News Article: Off topic - Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash. May he Rest In Peace

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He really was an ultimate icon. On the level of Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, etc

it’s a sad day. RIP

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He really was an ultimate icon. On the level of Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, etc

it’s a sad day. RIP

Yeah IMO the only guys in my lifetime who were ahead of him basketball wise were Jordan and Lebron. I remember him tearing through the Celtics to win the championship in 2010 - it may have been the best I’ve ever seen anyone in the NBA play.

Last edited:

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Really miss this guy. Saw him going to prom with brandy, then get his 3, then get his 81 point game, win 2 ships with pau, and then his retirement game

Watching him grow up from a kid with a fro to being bald. I admit. I cried

Reactions: Deuce22

Surfandhockey

May 20, 2017
Lifelong lakers fan, just liked Kobe’s tweet on congratulating bron from last nights passing him in scoring . Got out of the water today and couldn’t believe the texts I received ... still unbelievable/numbing . He seemed to really be excelling and settling nicely in retirement (not shocking) of course given his work ethic . Just horrible ..tragic . Idk what to say. .. I will at some point watch his short film this week when I am ready .

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
A lot of lives lost and ruined yesterday. Absolutely awful. Anything being done at hockey games, like a moment of silence or something?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah IMO the only guys in my lifetime who were ahead of him basketball wise were Jordan and Lebron. I remember him tearing through the Celtics to win the championship in 2010 - it may have been the best I’ve ever seen anyone in the NBA play.
Lebron and Jordan are/were both “better” than Kobe.

however, call me crazy, but there is not a single player I take over Kobe in a must win game. That guy defined clutch for damn near 20 years. And I don’t just say that because he died, I really believe it to be true

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
We are always talking about sports. Who is better, who is worse. This guy needs to retire and go. We have been taking things for granted. I apologize to all the people who i've insulted and trolled. We really should just enjoy what we have and lets watch a player's career finish, whereever the chips may lie. In the end, its just a game. Lets not take life for granted and cherish what we have before its gone.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lebron and Jordan are/were both “better” than Kobe.

however, call me crazy, but there is not a single player I take over Kobe in a must win game. That guy defined clutch for damn near 20 years. And I don’t just say that because he died, I really believe it to be true
In the playoffs there is no one better than Kobe. He was only 32 when he got his 5th ring. He was the kind of guy who would play thru an injury.
Kobe got his last 2 rings while being the only superstar on the team. Lebron has superstar Anthony Davis with him this year and he won 2 with the Heat when they had 3 superstars.

NBA 2K20 is gonna be remembered as the last NBA video game to feature Kobe Bryant. I won't be getting 2K21 unless he's in it.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Lots of loss of friends and family in the Orange County community. Quite a few coworkers knew people on board. Condolences to all the families involved in the tragedy.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
RIP to all the souls who were on that helicopter.

It's incredibly sad and I feel gutted even though I did not know any of those who perished; so many who were lost too young or in the prime of their lives, all with so much more to live. I haven't followed the Lakers for a while now, but Kobe meant so much to the organization and to southern California even after his retirement, that his loss feels indescribable.

I re-read his poem and watched his animated short film "Dear Basketball" (crying through both) and they are of course more poignant today than when he said his goodbye to his professional basketball career.

.....But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.
This season is all I have left to give.
My heart can take the pounding
My mind can handle the grind
But my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.

And that’s OK.
I’m ready to let you go.
I want you to know now
So we both can savor every moment we have left together.
The good and the bad.
We have given each other
All that we have.

The last frames of the film are of Kobe walking into the tunnel away from the court and he disappears into a bright light and ends with "Love you always, Kobe." Presumably, when the film was made, he was walking away from the bright lights of professional basketball into the unknown, but no less brilliant possibilities of life after basketball. After yesterday, the ending of this film is more than bittersweet.

Dear Basketball – Believe Entertainment Group

Last edited:

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Some dude saying Kobe was just another overpaid athlete on the mainboards smh I almost went off but didn’t wanna get banned.

Kobe was the goat to a lot of people. To me especially

Reactions: AngelDuck

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Some dude saying Kobe was just another overpaid athlete on the mainboards smh I almost went off but didn’t wanna get banned.

Kobe was the goat to a lot of people. To me especially

some of the posts on Twitter were horrific. I didn’t realize how many shit people existed until i read some of the posts reacting to the initial news.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
People talk about Kobe's career which is all good and well, but the absolute tragedy is that the world was robbed of his second career which had the potential to be even more meaningful and impactful that his first. He had the ear of the world and the ability to bring people together better than anyone alive today. We needed that more than ever today. :cry:

Reactions: Paul4587

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Absolutely hated Kobe as a player, not just because I hate the Lakers, but because of the way he played. But since he's retired, seeing and hearing so many things from him over the last few years, I think you'd be hard pressed to not find him extremely endearing and likable. He just seemed like a really good dude who went above and beyond to help the community and those who crossed his path. And regardless of his past, he also seemed like a great family guy who his kids worshiped. That's not a given, especially for star athletes or celebrities.

Just really heartbreaking. I guess the good thing is the more you hear from witness accounts, etc. the more it seems like everything happened really fast and maybe without much notice. That's way better than something like the helicopter having mechanical problems and the passengers knowing for minutes that they were going to crash. The thought of those kids seeing something like that coming, and trying to imagine what was going on, would tear me apart.

An extremely sad day for the OC community as well, with all the victims living somewhere close by. John Altobelli coached at OCC, which is right down the road from me. And the assistant basketball coach who was on the helictoper, was a HB resident who resided not very far from me either. Feel extremely sad for their families, who lost a mother, a father, or a sister, or in one case all three.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Lakers host TrailBlazers tonight. Traffic is going to be tough. Thousands outside already memorializing Kobe’s passing. Just thought I would give a heads up if you’re heading that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad