GDT: Official 2015-16 Training Camp Thread! | Up First.... Rookie Tourny in London!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Handing out contracts is gonna be a difficult proposition unless they trade some guys cause they are at 49 right now with a bunch of pros trying for Leafs camp contracts too. I'm guessing an AHL/ECHL contract does not count against that total?

I like Nichols. He's a Bernier clone. But does the organization really need more goalie projects? No.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Handing out contracts is gonna be a difficult proposition unless they trade some guys cause they are at 49 right now with a bunch of pros trying for Leafs camp contracts too. I'm guessing an AHL/ECHL contract does not count against that total?

I like Nichols. He's a Bernier clone. But does the organization really need more goalie projects? No.

Actually I would submit that goalie prospects is where we are weakest and most shallow. Especially with the team wanting to use the ECHL more we could use a 4th goalie prospect. I'm assuming Reimer gets traded by seasons end as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Didn't Nichols receive an AHL contract at the end of last season?

He was signed last April to an Amateur Tryout but I don't think he was offered a contract with the Marlies. He was just added in case injuries piled up in the crease of the Marlies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brouillard looks adept defensively and similar to Dermott appears to know how and when to recover the puck with speed and agility and physical play.

There's not many d-men of his stature that excel professionally but his game looks well-honed at this level. He was simply brilliant last night.

It is the only time I've ever seen him play so no idea if this was unusual or this is his normal self - whatever it was - I like it. Mark Hunter and Lou Lam have a history of letting skilled guys play so we'll see if he did enough last night.

Keep in mind Brouillard is already 20, passed over 3 X in the entry draft and played 4 full years in Q already.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Would anyone offer Nichols a contract?

I'm of the opinion that Nichols or Peressini would be better long-term and possibly short term options then 27 year old Rob Madore as the #6 goalie in the system on an AHL contract.

However, Madore is already signed at that position and Nichols and Peressini probably haven't made any new fans with their play so far. So, we'll see.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Keep in mind Brouillard is already 20, passed over 3 X in the entry draft and played 4 full years in Q already.

I guess that's why he looks good then. Doesn't change anything for me. Good is good regardless of age. Put him in the main Leaf camp and lets see how he does - maybe not the same standout effect. Is he playing in the Q this year?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I guess that's why he looks good then. Doesn't change anything for me. Good is good regardless of age. Put him in the main Leaf camp and lets see how he does - maybe not the same standout effect. Is he playing in the Q this year?

He is scheduled to go play as overager in the Q unless he gets a PTO from some team to turn pro.

He was the highest scoring Dmen in the QMJHL last year and 49th overall in scoring among all players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tonight is all about seeing how Marner plays tonight for me. He was rather ordinary in his debut the other night. Looking to see him play more like he can.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I agree and would be shocked if he did not get a main camp invite. He looked a lot better than some of our past picks.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He is scheduled to go play as overager in the Q unless he gets a PTO from some team to turn pro.

He was the highest scoring Dmen in the QMJHL last year and 49th overall in scoring among all players.

Lots of players, few openings.

Wonder if he'd be happier in the Q than some tier 2 Euro team making a living?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lots of players, few openings.

Wonder if he'd be happier in the Q than some tier 2 Euro team making a living?

I was thinking about this last night. Would the Leafs allow Gauthier to go back to the Q as an over ager to give him ample chances at a top 6 role? Is this still possible?

Marlies have a few Centers that may be top 6'ers ahead of Gauthier. Or will he start in the ECHL? Given the choices, I may opt for Gauthier in Rimouski at age 20.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Nice to see Finn has another solid game. Keeps this up and it shows why he was a 1st round talent. NHL level skills easily and skating looks to be catching up. So much for being a bust. Than again its Leafs nation, which is attack players, look at the Rielly thread. Serves some of them right to watch a terrible hockey team. Like I say, you get what you deserve. Cant believe I actually Jays fans were worst. When really as DJQ said, Leafs fans really lower the knowledge level of Jays fanbase.
Marner prepare for a rath of impatience, please be a supertar before 21, or you will get blindly attacked on.

Anyway, looks like Finn is coming along, with ULF attacking him, you know he is doing well. Now dont know why he hates on Finn, either he cant be objective or his massive Granberg fanism.
Funny how once Percy struggled, Peter completely fell off the face of the map

Finn was sub-par again last night. The kid doesn't need you defending him on the forums, it doesn't increase his value, it doesn't make him play better. Call it how it is. He has played poorly thus far and his progression has been underwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Would anyone offer Nichols a contract?

After another year in the OHL, I would be fine with giving him an AHL contract. Don't think he has NHL potential though, and 30 NHL teams agreed with that 3 times.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I may watch more Marlies games this year than the Leafs

Gone are the useless players who did nothing on the team but take up contracts
Orr, Maclaren, Biggs, Broll, Devane and Ross

Kapy, Nylander, Sashnikov, Brown, Leipsic, Vaiev Hyman, Skladinchenko and hopefully Johnsson

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I was thinking about this last night. Would the Leafs allow Gauthier to go back to the Q as an over ager to give him ample chances at a top 6 role? Is this still possible?

Marlies have a few Centers that may be top 6'ers ahead of Gauthier. Or will he start in the ECHL? Given the choices, I may opt for Gauthier in Rimouski at age 20.

ECHL would be better for him than the QMJHL. It's a professional league where grown men play. It's the same reason why a guy like Auston Matthews opted for the NLA. Grown men are better at hockey than the 16-20 year olds in the CHL. Ignore the goon-like mentality that the ECHL holds. He and/or Verhaeghe will get top minutes down there and that's what matters.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Finn was sub-par again last night. The kid doesn't need you defending him on the forums, it doesn't increase his value, it doesn't make him play better. Call it how it is. He has played poorly thus far and his progression has been underwhelming.

He looks to be a favourite to begin the year in the ECHL as he will be pushed by Marlies dmen and may be forced out and down the depth charts.

He has struggled in this tournament and he is older than a lot of the other players already having a year of pro under his belt. He should be heads and tails better than junior players in this event.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I see Verhaeghe being phased out eventually. Kind of like Mckegg and co. who were sent out the door the last year. Management might go for more high end talent and he is also from the old regime when it comes down to it. He'll be in Orlando this year and we'll see where he goes from there. He could easily be a throw in piece in a deal at the TDL.

He hasn't done anything to show his value. He's not really tough, he's not really skilled. So the called hockey IQ is overrated if you can't skate or fight along the boards

Especially now considering the types of players we have. He was too safe of a pick

It's like they went and drafted an OHL version of Matt Stajan and thought that was a safe smart pick. The guy looks so sluggish out there, but I guess that's fine cause I don't think anyone was penciling him in for NHL duty ever.

mikebel111*

Finn nice game again. Hope he keeps it up. Dont be upset about it that he did

PS: Gained some respect for the mods on here for removing insulting posts. Nice work:)

Also, I will defend him. You have no right to say not. Considering you ignored my last post, I guess you knew I was right. Thanks for doing that and indirectly saying I was right. Guess I have hockey knowledge after all eh Stringer Bell?

Last edited by a moderator:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Without ripping Finn, i'll just say he left me underwhelmed and I didn't a "wow" factor.

Luckily this is just a rookie tournament and he will have all year to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad