Speculation: Offer sheet Point

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Just thinking out loud. If you were a team that had the space would you Offersheet B. Point to a 4 x 8M contract. That walks him to a year before his UFA year but still allows him Arbitration rights and the ability to walk in his first available UFA year. It only costs the offering team a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd which is a great deal. I also see TB having trouble matching that deal even with 11M is cap space going UFA on the back end unless Tampa wants to slot in a bunch of 5/6 journeyman.

Assuming Point agrees to the sheet it's lose/lose for Tampa. They either lose one of their better players, match the offer and get tight to the cap resulting in them icing a substandard D corps, or needing to trade players (Cally/Miller) to make space.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Just thinking out loud. If you were a team that had the space would you Offersheet B. Point to a 4 x 8M contract. That walks him to a year before his UFA year but still allows him Arbitration rights and the ability to walk in his first available UFA year. It only costs the offering team a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd which is a great deal. I also see TB having trouble matching that deal even with 11M is cap space going UFA on the back end unless Tampa wants to slot in a bunch of 5/6 journeyman.

Assuming Point agrees to the sheet it's lose/lose for Tampa. They either lose one of their better players, match the offer and get tight to the cap resulting in them icing a substandard D corps, or needing to trade players (Cally/Miller) to make space.
They'll find a way out of their cap situation. Trading J.T. Miller, TJ or Callahan will come much before Point gets an OS. Coburn, Girardi, and Stralman also become UFAs at years end which frees up 11.2 million in cap. Plus nobody uses Offer sheets.
Also I don't even think Point would sign a 8 million contract outside of Florida where there is no state tax. Tampa's the best team in the league and has money benefits so Point really isn't going anywhere IMO.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tampa could match 8.

There's no way getting around it, if a team wants to steal Point, they would need to put up four first round picks. Offer sheets aren't a have your cake and eat it too type situation. Some people seem to think they are, but they aren't.

Offer Point 7 years at 12.5M, give up four first round picks, Tampa probably doesn't match.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I will preface this with my standard, no one offer sheets anyone anymore.

However, if I were to OS someone and it was going to be a center I think I'd look at Sebastian Aho. Great young player and Carolina doesn't seem to want to pay their players.

It would be a waste of time because they aren't stupid enough to not match and an offer they wouldn't match would be stupid. Which is why OS's are stupid.
But he would be the target for me.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
You're gonna have to give an offer worth the 4 1st round picks AND to get Point to sign that.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah cant see him signing one TBH,he is in a great place in TB dont think he will want to leave

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
They'll find a way out of their cap situation. Trading J.T. Miller, TJ or Callahan will come much before Point gets an OS. Coburn, Girardi, and Stralman also become UFAs at years end which frees up 11.2 million in cap. Plus nobody uses Offer sheets.
Also I don't even think Point would sign a 8 million contract outside of Florida where there is no state tax. Tampa's the best team in the league and has money benefits so Point really isn't going anywhere IMO.

Then offer Sheet at 10.1 which is still only two 1st round picks. The point (heh) is not to pry him out necessarily but to force Tampa into a corner where either way they need to make a sacrifice.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is genius because Tampa is terrible with 1st round picks so just give them get point in return and you are good to go

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not gonna happen... I know offersheet threads always come up but they pretty much dont exist in the NHL

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
$73.1 million committed for next year. 3 current roster defenders are UFA. I assume Cam Foote will replace one of them, but you need the space for his max bonuses. Are any of the other D prospects ready to replace one of Stralman, Girardi, or Coburn? Callahan comes off the books just in time to pay Vasilevskiy the large sum he'll require (I suspect somewhere between Lundqvist and Price). There's room, but they'll have to be careful. There's a lot of money committed to the forward group already - with Gourde's and Kucherov's extensions kicking in next year. It would be easy to over extend.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not gonna happen... I know offersheet threads always come up but they pretty much dont exist in the NHL

Chayka himself said this during the week:

The Kapanen level guys are the better cases to be OS, since high end players are usually worth their money or the team lets them walk for 4 1sts

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
1) He won't get OS
2) If you really think Tampa wouldn't match a 4x8, I dunno if I can trust you
3) He won't get OS

Reactions: DanM

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Then offer Sheet at 10.1 which is still only two 1st round picks. The point (heh) is not to pry him out necessarily but to force Tampa into a corner where either way they need to make a sacrifice.
Yeah but doing that creates a lot of problems in relationships. Don't want to give tampa bay a reason to be pissed at your team either they're world destroyers as is.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
$73.1 million committed for next year. 3 current roster defenders are UFA. I assume Cam Foote will replace one of them, but you need the space for his max bonuses. Are any of the other D prospects ready to replace one of Stralman, Girardi, or Coburn? Callahan comes off the books just in time to pay Vasilevskiy the large sum he'll require (I suspect somewhere between Lundqvist and Price). There's room, but they'll have to be careful. There's a lot of money committed to the forward group already - with Gourde's and Kucherov's extensions kicking in next year. It would be easy to over extend.
Masin most likely is ready.

Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh, Cernak, Masin, Foote. That's if we somehow don't sign Stralman.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

The emergence of Cernak this season has done wonders for the future outlook. You're still working with Hedman-Sergachev/McDonagh-Cernak as your top 4. Allows Foote or Masin to take the 5/6 and a cheaply acquired UFA can fill in the hole, assuming the team thinks one of Foote/Masin isn't ready.

Only gets sweeter if they can move Miller without taking salary back or if they can find a way to dump Callahan.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Tampa isn't losing their 1C for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. They would make whatever moves they have to, including dumping Callahan + a high pick on a cap floor team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Lots of players prefer the long term contract, even if the cap is lower. There's a risk factor in playing hockey. He may take 8.5/7 before taking 10.5/4. In any scenario, it's matched and then Tampa figures it out. You'll have to make a big offer where there's definitely 4 first round picks for Tampa to "maybe" have their hands tied.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tampa isn't losing their 1C for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. They would make whatever moves they have to, including dumping Callahan + a high pick on a cap floor team.

Does TB have to match? Because if TB's offer is, say, 9.5, which isn't crazily unrealistic, it's still worth it to Point to sign TB's offer rather than the opposing one, where, after taxes, he'd likely be making less money.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I will preface this with my standard, no one offer sheets anyone anymore.

However, if I were to OS someone and it was going to be a center I think I'd look at Sebastian Aho. Great young player and Carolina doesn't seem to want to pay their players.

It would be a waste of time because they aren't stupid enough to not match and an offer they wouldn't match would be stupid. Which is why OS's are stupid.
But he would be the target for me.

Why?

Aren't both Matthews and Point more highly touted than Aho?

You're paying 4 1st round picks. That's the cost (plus a likely overpayment on salary) to get the player. Why not go for the best available?

As for the OP - I would pay a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick in a heartbeat to be able to sign Point to a 4 yr 8M contract. As would probably 29 other teams.

1. Point will refuse the offer
2. Tampa will not only match, they'd offer him more.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
This is genius because Tampa is terrible with 1st round picks so just give them get point in return and you are good to go
In the Yzermen era TBL has had 8 first round picks and 7 of them are in the NHL (two of them on your team). The only one who isn’t is Foote and he projects as an NHLer so there are no total busts. Only one is elite (Vasi) but only two were top 10 picks (Connolly and Drouin). Just because most of them are no longer in Tampa doesn’t mean they were terrible picks. Yzerman turned them into McDonagh, Miller, Sergachev and Coburn. It’s not a great record but to call it terrible is inaccurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad