OT: Off Topic Thread: What Are You Watching? And Other Miscellaneous Things

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Just finished season 3 of What We Do In The Shadows. Not quite as good as S1 and S2, but hilarious nonetheless.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
What I’m NOT watching is Islanders hockey comfortably on the big screen… because ESPN stinks!

Finished and liked Ted Lasso.

Looking forward to Amazon Prime’s “Wheel of Time” series from the Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson books of the same name.

Hopefully the production quality will be as good as “Game of Thrones.” If so, it should do very well, as there is already a great ending to the books unlike “Song of fire and Ice.”

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
What's it like second time. I was invested the first time but felt robbed in the end!

I definitely think I enjoyed the first 2-3 seasons a lot more I'm realizing. The mysteries and twists that began into the 4th season and went on almost got annoying. I know it was a common complaint by people they never revealed enough, and maybe the first time I wasn't as irritated by it. This time though I can see why people stop part way through with too many questions and not enough answers.

The ending was definitely terrible, so I'm prepared for the bad ending again (I'm on season 5 right now). I can't say I'm not enjoying it, I think overall it's a good show and I'd even say I might watch it a 3rd time down the line. I think a lot of that is hoping to gain some more insight to the show and pick up things I may have missed.

I'm no TV or movie expert, but I really don't like shows ending being so ambiguous. Soprano's is one of my favorite shows ever, but the ending almost seemed insulting based on the investment you put in if that makes sense. Lost was the same. I know some people enjoy the ending where the viewer chooses or can imagine, but I'd rather have the show answer for me.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My Name - Korean drama may or may not be showing up on your Netflix. It's really good. Starting to realize I like Korean drama style more and more and their emphasis on fleshing out the story rather than so much time spent on character building. That's probably why most Korean dramas are one season.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Soprano's is one of my favorite shows ever, but the ending almost seemed insulting based on the investment you put in if that makes sense. Lost was the same. I know some people enjoy the ending where the viewer chooses or can imagine, but I'd rather have the show answer for me.

Although not clear cut, it definitely appears that Tony was killed by Members Only guy. Meadow would have been in the line of fire and MO guy would probably not have followed through, but her delay in successfully parking gave him the opening. In the previous episode, Tony tells Carm that she and the family are safe as hitmen won't mess with families. If she was seated in the booth, it would have made MO guy's line of sight too hazardous for the shot.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Very much enjoying "As Time Goes By", a Brit-com from the '90s starring Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer as lovers who meet again after 39 years.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I have been flying a lot recently, so I have taken to downloading and watching one-off episodes of TV shows, where the characters and plot revolve around a flight.

Anything and everything from standalone episodes of House, Bones, Castle on down to say Leverage, Supernatural, etc.

I guess I might be tempting fate and a dire outcome for myself, but they usually end well for MOST of the passengers (just not whoever is killed or gets sick), lol.

If anyone has any suggestions of TV shows where the plot points revolve around a flight, specifically solving a crime, please feel free to let me know.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I have been flying a lot recently, so I have taken to downloading and watching one-off episodes of TV shows, where the characters and plot revolve around a flight.

Anything and everything from standalone episodes of House, Bones, Castle on down to say Leverage, Supernatural, etc.

I guess I might be tempting fate and a dire outcome for myself, but they usually end well for MOST of the passengers (just not whoever is killed or gets sick), lol.

If anyone has any suggestions of TV shows where the plot points revolve around a flight, specifically solving a crime, please feel free to let me know.
The movie '7500' was good.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The movie '7500' was good.

Thanks, I will check it out on the next flight. It looks like it is free with Amazon Prime, so hopefully I can download it in advance.

Oh, a good one I forgot is the Person of Interest flight episode, when Reese just keeps knocking out bad guys and stacking them up in bathrooms and such, lol.

Of course PoI is also just a good series in general to watch.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Showing my age here: how about The Twilight Zone episode with the gremlin on the wing, starring Captain Kirk? :laugh:

Reactions: danteipp

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Although not clear cut, it definitely appears that Tony was killed by Members Only guy. Meadow would have been in the line of fire and MO guy would probably not have followed through, but her delay in successfully parking gave him the opening. In the previous episode, Tony tells Carm that she and the family are safe as hitmen won't mess with families. If she was seated in the booth, it would have made MO guy's line of sight too hazardous for the shot.

Yeah I can definitely see that being the most likely scenario. I know my buddies and I debated that ending, which I'm sure is what the creators went for, but I think that's most plausible.

Reactions: beach

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Still waiting for Wayward Pines and Defiance to come back .. oh and a Stanley Cup too.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just watched the first Blade Runner. Good premise, really poorly executed.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This sounds like something they force you to watch, Clockwork Orange style, in the 9th circle of hell.

I am intrigued.
If you like British rom-coms, it's one of the best.

In 1953, he's a 20 year old soldier and she's a 19 year old nurse. The fall in love, but he's sent to Korea. He writes, but the letter is lost. She gets no letter so she assumes it's over. He gets no reply and assumes the same.

39 years later he returns to England, and they meet accidentally. That's where the series starts.

Dench and Palmer are both excellent actors, and the series is a lot of fun.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Just watched the first Blade Runner. Good premise, really poorly executed.
f5Mi77c.gif

Reactions: Konk

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Bad Sport on Netflix. As I'm sure most of you are sports enthusiasts you should really like it. The one on the South African cricketer and the one on Randy Lanier were particularly well done.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
My Name - Korean drama may or may not be showing up on your Netflix. It's really good. Starting to realize I like Korean drama style more and more and their emphasis on fleshing out the story rather than so much time spent on character building. That's probably why most Korean dramas are one season.
South Korea is such a fascinating country culturally speaking. Way outpunch their weight on an international basis in terms of cultural imprint and it all happened in the last 20 years or so. America could learn a lot from South Korea! On one hand you have the comparison to the North. I mean if you ever wanted a clear cut example of open and free markets leading being better than authoritarian closed regimes you'd be hard pressed to find a better example than South Korea. At the same time, Hallyu doesn't happen without massive government investment. It's been amazing to watch!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Yeah, although Korea walked that fine line of Authoritarian regime. I mean, the guy responsible for turning the country around did rule with an iron fist and was assassinated for it.

My favorite story is how in the 70's Korea was in debt to other countries and wanted to pay off the debt. They just asked the public to assist and people just brought money straight to their local city hall and the country paid off the debt. I can totally see ajummas and adjeossis pulling up to city hall with wheelbarrows of coins and handing them in to pay off the debt. The image i've created in my head seems pretty awesome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad