OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So after learning about power cakes from @Volica in some random game day thread, I would also like to give a shout out to Halo Top ice cream. That shit is delicious and practically a health food.

I also won’t be able to go with the ring as a fitness tracker. Was thinking about it and while I definitely appreciate the minimalistic design concept, I realized I take my wedding ring off to lift weights - kind of counter productive for a fitness tracker.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah, I dont think Oura is the best fitness tracker and I definitely would not use this if I was doing weight lifting.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A really easy way to make good ice cream that’s healthy (and vegan if you have dietary limitations) is to use coconut milk. Mix in some maple syrup and some berries or peanut butter. Put it in the freezer and give it a stir every 15 minutes or so. It’s also really cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So after learning about power cakes from @Volica in some random game day thread, I would also like to give a shout out to Halo Top ice cream. That shit is delicious and practically a health food.

I also won’t be able to go with the ring as a fitness tracker. Was thinking about it and while I definitely appreciate the minimalistic design concept, I realized I take my wedding ring off to lift weights - kind of counter productive for a fitness tracker.

Big Ups!

I learned from my personal experience is that I need to find substitutes for things I love, that I do far too often to ever maintain a good physique. Things such as pounding a bag of chips; if you gave me the opportunity I could literally do that every single night. But, if you start tracking Macro's, you find that eating even a quarter bag of chips a day is something your diet can't really handle for most people.

My substitute; the rice cracker chips. Yes, they're still not meant to be pounded a bag full at a time... but, if things spiral and you need that chip feeling, you don't have to feel guilty about eating the bag. You also shouldn't feel guilty about eating a bag of a chips... just that can't be a multiple-times-a-week occurrence lol. I know some people will be like "I eat a bag of cheetos a day," and I'll respond by saying I'm not 16 and that's something you won't want to be doing through your 20's and 30's.

Halo ice cream is amazing. If you can pound a full tub of Haagen Daz, this is a much better substitution, and it's delicious.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Big Ups!

I learned from my personal experience is that I need to find substitutes for things I love, that I do far too often to ever maintain a good physique. Things such as pounding a bag of chips; if you gave me the opportunity I could literally do that every single night. But, if you start tracking Macro's, you find that eating even a quarter bag of chips a day is something your diet can't really handle for most people.

My substitute; the rice cracker chips. Yes, they're still not meant to be pounded a bag full at a time... but, if things spiral and you need that chip feeling, you don't have to feel guilty about eating the bag. You also shouldn't feel guilty about eating a bag of a chips... just that can't be a multiple-times-a-week occurrence lol. I know some people will be like "I eat a bag of cheetos a day," and I'll respond by saying I'm not 16 and that's something you won't want to be doing through your 20's and 30's.

Halo ice cream is amazing. If you can pound a full tub of Haagen Daz, this is a much better substitution, and it's delicious.

If you do eat unhealthy, tell yourself it's hard work you banked before and not something you'll work off after. Honestly speaking, it's a minor difference but has huge implications. If you starve yourself and workout diligently, for the chance to eat like a pig, it's something to look forward to and you'll be more diligent. But if you are telling yourself you are working off something you were being bad on, you'll just keep accumulating.

Not to mention I found when it was time to binge, my portions started to get lower because it wasn't some forbidden fruit I was worried I'd never eat again. It was something I could plan around having in 1-2 weeks when it was time for a reward day (as opposed to "cheat day"). No one likes being cheated on, why the heck do so many people design health habits where they cheat on themselves? Everything in moderation.

Another HUGE difference you can make is portion control. No, not a dinky ass bowl of chips or whatever. But literally smaller portions per bite. This might sound stupid, but once upon a time, my wife and I were trying to lose weight for our wedding and we did something we called super tiny charcuterie. We would take the charcuterie board and slice everything to 1/4 to 1/5th of the size (between the size of a quarter or nickel). You'd still get a full mouthful of flavor if you chewed it properly rather than just inhale the food (thus delicious AF). But rather than the larger portions the average person calls "bite size" where we bite a few times then swallow before enjoying what we were eating. We were hilariously also slicing mini pickles into something like 8-12 slices. We're talking pickle sliced about the same size as a nickel. Still plenty of flavour in each bite, but the calories per slice were hilariously low.

Also, by doing so, we found we would over eat less as our body would give us a full/satisfied signal before we hit food coma mode etc. You end up eating your reward food like a normal person without over eating because you aren't going full on feast/famine for those types of food.

I'd do the same thing with beer. I'd use a nice crystal tumbler and pour 1/3 or 1/2 of the bottle/can into it and sip with while watching a game or something. I'd top up later on. It's another odd thing you teach yourself this way. The binge drinking culture we have makes us often chug the bottle to get to the next one once we get to about 1/3 to 1/4 left. By using the tumbler and getting used to not chugging if the volume got lower, because I knew I still had half a beer to top up my glass, I drank less. I also kinda got used to not having to finish full beers. If I didn't finish the half beer or whatever, I on occasion would consider cooking with it like putting it in sauce or water substitute or whatever. I guess this part is kinda a "cheat day" thing, but I found it more appropriate to do it this way long term than force myself to finish that beer at each sitting so I wouldn't waste it.

On top of the mini portions thing and the reward days, we would also allow ourselves healthy options along side our reward foods. Something we could use as a starter filler so that we could complete our meal in a satisfactory manner with our reward food like that extra calorie cherry on top of a sundae. My wife makes a super fantastic quinoa salad. I can eat that stuff like I eat junk food so I'd often ask her to make a huge batch and I'd eat that to pad my hunger pangs so that I could enjoy my reward food without still feeling hunger after that last bite.

If you can find a healthy substitute you like as much as the regular stuff, great! But if it's not the same thing, don't bullshit yourself. You'll know you're being messed with so you'll just stick it to the person messing with you. That's the vicious cycle many get stuck on.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm really of out shape, I mean really. Covid and all that has had some part at least. The office is only 5minute walk from where I live but I decided to sign 100% remote work contract for some flexibility.

But today I learned that the office building has a 24/7 free gym for all employees of the companies that have office there, so I asked my boss to get me an access to the building so I can start going to the gym after the whole covid thing eases up a bit here.

Work from home, go to the office for exercise :laugh:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Big Ups!

This is all so very true. I don't deny myself anything, but try to stick to a 90% rule instead of being perfect all the time. And when I do go off, really try to keep total calories under my calculated TDEE - I found a spreadsheet to do that - and even then only 90% of the time. That, and regular exercise (cardio after, not instead of, resistance training) and I'm down 60+ lbs since last March.

Really all about finding a system that works for you, and trusting that system.

Reactions: Volica

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm really of out shape, I mean really. Covid and all that has had some part at least. The office is only 5minute walk from where I live but I decided to sign 100% remote work contract for some flexibility.

But today I learned that the office building has a 24/7 free gym for all employees of the companies that have office there, so I asked my boss to get me an access to the building so I can start going to the gym after the whole covid thing eases up a bit here.

Work from home, go to the office for exercise :laugh:

You can do it brother.
Let me know if you want to do a workout plan with me! I’ve gone from Uber overweight to abs and everything in between lol!

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Lucked my way into a last minute booking today - first jab done!

You can barely feel the microchips
I got mine done a few weeks ago.

I'm lookin' good! My hair is coming back in!
iu

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I got mine today too

Just don't fall on your sidewalk and break your ribs first, they will be hesitant to give it to you because of breathing difficulties :help:

Yikes, hope that wasn’t too bad. I’ll be sure to be careful out there lol

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Got the vaccine guys. At least if we are eliminated tonight I did something today that can’t dampen my spirits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad