Proposal: Offer sheet Byfield

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bill Armstrong should take his new found money and send a 6 year 7M AAV or 5 year 8M AAV offer sheet to Byfield.
A 1st, 2nd, 3rd in 2025. LA might match but it would hurt a team you are going to be competing with for a playoff spot next year.

What do you do Kings Fans ?

Reactions: bert

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bill Armstrong should take his new found money and send a 6 year 7M AAV or 5 year 8M AAV offer sheet to Byfield.
A 1st, 2nd, 3rd in 2025. LA might match but it would hurt a team you are going to be competing with for a playoff spot next year.

What do you do Kings Fans ?
It would be matched in a second and the Kings would thank you for it. If you want it to take a moment for them to match at least make the number start with a 9.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That seems like an easy match for the Kings. They might be annoyed by a shorter term.

Regarding offer sheets, one thing that gets assumed is that the player would absolutely sign one. Unless the Kings were badly low balling Byfield, I'm not sure he'd be in a rush to bail on LA. We've heard of players being approached before but politely declining. If I recall correctly, Columbus approached Mitch Marner who said no but probably used it as leverage. Montreal talked to Brayden Point before pivoting to Sebastian Aho who was willing to sign.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Wouldn't a 5x8.5M OS leave LA with like 14M to sign/resign 10 players? That'd be kinda tight.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It would be matched in a second and the Kings would thank you for it. If you want it to take a moment for them to match at least make the number start with a 9.
Let’s goo 8.5M x 5 years. I want the offer sheet back in play.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not a fan of either team. I just want GMs to use the tool.
It would be more fun if it was used more often. There are some specific situational targets this off season I think where you could really put a team in a tough spot.

Colorado with Mittlestadt
Dallas with Harley
Carolina with Necas and Jarvis
Toronto with Robertson

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not a fan of either team. I just want GMs to use the tool.

It's just tough with the parameters. I think some fans have a misplaced sense that a team outsmarted the other team by using the offer sheet.

Some factors:

- The original team has a week to match and will typically take the entire period to keep the other team's cap space hostage. Maybe not a big a factor hypothetically for Utah, but for most teams they wouldn't want to be in limbo during the opening days of free agency and miss out on signing UFAs.

- The player doesn't have to sign if presented with an offer sheet. I feel like this gets overlooked. Most players would be happy to use a potential offer sheet as leverage without having to sign.

- How many teams have the cap space and required draft picks? Typically the ones that do are the rebuilding clubs who might want to be risking an unprotected first rounder.

- Why not just work out a trade instead like Calgary/Boston did with Dougie Hamilton?

- Threats of payback or hard feelings. Carolina went out of its ways to do a revenge offer sheet on Jesperi Kotkaniemi after Montreal tried to sign Sebastian Aho. St. Louis did something similar with Steve Bernier after Vancouver signed David Backes to an offer sheet.

Nashville had to match a fronloaded offer sheet on Shea Weber in 2012. At later point, Philadelphia was looking to dump Vinny Lecavalier's contract and they had something in place with Nashville. But when Preds GM David Poile brought it to ownership for approval, the owner didn't want to bail out a team that had forced him to pay 27 million to Weber over the first 12 months of that deal.

One cautionary offer sheet story that seemingly gets forgotten. In 2008 Tampa got new owners and wanted to clean house on their roster. They just drafted Steven Stamkos and thought Dan Boyle was too old, so they wanted a young D to grow with Stamkos.

The guy they identified? Andrej Meszaros.

Meszaros was an RFA who had a productive three years in Ottawa. Tampa Bay wanted to offer sheet him but they had managed to trade away one of the required draft picks (and were unsuccessful in getting it back). Ottawa was in a cap crunch so the standstill lasted until late August.

Ottawa thought its window was still open so they didn't want just draft picks in return. In the end they dealt Meszaros to Tampa for veteran D Filip Kuba and San Jose's 1st rounder.

But in a world where Tampa had offer sheeted Meszaros, they would have had to give their own 2009 1st rounder in return. That pick ended up being Victor Hedman. That might have been an all time misstep with Meszaros not really panning out like they had hoped.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What are LA Fans thoughts on Byfield's RFA contract? Is LA pushing for a lower caphit bridge contract?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
What are LA Fans thoughts on Byfield's RFA contract? Is LA pushing for a lower caphit bridge contract?
They absolutely should, as it benefits both sides very well,

Q gets a chance to secure the bag on his 3rd contract, and the Kings save some cap space now. It makes sense to me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Here I would have thought that Montreal and Carolina between the two of them gave a very effective demonstration of both sides of why actually signing offer sheets is a complete waste of time. Either you help your opposition score a team-friendly deal and are mocked for it (Montreal to Carolina, Aho) or you grossly overpay a guy way too soon and are mocked for it (Carolina to Montreal, Kotkaneimi).

They're a negotiating tool for agents, not something for fans.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As a Kings fan who thinks we’re close to another rebuild once Kopitar leaves, I am cool with a fat offer sheet return for Byfield.

Reactions: randywoodsghost

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rs can gamble max 7 yrs @10per
move trouba's retained to 6.5, Goodrow retained to 2.0, and deal Lindgren

but to no avail, LA can also shed $, match close enuf at min, then even offer extra yr

around the corner, Rs will not offer bread anywhere near 11.6
so it is possible NY may get more cap to work w/then, not likely a huge amount before.
But then you have to pause and ask how much do you want to gamble on Byfield?
10 is even too much, but ok....
he's not worth McDavid etc level $$$ -- not now/anytime soon

• Haha
Reactions: randywoodsghost

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What does LA do after to shed salary to sign the other 10 players? Buyout PLD?

Assuming Byfield got that 8 mil AAV offer sheet, Kings would still have close to 14 million in cap space. Most of the RFAs wouldn't be in line for huge raises. They might not be able to re-sign Arvidsson/Roy but that might have been the plan anyways. Maybe puts the Kings in a tougher spot to get a name brand starting goalie.

Byfield(8)-Kopitar(7)-Kempe(5.5)
Fiala (7.875)-Dubois (8.5)-tbd
Moore(4.25)-Danault(5.5)-Laferriere(.875)
tbd-Lizotte(RFA)-Kaliyev(RFA)
Turcotte(RFA)-Thomas(RFA)

Anderson(4.125)-Doughty(11)
Gavrikov(5.875)-Clarke(.863)
Englund(1)-Spence(RFA)
Moverare(.775)

tbd-tbd

Richards buyout + Provorov retention: 2.725
current total ~73.863 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad