Werenski-Boqvist
Gavrikov-Peeke
Bean-Gudbranson

Oops forgot Roslovic….

13-42-29
38-96-14
13-34-93
50-52-86

Forward depth is still pretty solid without OB. Would still like to upgrade on D and find a suitable partner for Werenski.

Chinakhov59

Jan 26, 2020
Gaudreau Sillinger Laine
Nyquist Jenner Voracek
Johnson Roslovic Texier
Robinson Kuraly Marchenko

Werenski Peeke
Gavrikov Blankenberg
Gubrandson Boquist

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
These lines are to start the season, we know they wont last but this is what I am expecting / hoping for.

OFFENSE

Gaudreau - Texier / KJ - Laine

I think the potential of either of these lines is skyhigh, if Texier is the one to start here, he provides the grit and phyiscal play to retrieve pucks in the corners do the dirty work. If its KJ its because of his high end skill coming through, his vision and abilities with the puck might actually be a little redundant here, but man could it be exciting

Jenner / Tex / KJ - Sillinger - Voracek

A combination of skill and grit. Jenner is the one to do the dirty work on this line, while Voracek has the ability to setup both Jenner and Silly. Voracek and Jenner are both the perfect mentors for Sillinger and allows him to really learn under two great leaders with different personalities. I could also see whichever of Tex or KJ not on the first line ending up on the wing here. In which case I could see Jenner getting moved down to center the 3rd line.

Nyquist - Roslovic / Jenner - Marchenko / Foudy / Bemstrom

Nyquist provides a good veteran presence on a line of younger kids. Roslovic is the biggest question on the entire roster for me, which kid do we see next season? The kid that disappears and doesnt make much of an impact, or the kid that we saw over the course of the last 60 days? He honestly could play on any of the top 3 lines and it wouldnt surprise me. Marchenko / Foudy /Bemstrom gets a chance in the top 9, injuries and poor play means that there could be an possibility to secure a higher spot in the line-up but will he be ready to seize it? If Jenner get sent down to the 3rd line, Marchenko / Foudy / Bemstrom likely gets pushed to the 4th. With Ros and Nyquist playing the wings on the 3rd.

Robinson - Kuraly - Marchenko / Foudy / Bemstrom

This could be a great energy line with a sneaky ability to put up some points. I dont expect many points from Kuraly, but Robinson can stretch the ice with his speed and when combined with the potential of Marchenko / Foudy / Bemstrom, I think with any one of them in that slot theres the possibility to keep the pressure up and really allow Lars to roll 3 or 4 lines.

Obviously we have too many players. As I was writing out lines I kept realizing I was forgetting someone (and probably still am) I dont think anyone under the age of 24 has a spot cemented in the roster. I think Sillinger has a spot thats his to lose if he doesnt bring 100% at camp(not that I think its likely). But Marchenko / Foudy and Bemstrom will be competing for ice time until someone pulls away from the others.

Then again there's always the (extremely) remote possibility that Jarmo starts the season with all of the kids down in Cleveland to develop them similar to Bjorkstrand / Anderson / Werenski and some of the others. Keep Gaunce, TFW and some of the others up while the kids get top minutes in Cleveland until they are absolutely needed.

DEFENSE

Werenski - Blankenberg

This only happens if Blanky comes into camp looking like he did at the end of the season. If so, he should be a perfect complimentary piece next to Z.

Gavrikov - Boqvist

Hopefully Boqvist puts on that extra muscle and is a little bit tougher to play against this season. If Gavrikov can take another step towards being a more consistent shutdown type defender, this could allow Boqvist to really attack more and be another offensive threat on the ice that opposing teams will have to consider when hes out there.

Bean / Gudbranson / Peeke

Honestly, I am not sure how this bottom pairing will turn out. Peeke more than likely will be an constant on this pairing, but I get the feeling that we could cycle Bean / Gudbranson depending on who we are playing and whether we need a more physical presence or a offensive minded player to push play up the ice. For opening night, I would guess Gudbranson.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The reason why I think Jenner is the obvious #1 center is because of faceoffs and ability to play on boards. He also goes to the net while the two puck magicians can work
I think you get around that by playing the matchup game and really the only way for players to get better, is to take more faceoffs.

My lines for example, defensively you're likely throwing 2 / 3 / 4. Offensively 1 / 2 / 3

You can also throw a guy out there for faceoff and get KJ or whoever back out there if its a big time faceoff. Or if Jenner or someone more capable if on the PP line, have him take the faceoff and then just take the winger spot after.

One thing I know for sure, is that we can write up new lines until the start of the season(and we will) but the players will determine the lineups in camp. It wouldnt be the first time we have seen a big surprise out of camp (Jenner 1st LW out of camp)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think you get around that by playing the matchup game and really the only way for players to get better, is to take more faceoffs.

My lines for example, defensively you're likely throwing 2 / 3 / 4. Offensively 1 / 2 / 3

You can also throw a guy out there for faceoff and get KJ or whoever back out there if its a big time faceoff. Or if Jenner or someone more capable if on the PP line, have him take the faceoff and then just take the winger spot after.

One thing I know for sure, is that we can write up new lines until the start of the season(and we will) but the players will determine the lineups in camp. It wouldnt be the first time we have seen a big surprise out of camp (Jenner 1st LW out of camp)

5v5 I don't think you want to have a guy out there just for a draw and hop off. But you might see Lars try and ease KJ (or Sillinger or Texier) into center duties on the top line by putting them out there on on the fly starts and putting Jenner out there for faceoff starts. I can't remember the proportions but something like half of shifts start on the fly.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
5v5 I don't think you want to have a guy out there just for a draw and hop off. But you might see Lars try and ease KJ (or Sillinger or Texier) into center duties on the top line by putting them out there on on the fly starts and putting Jenner out there for faceoff starts. I can't remember the proportions but something like half of shifts start on the fly.
I feel like Torts used to do that with Dubinsky, but that mightve just been on the PP.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like Torts used to do that with Dubinsky, but that mightve just been on the PP.

I think Torts did that 5v5 too (draws and hop off) if he had a line he didn't trust. But I don't see Lars doing that with a topline at 5v5, it's too disruptive to have a guy change early.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Laine and Gaudreau play on two different lines and the team should two strong ones. For example:

Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine
Excellent chemistry, excellent in offense, good in defense. It would play against the best lines.
Gaudreau -- Sillinger -- Chinakhov
34 and 59 played very good with 93, now they would play with 13. Yegor would play on his strong side and his shoot would be used better. As the econd line, they wouldn't be playing against the opponent's best line, which could help the young guys.
Texier -- Roslovic -- Voracek
Roslovic has very good chemistry with Voracek and with Texier it would be better in forchecking, 96 would help with creativity. Besides, Jakub isn't a small boy, he can play good around the boards too.
Robinson -- Kuraly -- Foudy
Agressive, speed line.

Johnson and Marchenko would start in AHL. Bemstrom isn't signed yet.

I know a lot of you would like to watch them here. But they aren't Sillinger who was a center, also he was strong in 18 years. Besides if we want so Kent will play center in the future, he must learn it and not play wing.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think Torts did that 5v5 too (draws and hop off) if he had a line he didn't trust. But I don't see Lars doing that with a topline at 5v5, it's too disruptive to have a guy change early.
Thats fair. And as much as it would be nice to see a guy like KJ on the first line, the only way its even possible is if he just blows everyone away at camp, which in reality isnt very likely. He could have a really good camp and still end up on the 3rd line or cleveland, especially to start the season.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Averaged the third most ice time among defenseman last year and only added Gubranson. Coaches seem to disagree as far as his ability.

Maybe Torts was f***ing RIGHT about Peeke!!

I’d rather Peeke “not develop” than the team allow 400 goals again next year.

The way Larsen praised Danforth in this interview, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the opening night line-up. Can't bother to search for the timestamp, but it's a great interview overall.

Where are the questions and answers regarding the choice of Hoffmann over Danforth for the majority of the year??

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Averaged the third most ice time among defenseman last year and only added Gubranson. Coaches seem to disagree as far as his ability.
Injuries to Bean and Boqvist have helped Peeke. Otherwise, he wouldn't have played higher third pairs. Unless he gets stronger at the very least, max seventh defenseman. Because it was desperation to watch him and Gavrikov play around the boards, in front of net against players who can play hard. Bean and Boqvist's problem has been strength, Boqvist needs to learn to play defense. But both have very good hockey IQ, skill... .

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
He’s just not good. People love “physical play” and “good PKers”

The Coaches had many questionable decisions last year. He goes from the press box to top pairing after 1 year in the NHL?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not ready for lines because we have too many forwards and not enough improvement on defense.
I think another trade is coming. We're salary cap compliant, but we have too many forwards.

We have 16 (by my calculations) forwards who are battling for 12/13/14 spots. That's not even including Gaunce, who they liked enough to give an extension to.

Would they waive Olivier directly after trading for him? I would think so, but they do need his physicality.

Is it Bemstrom? He's still an RFA. Not sure we have room for him.

Are Chinakhov and/or Marchenko willing to play in the AHL? They better be or things get even tighter.

Is Texier going to play? Everyone is saying the right things but until I hear from him its hard to trust.

What to do with Foudy, who is waiver eligible (I think)? they obviously see a future in him or they wouldn't have given him a one way deal.

Maybe a package of a forward in our bottom 6/prospect + a Dman (Bean or Peeke) for a defensive upgrade.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s just not good. People love “physical play” and “good PKers”

The Coaches had many questionable decisions last year. He goes from the press box to top pairing after 1 year in the NHL?

Peeke is obviously not a top pair D but neither are Bean or Boqvist. Just a bunch of kids thrown in the fire.

If you look at the relative xGA stats, Peeke actually looks really good. For a guy pressed into shutdown roles he did well with that one thing. He is actually objectively good at defense. It's his inability to move the puck and make good outlet passes that really puts a drag on the offense. That's why his xG% overall isn't good. Very low event player.

If he can improve his puck moving to even an average level then I think he would be a very valuable player.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe a package of a forward in our bottom 6/prospect + a Dman (Bean or Peeke) for a defensive upgrade.
Makes sense to me. Definitely too many forwards and D is not strong. I don't see Peeke bringing much so probably Bean. If/when we sign Bemstrom I'd vote to try to move him. Foudy could also go because he'll most likely be claimed if he is subjected to waivers to go to Cleveland.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Don’t really have an explanation as an outsider but this is my Columbus’ 23 man lineup with Blue Jacket captains included.

Line 1 LW Gaudreau C Sillinger RW Laine
Line 2 LW Texier C Roslovic RW Voracek
Line 3 LW Johnson C Jenner RW Nyquist
Line 4 LW Robinson C Kuraly RW Danforth

1st Pair LD Werenski RD Boqvist
2nd Pair LD Gavrikov RD Gudbranson
3rd Pair LD Bean RD Peeke

Goalies:
Starter: Merzlikins
Backup: Korpisalo

Scratches:
RW Chinakhov
RW Bemstrom
LD Bayreuther

Captain: Boone Jenner
Alternate Captain: Zach Werenski
Alternate Captain: Gustav Nyquist

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So hard to speculate at this point.. are we focusing on opening night , or thru out the season ? Will Texier be back ? Jarmo made a comment how he was best forward before he left, they hoped he was doing better now , and they expect him to be ready for camp and are checking in on him quite a bit …

Can Gaudreau play RW… patty said yesterday he prefers LW, most of his big one times come from Ovies office .

People here are sleeping on Marchenko.. I expect him to immediate be in our top 6 , and between him and Chinakov , why Jarmo moved Bjork.

Will KJ start the season at wing or center ? He’s a lock for this roster .

I expect Chinakov and Foudy in the lineup

Danforth gets traded to a team needing bottom 6 help

Nyquist could be moved prior to the season after other teams make their moves this off-season , most likely though hes kept to see how Chinakov , Marchenko perform in camp.. they still need to earn it… and the wild card - does another team lose a key guy in camp ?

Ive heard some say Foudy is waiver except in yr 1 , but not yr 2 ? Imagine a 4Th line of Foudy Kuraly Robinson ?

For me.. I need to see how camp shakes out before spit balling lines … Going To be an exciting team to watch ..

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad