OT: Off-Topic Thread - 2018 - It's summertime summertime sum sum summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I hate Wheel of Fortune. Not that it's a bad show. I'm just terrible at it. I sit there and stare at the puzzle and never get the answers. Which is weird because I'm good at crosswords and I play wordscapes on my phone all the time.
Oh I suck at it too, my wife is great.

She sucks at Jeopardy, and I'm good at that.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Good Luck - My local hospital converted to Epic a year ago and it has not gone well.
They should have hired me!

In all seriousness, usually conversions like that go poorly because of operational decisions that tie the hands of analysts and builders like me. I'm curious though Kevin, what aspect isn't going well, the user experience for the providers, or the experience for the patients? both?

Reactions: Alicat and Kovi

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
We had a tornado warning as well yesterday afternoon- that storm covered a lot of ground! Furley & I took cover in the basement. Here he is under hubby’s reloading desk.
View attachment 121259

I was on my way to a shooting range yesterday, when I got the tornado warning. There was a guy in a bulldozer doing work up the hill at the range. I wanted to call him, to let him know at which range I will be shooting, but he got down off the hill in a hurry before I had any chance to do so. Literally, as we chatted, we heard several trees fall down. Funny enough there was no wind where we stood, but three hundred yards away it was strong enough to do some damage.

Reactions: sooshii and BMC

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
@Kate08 Annoying perhaps but NOBODY will ever beat this guy. He didn't cheat but somehow memorized the board.

That show was awesome back in the day

never knew this. There was a rematch of sorts:
Press Your Luck - Wikipedia
The story, and this strategy, were told in a two-hour documentary on GSN titled Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal in March 2003. GSN aired a special rematch edition of Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck, featuring the two runners-up from the show, host Tomarken and Michael Larson's brother James. (Michael Larson had died of throat cancer in 1999.)[13] In July 2010, Michael's brother James, and his former wife at the time of winning, were interviewed for PRI's This American Life for the episode Million Dollar Idea.[14]

His story was also told on the first episode of GSN's documentary series Cover Story in 2018.[15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Your_Luck#cite_note-15

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They should have hired me!

In all seriousness, usually conversions like that go poorly because of operational decisions that tie the hands of analysts and builders like me. I'm curious though Kevin, what aspect isn't going well, the user experience for the providers, or the experience for the patients? both?

The former patient portal is now called 'My Chart' but they have had problems importing archives into the system. They wanted it to be like Partners but so far not even close.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What I hate about Wheel is that the contestants are morons.

BOOKSH_LF

"I'd like to buy an E, Pat!"

YOU JUST THREW $250 AWAY YOU MORON

STOP BUYING FRICKIN VOWELS

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The former patient portal is now called 'My Chart' but they have had problems importing archives into the system. They wanted it to be like Partners but so far not even close.

The various Lahey clinics have been on "My Chart" for a few years now. I like it better than the previous system.

Reactions: Kovi

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

BOOKSH_LF

While some no doubt are morons.....it's easy to criticize from the couch where there is no pressure. On TV, in front of a live audience, it's exponentially harder to see what might be obvious to others.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

BOOKSH_LF

the real idiots are the ones that solve when there are multiples of letters still uncalled. like, there are 3 B's out there, freaking spin the wheel

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
So, been at the new job for about 5 days now. Still limited hours, but betting that will change soon. They are throwing all sorts of various marketing writing at me. They clearly need help catching up. So far so good.

CEO asked me to sing Patsy Cline songs and dance like Shakira with her today (slightly different than my last gig) :sarcasm:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My future husband right now:laugh::laugh:
"I'll fix your damn My Chart!"
Insert EpiCare Link conversation here ___________
#Optimizethatsh*t

I can't see Mighty Mouse without thinking of this.

It was the very first SNL and Andy was told not to do this routine by Lorne Michaels and in rehearsal he did not but when the show was live he did.

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
the real idiots are the ones that solve when there are multiples of letters still uncalled. like, there are 3 B's out there, freaking spin the wheel

Not necessarily. If you don't know your own strength, or don't consistently use the same force to turn the wheel, and there's some doubt as to whether you might end up landing on a "bankrupt" or "lose your turn" slot, you are better off solving it. If it's a prize puzzle, it doesn't matter how many multiples are left either. You solve it when you can.

If you spin, you better be 100% sure it's not going to land on a bad space......and few can anticipate the proper force required to make that happen.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Not necessarily. If you don't know your own strength, or don't consistently use the same force to turn the wheel, and there's some doubt as to whether you might end up landing on a "bankrupt" or "lose your turn" slot, you are better off solving it. If it's a prize puzzle, it doesn't matter how many multiples are left either. You solve it when you can.

If you spin, you better be 100% sure it's not going to land on a bad space......and few can anticipate the proper force required to make that happen.

What you do in this situation on Wheel is an excellent lesson in game theory. It's highly dependent on the value of what you win if you spin, versus the value of what you take home with you if you stop and get the puzzle correct. And all this depends on what round you're in, and what the score is.

If you have $7,000 at risk and it's close to the last round, and the top player has $10,000, spin until you hit at least $3,001 - your goal should be to get to the final round. Conversely, if you think you've got a good lead that will survive the final "speed up" round, lock it in ASAP. It's exactly what some psychs say not to do in hockey - in Wheel, when you're ahead, don't play offensively, play defensively.

Of course, to a degree I'm minimizing how awesome it would be to lock in a $7,000 consolation prize. But the bonus round prize is like, what, at least $35K, and up to $100K IIRC (unless you hit the million)? That's where a good portion of your expected value is - and losing $250 for a vowel isn't necessarily a bad thing if it helps you guess the next consonant correctly to maintain control of the wheel, AND if it helps you get to the bonus round.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I can't see Mighty Mouse without thinking of this.

It was the very first SNL and Andy was told not to do this routine by Lorne Michaels and in rehearsal he did not but when the show was live he did.

I still miss his sense of humor. I grew up watching his bits on SNL, the wrestling work and Letterman stuff with Lawler, and his stuff on Taxi. Guy was brilliant.

Reactions: Kovi

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
This is exactly the first thing I thought of after seeing the Clam diggers one...:laugh:

That's exactly what I thought, too...that episode of South Park was around 2007 IIRC. Which actually made me suspicious - it's almost too similar. Here's the isolated clip, with some YouTube comments:

Now, I know to take YouTube comments with a grain of salt, and I'm generally not one to shout fake, but....

Fake?

I'd put my money on fake over real. In a world where Jordan Peele and some tech folks can combine to make a fake Obama video that actually warns people about fake videos...I'm not sure that clip is real, for several reasons:

1) The silence is deafening. It's like they're giving time to let the shock come in.
2) The "N" guy just seems....like it's separate in terms of video.
3) Let's play logic. First letters to be picked? TRNSLE. Say they skip the "N". You get _L__ ____ER. The N is just begging to be picked, even if you buy an A making an N seem unlikely in the first word.
4) If this were ever actually ON Wheel of Fortune, the whole episode would probably wind up on the cutting room floor. Recreate it, and run the "portions of this episode may have been recreated" disclaimer that's necessary thanks to Standards and Practices and the Twenty-One/Quiz Show scandal. When the guy guesses "N", have him guess "B", or even "P".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad