Update: Dra

Current Draft Seed: 7 (counting LV who enters the lottery with the same odds as the #3 worst team in the league)

With the Stars come through big against a bad team in Calgary with a hard fought Regulation Loss, and points being collected from our Draft Day competitors, the Stars have moved into the #7 after yesterday's loser point-loss by Carolina.

The good news for the Stars is that we have upward draft mobility as all of the teams with less points so far have games in hand on us to pick up points and send us up in the Draft Seeding.

Plenty of Draft Lottery team action tonight as COL, ARI, NYI, and VAN hope to lose in regulation and keep us at bay.

Control what you can control, as they say, and lose in regulation tonight against the Preds.

Go Stars!...or something

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
...Oh yeah, and I really wanna see Dickinson get a goal or two in a 5-2 loss tonight.

Really like his game.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
I made my peace with the fact this season was going to be brutal as soon as the mammoth list of injuries was revealed early on. it blows and makes watching the games feel pretty pointless to watch, but it is what it is. I'd feel satisfied if they manage a good pick. if they fall middle pack, I'll be disappointed but not shocked after years of that happening.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I don't know. While I'd love to have a Nolan Patrick type — and I'm not sure he's ready to step in right away, nor do I think the Stars organization would rush him if they did fall — the Stars are two points out of the top wild card spot with two games in hand on Calgary after a horrible start.

I'm concerned that L.A. and Nashville are also in striking distance of that spot with fewer games played, but I'm not sure the season is lost. With some health and a shrewd trade, the Stars could really push and I think history has shown players picked in the teens can be players just as often as those 5-10.

Personally, I'm not sold on Lindy Ruff's coaching getting the Stars over the hump but I also think this team is too good to fold the tent on. I don't believe the D is that big a downgrade over last year if he would just find six and let them jell. And while they didn't win the big game against St. Louis in the playoffs, Niemi and Lehtonen did just fine in the regular season last year. Would I like an upgrade? Absolutely. Can they get the team to the playoffs if a top goalie doesn't materialize? I believe so.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
None of the top players in the 2017 draft will be impact players in the NHL until 2019.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
None of the top players in the 2017 draft will be impact players in the NHL until 2019.

That's got nothing to do with adding talent to a cupboard that's becoming more bare by the day. 2014 was a terrible draft by Dallas. Lots of players have graduated but other than maybe Gurianov there isn't a difference maker in the entire pool. Even if it takes two years a stud forward and a new stud defenseman prospect would be massive to this club.

Also beyond that trading vets for multiple draft picks can give Dallas options to trade them for current players or as parts of deals to bring in prospects closer to NHL ready.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
T

This thread is for Draft lovers who want to finally see the Stars get a pick 1-3 or 1-5...Someone who can jump in immediately and be a core player and difference-maker, as opposed to a "maybe he's a #3 D for us in 4 years" type.

The Tank Watch begins....

That's got nothing to do with adding talent to a cupboard that's becoming more bare by the day. 2014 was a terrible draft by Dallas. Lots of players have graduated but other than maybe Gurianov there isn't a difference maker in the entire pool. Even if it takes two years a stud forward and a new stud defenseman prospect would be massive to this club.

Also beyond that trading vets for multiple draft picks can give Dallas options to trade them for current players or as parts of deals to bring in prospects closer to NHL ready.

My post is in reference to what I've bolded.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Satan, yeah sorry misread you.

Wish there was a Tkachuk or a Puljujarvi you could get in that 5-10 range but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible this draft. Still a project like Ehlers, Nylander or Fiala would be amazing. I really wanted Fabbri and we took Honka. We made the right choice but a guy like Fabbri would be really nice to dream on, even if it took two years.

It does suck to see that Dallas may sell off assets in a bad draft year but I do hope Nill is scouring deals for guys like Janmark that are overlooked by their current organization. A player like that and a few 2nd rounders that could be flipped for this year's Leddy or Seidenberg would be good to have as options at the draft.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Tank Watch Update

Great, CLUTCH regulation loss yesterday.

Stars, seeking consistency, look to make it 2 regulation losses in a row tonight vs. Chicago.

Still tied for the most losses in the league.

Current Draft Seed: 7 (8 w/Las Vegas)

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Wooooooooooo!!!

Stars put another regulation loss on the board. Great weekend for the tank.

Unfortunately no one will jump over us the the draft standings today as Toronto looks like they will win their game, but you control what you can control. ;)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Wooooooooooo!!!

Stars put another regulation loss on the board. Great weekend for the tank.

Unfortunately no one will jump over us the the draft standings today as Toronto looks like they will win their game, but you control what you can control. ;)

Both Tor and NYI should pass us with there 3 games in hand. Possibly the Sabres too. Which would put us bottom 5

I really wanted to stay positive and not join this thread, but theres only so many things i can break in my house each game

Sell off what we can and let the young guys play

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Both Tor and NYI should pass us with there 3 games in hand. Possibly the Sabres too. Which would put us bottom 5

I really wanted to stay positive and not join this thread, but theres only so many things i can break in my house each game

Sell off what we can and let the young guys play

Yes, the games in hand that the other basement dwellers have are our friend.

Welcome to the team, man. We welcome you with open arms.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Tank Watch Update

Current Draft Seed: 8

Here's the ideal outcomes for tonight's games for the tank:

- Dallas: Regulation Loss
- Winnipeg beats Florida in OT, so that Florida picks up a loser point to keep ahead of us in the standings as Florida leapfrogs up the standings with their 2 points.
- Toronto beats Arizona (preferably in OT as well so that we gain ground on the Coyotes in the race for the bottom while at the same time we jump TOR in line for the draft seeding)

If we get the OT loss, Winnipeg wins, and Toronto wins, then we go from our current draft see of 8 to 6.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Tank Watch Update

Current Draft Seed: 7

Ayyohhhhhh! Big Reg Loss!!! Had to pull out all of the stops to lose that one with Niemi playing out of his mind and a Rangers parade to the sin.

Top 3 Tank Stars of the Game:

1. Bennn (great SH giveaway)
2. Klingberg (what was that with the empty net all about?)
3. Seguin

Great job to all three in managing to do NOTHING to impact the scoreboard.

Stars take sole possession of the most losses in the league today with 20. Woooooooooooo!!!!!

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Cody Eakin is trying to be the MVP of the tank movement. Between his game losing turnovers and his five minute major, he is working hard to give games away.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He shouldn't have gotten himself suspended to help the tank though. Him beeing in the lineup makes us worse the way he's been playing. Even just yesterday his line started the game and right away was caved in the defensive zone giving up several great scoring chances.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad