Offense or Defense

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Last season the Bruins ranked third place in goals for and second place in goals allowed. The team was very effective in both ends of the ice, and I doubt that level of excellence will be repeated this season.

In the offseason, we lost a big part of our offense with Iginila and a big part of our defense with Boychuck. Our only real acquisition to counter these losses came in the form of 2 draft picks. Clearly these will have no impact on the Bruins this season.

Taking into account our draft picks, depth at center, and proven talent in the AHL we likely have the ability to acquire a top 4 D or a quality wing. I think it's realistic to say we could only afford a quality D or a quality guy on offense. Which do we need more?

I'm tempted to say we need more point production out of our top line, but we're supposed to be a defensive powerhouse and right now we don't even have a full top 4.

Agh, with Manchuck this wasn't an issue. What a frustrating predicament.

LFG19

Apr 27, 2014
Of the possible RW who are we likely (or keen) to see traded here.
I would think an UFA could work somewhere along the season (deadline or not).
Here's a list of some potential RW UFAs (slim pickings).
Jiri Tlusty
Michael Ryder
Drew Stafford
Joel Ward
Scottie Upshall
Michael Frolik
Chris Stewart

Id much rather get one of the ANA prospects:
Palmieri
Etem
DSP
Silfverberg

If only we still had a top 4 RHD to trade to them.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I picked offense......they need a right handed NHL caliber player to run with Krejci and Lucic more than they need to replace Boychuk. Of course I don't think they can do much in the playoffs without adding offense and defense but I tried to pick one.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Jiri Tlusty
Michael Ryder
Drew Stafford
Joel Ward
Scottie Upshall
Michael Frolik
Chris Stewart

Palmieri
Etem
DSP
Silfverberg

Stafford and Stewart will probably be available at the deadline, obviously very early but the Sabres look like they are determined to get McDavid.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Jiri Tlusty
Michael Ryder
Drew Stafford
Joel Ward
Scottie Upshall
Michael Frolik
Chris Stewart

Palmieri
Etem
DSP
Silfverberg

Yeah, the Boychuck situation has changed the outlook of this season more than I'd have thought prior to it happening. Palmieri would be a good addition, but I'm afraid to think about what he'd warrant in return. All I can say is thank god we're as deep as we are at center.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Last season the Bruins ranked third place in goals for and second place in goals allowed. The team was very effective in both ends of the ice, and I doubt that level of excellence will be repeated this season.

In the offseason, we lost a big part of our offense with Iginila and a big part of our defense with Boychuck. Our only real acquisition to counter these losses came in the form of 2 draft picks. Clearly these will have no impact on the Bruins this season.

Taking into account our draft picks, depth at center, and proven talent in the AHL we likely have the ability to acquire a top 4 D or a quality wing. I think it's realistic to say we could only afford a quality D or a quality guy on offense. Which do we need more?

I'm tempted to say we need more point production out of our top line, but we're supposed to be a defensive powerhouse and right now we don't even have a full top 4.

Agh, with Manchuck this wasn't an issue. What a frustrating predicament.

It will likely be forward help, negated by D deficiency after the Boychuck deal. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. And then robbing Paul to pay...? I've had faith in this management group, but it's been shaken.

It seems like skin of the teeth/hope everything goes right on D, and deal for forward help. More and more agitated, so forgive, but this is pooh. "I hope I'm wrong..." :shakehead:(

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
It will likely be forward help, negated by D deficiency after the Boychuck deal. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. And then robbing Paul to pay...? I've had faith in this management group, but it's been shaken.

It seems like skin of the teeth/hope everything goes right on D, and deal for forward help. More and more agitated, so forgive, but this is pooh. "I hope I'm wrong..." :shakehead:(

I hear you 100%. I'm wondering if perhaps the organization determined that with Chara's age, last year was the year to take a risk. It's a bummer to think we're not as good as last year, but our plethora of young talent is fairly impressive. PC and Claude may be looking towards the long-term, which I agree with but still... I miss Johnny :shakehead

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Sums it up for me as well.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I hear you 100%. I'm wondering if perhaps the organization determined that with Chara's age, last year was the year to take a risk. It's a bummer to think we're not as good as last year, but our plethora of young talent is fairly impressive. PC and Claude may be looking towards the long-term, which I agree with but still... I miss Johnny :shakehead

INE (I'm No Expert), but... I think management sees another year or two with Chara at the helm. I can almost guarantee that however in sync CJ & PC are, the former wants to win now, this season, because his job depends upon it.

It's stupid but I miss JB55, too. Seeing him do so well, so soon hurt. Surreal.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jiri Tlusty
Michael Ryder
Drew Stafford
Joel Ward
Scottie Upshall
Michael Frolik
Chris Stewart

Palmieri
Etem
DSP
Silfverberg

If one of the Anaheim RW prospects was available for Boychuk, and it was one Boston like, then I have no doubt that the deal would have been made.

All indications are NYI had the best offer on the table, Edmonton, and maybe others were given the chance to top that offer, and they didn't

Boston will almost certainly need to get a RW at some point this year. Chiarelli's actions make it clear he sees the need.

I have absolutely no concerns about the defense.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
There are two slots to fill:
Offense: a RW for Krejci; and
Defense: a second pairing defenseman.

Can't win filling only one of those holes.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Could use both, but can't afford either. :naughty:

I said offense because they can make due with the guys they have on the back end, even if it's a drop off from last year.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think a top-line wing is more important right now, although obviously the top 4 could use a huge upgrade on D. If you add one player that doesn't look out of place beside Krejci like Stewart or something, this team's offense looks very different.

Lucic-Krejci-Stewart
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Gagne-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly/Campbell/Robins/Fraser/whoever

I would still give Bart some time to see if he can progress enough to hold down that #4 spot, although we most likely need to do something to upgrade there as well.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Our defense, while not good, is passable particularly with Tuukka in net. Except for the atrocity that was the Capitals game, we haven't been giving up a ton of goals or shots. We should be winning games when there's only 1 or 2 GA.

If the defense can keep getting by and Tuukka can keep standing on his head, an offensive RW could fix our biggest problem and get us some Ws. It's not a great recipe for success, but it's what we have to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad