Speculation: Offer Sheet?

Do you think the Jets would ever offer sheet another teams player?

• Yes

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 75 87.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Simple question, do you think that the Jets organization would ever offer sheet another teams player?

Poll closes in one week.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes. If there is a player available and they can take advantage they darn well should be using every available tool.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The way the rules are now it's not really worth the hassle. Needs to be an overpay contract plus compensation plus higher chance of your own guys being sheeted.

Never say never I guess.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If it’s a young important player, the incumbent team usually matches immediately, so it’s not a strategy that bears fruit often.

Don’t see Chevy wanting to give up the compensation if it’s a hefty offer also.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, I think they "would", if the situation was right. But I don't the the situation is likely to arise, or that a RFA would sign an offer sheet in WPG, so I think it's doubtful that they "will".

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The ghost of Brian Burke will haunt whatever GM dares to exercise the offer sheet. Well not really Burke's ghost, just his pale white arse on TV cursing you out.

If we do, it has to be well calculated attempt, because you seem to go on a black list for doing so.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
They can offer all they want. But it is up to the player and his agent to accept the offer. If a player declines it generally doesn't become public knowledge.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
nope. chevy hardly trades (outside tdl), i doubt he tries an o/s which is even rarer in the nhl. last year was supposed to be the year of the offer-sheet, and 1 got accepted, and another 1 or 2 got reportedly declined. the most vulnerable team is TBL with Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak as RFAs, but i doubt any of those players would sign to leave TBL to come here.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They could not allow teams to exceed the 10% summer cap cushion for the purpose of matching offer sheets. That would really paint teams into a corner...force trades and what not. But no GM really likes them, so I doubt we'll ever see any significant changes.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Seems like the top ones that would even be worth us trying would be Cirelli and Sergachev (TBL), Barzal and Pulock (NYI), and D. Strome (CHI).

Would love PLD (CBJ), but figure they’ll have enough cap space to match just about anything.

Maybe the real smart play is waiting for Barzal to get O/S $11M and then O/S Pulock. A blue line of Morrissey-Pulock, Samberg-Pionk, Heinola-DeMelo would be quite the sight.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Most offersheets usually have to be front loaded and pretty much all in signing bonus money in order to lure a player to sign. The Jets have never done this with any of the players they have drafted and likely never will. We don't have the money to throw at things like NYR, TML or MTL does. We draft player, we get them to like our culture and we offer them fair contracts for both sides.

The Jets will likely never be the type of team that offer sheets players. It's just not in our budget or nature.

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Why not? Shoot a low ball offer to every rfa, see if anyone bites and then hope their team forgets to answer in time

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The ghost of Brian Burke will haunt whatever GM dares to exercise the offer sheet. Well not really Burke's ghost, just his pale white arse on TV cursing you out.

If we do, it has to be well calculated attempt, because you seem to go on a black list for doing so.

We aren’t offer sheeting anyone.

Burke’s pale white arse eh?
Imagine if you used a woman or minority in place of this.
Perfect example of double standards

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We aren’t offer sheeting anyone.

Burke’s pale white arse eh?
Imagine if you used a woman or minority in place of this.
Perfect example of double standards

Imagine you making a more desperate attempt to portray my post as an example of misogyny/racism.

My post didn't have the slightest hint of what you are accusing me of, and I am the furthest thing away from what your stupidity is implying.

Comparing a statement that references that amount of makeup used to paint Burke's face white on TV, to racism and sexism, is an example of someone using serious social issues as a mechanism to attack others.

If you are going to point that gun at someone, you better damn well have your ducks in a row and understand what you are accusing someone of.

Your ignorance is not an excuse.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Imagine you making a more desperate attempt to portray my post as an example of misogyny/racism.

My post didn't have the slightest hint of what you are accusing me of, and I am the furthest thing away from what your stupidity is implying.

Comparing a statement that references that amount of makeup used to paint Burke's face white on TV, to racism and sexism, is an example of someone using serious social issues as a mechanism to attack others.

If you are going to point that gun at someone, you better damn well have your ducks in a row and understand what you are accusing someone of.

Your ignorance is not an excuse.
You need to relax
GJG

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Barzal for 5 years at 10.568m per year.
It would cost the Jets two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.
KC Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Barzal Laine
Harkins Little Roslo
Copper Lowry Apples

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
KC Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Barzal Laine
Harkins Little Roslo
Copper Lowry Apples

If I was Chevy , and could get Barzal for that, I'd make the deal. With that young talented forward group, we'd be a Stanley Cup championship team. Barzal is the "exact" kind of guy we need at 2nd line center.

Because Scheif, Connor, Ehlers, Helle and Laine are signed to reasonable contracts --I think we could make that work, unlike a lot of other teams, that overpaid their star players --like Toronto, and Chicago.

Toronto have Mathews, Marner, and Taveres at around $ 12 mil each totals = $ 36 mil, and then add on Nylander at $ 7.5 and the grand total for 4 players is $ 43 million --that's half the Cap. How are you supposed to sign some good backfill players, when you have no Cap room. That's why I like how Chevy has managed the financial side of all our player contracts. We have room to sign a star player.

I should add, I doubt the Islanders would let Barzal go for that price --"they likely would match it" -- for $ 10.5 mil per year. Be nice to make a deal like this though.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
KC Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Barzal Laine
Harkins Little Roslo
Copper Lowry Apples

Like Barzal, but no way would I want the Jets to offer that. IMO he's not close to being worth 10.5 million, and that contract would handcuff us. I think if the Jets are looking for a 2C improvement they can do it without that kind of massive overpayment that will throw our cap and ability to sign other key players out of whack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad