Official 2016 World Hockey Championships Thread

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Alex Lyon isn't eligible for the playoffs and was selected last year to play for the US. Maybe he goes again if they get desperate.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Alex Lyon isn't eligible for the playoffs and was selected last year to play for the US. Maybe he goes again f they get desperate.

Yeah I'm expecting to see some guys go if we get knocked out of the first round. I'd imagine USA will be looking at Gostisbehere as a potential guy with their saved spots.

I don't think they've had a defensemen named yet (at least not publicly).

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
For those interested in this (likely not many, when the Flyers are in the playoffs). Here are the initial rosters for US, Canada.

Canada: G - Talbot, Pickard | D - Tanev, Rielly, Ceci, Hutton, Murray | F - McDavid, Hall, Duchene, Stone, Jenner, O'Reilly, Marchand, Scheifele, Gallagher, Domi, Reinhart.

USA: G - Condon, Kinkaid | D - Murphy, C. Wideman, Hanifin, McCabe | F - Matthews, Maroon, Hendricks, Foligno, Compher, Connor, Motte.

Rosters will be likely completed after the 1st round of play-offs.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I figured USA would ice a solid lineup this year but it looks like was wrong. Hendricks & Weidman were some of the first leaked names so you know they were dipping to their C, D, F, etc. options pretty early. :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ghost might be better off staying home than trying to carry that USA team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ghost going could mean the difference of making the World Cup or not.

I doubt it. USA Hockey doesn't seem to hold grudges over guys not participating in this tournament despite constantly having a lot of their talent not participate.

You know things are bad when you're really pleasantly surprised that a guy like Nick Folgino accepted an invite. :laugh:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Gostisbehere should get an invite I would think. Not sure how much he has left in the tank though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Gostisbehere should get an invite I would think. Not sure how much he has left in the tank though.

Yeah I'm thinking him, Raffl, & Bellemare might be the ones who go over.

I wouldn't mind if he skipped it to be honest. The fact that he played prep hockey then in the NCAA on top of coming off a serious injury this was probably a big
grind on him compared to other young guys.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
So the Championships are in a week and a half. The Cup is in September?

Correct.

Yeah I'm thinking him, Raffl, & Bellemare might be the ones who go over.

I wouldn't mind if he skipped it to be honest. The fact that he played prep hockey then in the NCAA on top of coming off a serious injury this was probably a big
grind on him compared to other young guys.

Yes, I am very curious to see if Ghost goes, he is probably tired and exhausted after this season which was big jump for him.

Would like to see PEB there, he had to miss last year due to injury. It's always fun to cheer for France. Not sure about Raffl, Austria is already playing, they are not in top tier group, they are in second tier. They are facing Japan, Poland, Slovenia, South Korea, Italy and Poland. :laugh:

MiD

Oct 13, 2008
The most important game for Austria will be last one on Friday against Slovenia. That game will decide about 1st place and going back to elite for Austria or Slovenia. Austrian coach was talking about keeping roster spot for Raffl, but I don't know if he did that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wouldn't mind anyone who is healthy going, especially Giroux. Would like him to go an get a chance to feel better about the end of his season.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I have a feeling the Flyers will be putting several players into bacta tanks after announcing the injuries/surgery parade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad