Offensive Woes

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
So Plekanec, Subban and Pacioretty are on pace for 58 points, Galchenyuk 47 points, Pacioretty for 34 goals, thats not good enough. Is it the system or the players? To get anywhere in the playoffs I'm definitely thinking we need more offense as Price is unlikely to bail us out for 3 or 4 series in a row. Rumour is we are looking for more offense, Can't say I disagree, going to have to give up something good to get something good in return. Untouchables are Price, PK, Gally, Sekac, everyone else is fair game in my opinion. Thoughts?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
So Plekanec, Subban and Pacioretty are on pace for 58 points, Galchenyuk 47 points, Pacioretty for 34 goals, thats not good enough. Is it the system or the players? To get anywhere in the playoffs I'm definitely thinking we need more offense as Price is unlikely to bail us out for 3 or 4 series in a row. Rumour is we are looking for more offense, Can't say I disagree, going to have to give up something good to get something good in return. Untouchables are Price, PK, Gally, Sekac, everyone else is fair game in my opinion. Thoughts?

Be prepared for bruising....

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I'd say you're wallowing alone in your misery. The Habs have plenty of offense, although of course they could use more. The Bruins are in worse shape. I wouldn't be in a hurry to make trades. The one for Vanek was all right but not a glorious success. Most of Bergevin's trades weren't as spectacular but they served to improve the team. at various positions.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The lines are fixed at least. I'd like to see MT allow our blueliners to carry the puck more (though it's probably asking too much) as that would help. Anyways, just be happy we've got Galchenyuk at 1st line center. Hopefully it helps somewhat anyway.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
New lines, not sure if that is going to make a difference, hope it does. Its not like there has been consistent lines all year, they are always changing, in 2 weeks they may be rearranged again, what happens when Eller comes back, does DD go back to the first line? Its not the lines, its the talent.

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
New lines, not sure if that is going to make a difference, hope it does. Its not like there has been consistent lines all year, they are always changing, in 2 weeks they may be rearranged again, what happens when Eller comes back, does DD go back to the first line? Its not the lines, its the talent.

I'd argue it's not the talent, it's the system and low risk tolerance of the teams coaching staff. Also if our pp was respectable..average even, our offense wouldn't be a problem. Top 10 team in 5vs5 GF/A..bottom 10 team on PP. The talent is there. We have solid PP options just no system.

As for risk tolerance..they could always loosen the reins a bit on our D to try and drive more offense but the team seems very content to play tight checking close games. Nobody is winning the scoring title in our system.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Why, no one can deny we need more offense. You build your team on a elite center, an elite goalie and an elite dman. So why isn't anyone else expendable?

At the right price, possibly everyone is expendable. Even that is debatable.

It's your list of untouchables that will garner debate.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not sure what you're talking about, we have 3 1st line centers as is without counting DD!

Just kidding but habs haven't had a top offensive talent up front in years. Max is the only one. The team transformed with Vanek and it's painfully obvious our RW situation is not a long term solution. We need 1st line talent at RW and when we do we'll get better.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
In the new lines era this is the stat:

Montreal Canadiens goals for: 9
Montreal Canadiens goals against: 3

Record: 2-0-0
Opponents: Los Angeles Kings & Vancouver Canucks

I'd say that's some pretty good secondary scoring with our 1st line only scoring 2/9 goals in the 2 games, just wait until they start potting the puck, they've created tons of chances but have been unlucky.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
I'd argue it's not the talent, it's the system and low risk tolerance of the teams coaching staff. Also if our pp was respectable..average even, our offense wouldn't be a problem. Top 10 team in 5vs5 GF/A..bottom 10 team on PP. The talent is there. We have solid PP options just no system.

As for risk tolerance..they could always loosen the reins a bit on our D to try and drive more offense but the team seems very content to play tight checking close games. Nobody is winning the scoring title in our system.

The Habs are currently sitting:

22nd in GF%.

19th in SF%

Therrien's strategy of dump-and-chase is a big reason for the pathetic SF% and GF%. O-zone entries with possession produce over 2 times as many shots and 2 times as many goals as dump-ins. As an NHL coach, Therrien should know that. If he doesn't, he should be fired.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Habs are currently sitting:

22nd in GF%.

19th in SF%

Therrien's strategy of dump-and-chase is a big reason for the pathetic SF% and GF%. O-zone entries with possession produce over 2 times as many shots and 2 times as many goals as dump-ins. As an NHL coach, Therrien should know that. If he doesn't, he should be fired.

This. if you want to score more, you've got to shoot more. If you want to shoot more, you need to control the puck more. If you want to control the puck more, stop dumping the puck in.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think with the new lines that it's a matter of time before Pacioretty-Galchenyuk gel and start putting up some points.

Wouldn't be surprised if they change their numbers to a 70 pt and 60 pt pace.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
We for starters need to play with the puck more. Better transition and most of all, getting out of our zone with more structure.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE

I agree to some extent, but think of it another way. to have 4 players potentially getting 60 points with a couple others getting 50 is pretty good balanced scoring. Which is important for a team that is not known for their size. We have gone thru periods of pathetic scoring droughts but I do believe its transition and should be fined tune by years end. The transition of Chucky to 1st line center is huge. The transition of Sekac playing regular minutes is huge.
The other denominator is of course our poor PP first part of the season. If we get that ticking we will start to look a lot better offensively. Personally I think MB should stay put for awhile....our last slump occurred right after all those changes to the back end occurred and too many changes thru out the year I think can really mess with team chemistry. MT has to utilize his players with the most talent in the top 6 and PP, period. If he can't figure out who those players are then god help us.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

Lol, I love it on these boards, when people be like, we need goal scoring, TRADE PACIORETTY!

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
In the new lines era this is the stat:

Montreal Canadiens goals for: 9
Montreal Canadiens goals against: 3

Record: 2-0-0
Opponents: Los Angeles Kings & Vancouver Canucks

I'd say that's some pretty good secondary scoring with our 1st line only scoring 2/9 goals in the 2 games, just wait until they start potting the puck, they've created tons of chances but have been unlucky.

Correction: 10 goals for, 4 goals against. The lines changed before the third period against the Stars. The goal against was an empty netter though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad