Proposal: Offer sheet Byfield

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Assuming Byfield got that 8 mil AAV offer sheet, Kings would still have close to 14 million in cap space. Most of the RFAs wouldn't be in line for huge raises. They might not be able to re-sign Arvidsson/Roy but that might have been the plan anyways. Maybe puts the Kings in a tougher spot to get a name brand starting goalie.

Byfield(8)-Kopitar(7)-Kempe(5.5)
Fiala (7.875)-Dubois (8.5)-tbd
Moore(4.25)-Danault(5.5)-Laferriere(.875)
tbd-Lizotte(RFA)-Kaliyev(RFA)
Turcotte(RFA)-Thomas(RFA)

Anderson(4.125)-Doughty(11)
Gavrikov(5.875)-Clarke(.863)
Englund(1)-Spence(RFA)
Moverare(.775)

tbd-tbd

Richards buyout + Provorov retention: 2.725
current total ~73.863 million

That's like 13M to sign 9 players including a starting goalie and a 2RW. It's tight, they certainly lose Arvidsson and Roy in that scenario.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sakic was super close to being a Ranger had it not been for Air Force One. It almost worked.

watch Saving Sakic, very interesting.
Sergei Fedorov signed one, too with Carolina.

Byfield will definitely be of interest and a team I could see doing it.

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
What are LA Fans thoughts on Byfield's RFA contract? Is LA pushing for a lower caphit bridge contract?
If the Kings are smart they'll lock him up for as long as they possibly can. They're lucky he tailed off a little at the end, he showed legit elite player potential for a large portion of the season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Byfield may explore options if the Kings don't give him the deal he wants. But, I don't think the list of males in their early 20 to mid 20's who are paid in the millions regardless of where they work lining up to trade Los Angeles for Salt Lake City even for a raise and a better tax rate. Most big markets don't tend to lose the players they want to keep, and LA is one of those markets.

Ledge And Dairy

Wouldn't a 5x8.5M OS leave LA with like 14M to sign/resign 10 players? That'd be kinda tight.
Seems pretty doable.
Turcotte, and Kaliyev will be dirt cheap to extend, Spence will cost ~1M to extend on a 1 year deal, promote Clarke, now you have ~10.5M to fill 4-6 spots. The main issue is one of them has to be starting goalie. The other positions are 4th liner, 6th defenseman, backup goalie, and extra's

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bill Armstrong should take his new found money and send a 6 year 7M AAV or 5 year 8M AAV offer sheet to Byfield.
A 1st, 2nd, 3rd in 2025. LA might match but it would hurt a team you are going to be competing with for a playoff spot next year.

What do you do Kings Fans ?
This is actually very smart by Utah. Assuming Armstrong is allowed to spend he sure is in a cool position to make things happen.

Reactions: GCK

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Assuming Byfield got that 8 mil AAV offer sheet, Kings would still have close to 14 million in cap space. Most of the RFAs wouldn't be in line for huge raises. They might not be able to re-sign Arvidsson/Roy but that might have been the plan anyways. Maybe puts the Kings in a tougher spot to get a name brand starting goalie.

Byfield(8)-Kopitar(7)-Kempe(5.5)
Fiala (7.875)-Dubois (8.5)-tbd
Moore(4.25)-Danault(5.5)-Laferriere(.875)
tbd-Lizotte(RFA)-Kaliyev(RFA)
Turcotte(RFA)-Thomas(RFA)

Anderson(4.125)-Doughty(11)
Gavrikov(5.875)-Clarke(.863)
Englund(1)-Spence(RFA)
Moverare(.775)

tbd-tbd

Richards buyout + Provorov retention: 2.725
current total ~73.863 million
There is also 1.8 mill in overage bonuses for Byfield ELC bonuses and Talbot performance bonus.

But it's irrelevant. In a cap crunch it means you're stuck with tougher decisions on the lower guys and may take a hit there. Byfield is LAKs most valuable asset. I'd trade Fiala for future considerations before I let Byfield go if I'm LAK

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
(Remember, the player has to sign the offersheet too. A playoff team in LA is probably more appealing than most of the teams with the cap space to make a reasonable offer sheet happen)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
BTW, it's a common misconception that teams send offer sheets to players hoping they'll sign.

Teams discuss prospective contracts with the RFAs and only write up an Offer Sheet after the player has already agreed to the contract terms.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
The next thing that needs to be amended is the offer sheet compensation. I get it the whole system is meant to deter them but 2 firsts for a dude u ain't paying is just comical and always a non starter for teams.

Reactions: captainpaxil

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
It would be more fun if it was used more often. There are some specific situational targets this off season I think where you could really put a team in a tough spot.

Colorado with Mittlestadt
Dallas with Harley
Carolina with Necas and Jarvis
Toronto with Robertson
I'd honestly hope Kent Hughes would be all over an OS to Jarvis if the Canes sign Guentzel. They would be strapped and I think 8.5x5 would be very hard for them to match and field a decent depth roster.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The next thing that needs to be amended is the offer sheet compensation. I get it the whole system is meant to deter them but 2 firsts for a dude u ain't paying is just comical and always a non starter for teams.

Counter argument would be that the offer sheet system is working quite well in achieving its primary objective—increasing compensation for RFAs.

Younger talented players are scoring much better RFA contracts in both AAV and term than would have happened a decade ago. The primary objective of the Offer Sheet system isn’t to increase the movement of RFAs to new teams. The primary objective is to increase the leverage RFAs have when negotiating new contracts with their current team.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
LA needs to build around Byfield, he's going to become the face of the franchise once Kopitar and Doughty fade into the background. I think the kid is going to become a stud.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
The thing that scares me is if/when L.A gets bounced out of the playoffs. If it is like I suspect and in the first round then I think ownership gets rid of Blake and hopefully Luc. God help us Kings fans that Bergevin is not the replacement.

If Blake is fired then it will take time to find a new G.M and the Byfield re-signing may get pushed deeper into the summer allowing teams more of a chance to offer sheet him. New GM would have to worry about coaching staff, the draft, what to do with PLD and the free agents.

L.A is usually very tight lipped and I have not heard anything about them even talking to Byfield's camp at this point. Hopefully they have and they know the parameters of what a new deal will look like. Byfield should be the #1 priority no matter what.

As for options to save money Lizotte and Grundstrum play a 4th line role and make 3 mil combined. I am all for letting some of the youth start taking over these spots. We have guys like Thomas, and Turcotte that need spots for 1/2 to 2/3rd's the price.

Roy is awesome but we need Clark's offence. at a 2 mil a year saving.

Still it will depend on Byfield and a goalie and the cost to acquire that goalie. Just hope a trade with Boston for Ullmark is re-visited. An Ullmark and a re-signed and rested Talbot would be a great combo. Especially if Talbot takes the same contract as this year and defers bonuses to 2026

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Counter argument would be that the offer sheet system is working quite well in achieving its primary objective—increasing compensation for RFAs.

Younger talented players are scoring much better RFA contracts in both AAV and term than would have happened a decade ago. The primary objective of the Offer Sheet system isn’t to increase the movement of RFAs to new teams. The primary objective is to increase the leverage RFAs have when negotiating new contracts with their current team.
But is it really having that effect if the compensation potentially being given up scaring teams from making competitive offers to RFAs in the first place? I'm not sure the offer sheet system is really helping drive those AAVs up as much as the league just generally going younger than they were a decade ago

The thing that scares me is if/when L.A gets bounced out of the playoffs. If it is like I suspect and in the first round then I think ownership gets rid of Blake and hopefully Luc. God help us Kings fans that Bergevin is not the replacement.

If Blake is fired then it will take time to find a new G.M and the Byfield re-signing may get pushed deeper into the summer allowing teams more of a chance to offer sheet him. New GM would have to worry about coaching staff, the draft, what to do with PLD and the free agents.

L.A is usually very tight lipped and I have not heard anything about them even talking to Byfield's camp at this point. Hopefully they have and they know the parameters of what a new deal will look like. Byfield should be the #1 priority no matter what.

As for options to save money Lizotte and Grundstrum play a 4th line role and make 3 mil combined. I am all for letting some of the youth start taking over these spots. We have guys like Thomas, and Turcotte that need spots for 1/2 to 2/3rd's the price.

Roy is awesome but we need Clark's offence. at a 2 mil a year saving.

Still it will depend on Byfield and a goalie and the cost to acquire that goalie. Just hope a trade with Boston for Ullmark is re-visited. An Ullmark and a re-signed and rested Talbot would be a great combo. Especially if Talbot takes the same contract as this year and defers bonuses to 2026
Forget a PLD buyout, he'll find a way to give him more money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad