Off season workout for an 8 year old?

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
Hi there. Just wondering if off ice training would benefit my 8 year old son. He loves to play hockey and his dream as of right now is to play in the NHL. He doesn't want to play any other sport this year except hockey. He wants to become better at every aspect of his game.

I have been looking into getting an agility ladder and having him do some plyo (no weights as he is too young). Also he would stick handle and shoot off of a shooting pad in the garage. Do you think that the ladder and plyo is to much for an 8 year old? I feel it would help him to get better, but also get him outside and enjoy the warm weather when it finally gets here. I made him a deal that if he would do it, I also would be right there doing it with him. I feel like I should lead by example and it would help my game also.

So I am asking for opinions if this is a good idea. Thanks for any help.

micust

Mar 5, 2010
If he's the one wanting to do it, why do you have to make a deal that you'll do it with him. Are you sure it's not you who wants him to train to get better, and your dream for him to play in the NHL?

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I have a 9 year old who want's to be a NHL Goalie. Lacrosse baseball and soccer are good off season sports for him to get better skills and eye hand agility. As far as off season training focused on hockey only ball hockey and 3 on 3 ice hockey and power skating. The skating is most important thing that an 8 year old needs to work on.

With everything said things change quickly for kids and their hopes and dreams. Skating lessons and equipment, extra ice time, camps and books all get expensive at this age.
The best thing you can do for your kid is give him as much Ice time as he is willing to accept and positive reinforcement. Try to make any work out with your son fun before anything else.

It's funny but there are 15 year old kids playing AAA hockey who started playing at age 10 or 11 with kids who have been on the ice from the age of 3.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
If he's the one wanting to do it, why do you have to make a deal that you'll do it with him. Are you sure it's not you who wants him to train to get better, and your dream for him to play in the NHL?

Micust,

It is all him. I will not push my kids into anything they do not want to do, well maybe except homework. I thought this would be a great way for us both to get better at hockey and also get out and get some exercise. This is why I made that deal. I figured when he says he wants to be the best, this would help him.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I have a 9 year old who want's to be a NHL Goalie. Lacrosse baseball and soccer are good off season sports for him to get better skills and eye hand agility. As far as off season training focused on hockey only ball hockey and 3 on 3 ice hockey and power skating. The skating is most important thing that an 8 year old needs to work on.

With everything said things change quickly for kids and their hopes and dreams. Skating lessons and equipment, extra ice time, camps and books all get expensive at this age.
The best thing you can do for your kid is give him as much Ice time as he is willing to accept and positive reinforcement. Try to make any work out with your son fun before anything else.

It's funny but there are 15 year old kids playing AAA hockey who started playing at age 10 or 11 with kids who have been on the ice from the age of 3.
Pretty much agree with this. If ice time isn't quite the option then just try to get him involved in some physical activities not necessarily training. Just physical activities is enough for kids at that age and helps them out in more areas than just the physical part of it.

Great to see your kid wanting to further develop himself at such a young age.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Baseball.

I can't tell you how many friends I know who had kids that were absolutely ga-ga for hockey and demanded to do something hockey related 12-months out of the year.
By the time these kids hit highschool, nearly everyone wanted nothing to do with the game anymore.

The only ones that did were the ones that were forced to play a different sport in the offseason.

By the time September rolled around, they were salivating to get on the ice. Their love for the game never diminished because they were forced to get a break from it.

8-year-olds don't know what's good for them. Besides, they might end up loving soccer, baseball, lacrosse or basketball.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hi there. Just wondering if off ice training would benefit my 8 year old son. He loves to play hockey and his dream as of right now is to play in the NHL. He doesn't want to play any other sport this year except hockey. He wants to become better at every aspect of his game.

I have been looking into getting an agility ladder and having him do some plyo (no weights as he is too young). Also he would stick handle and shoot off of a shooting pad in the garage. Do you think that the ladder and plyo is to much for an 8 year old? I feel it would help him to get better, but also get him outside and enjoy the warm weather when it finally gets here. I made him a deal that if he would do it, I also would be right there doing it with him. I feel like I should lead by example and it would help my game also.

So I am asking for opinions if this is a good idea. Thanks for any help.

Go easy on the plyo. Some of the forces can get pretty high at times as well.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Work on compound exercises to increase overall and core strength.

Squats, Thrusters, or anything that deals with a push/pull/press involving multiple muscles, i.e. Rows, etc.

Your best bang for time and results will be focused around compound movements. Make sure he's not doing a ton of sets either. Even 3-5 sets TOTAL each day a few days a week will pay off if it's compound.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Get him or make him a slide board. He will love sliding on it and it is great for lengthing his stride. I made my son one years ago. I've used it a lot too to strengthen my quads.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
Little league

Thank you for all the replies.

Baseball is out. He has played it for the last 2 years and he hates it. It's to boring for him. I made him finish out the season last year to teach him he has to honor his comitments and it was a strugle. He will be playing football in the fall again, but that is the only other sport besides hockey he shows an intrest in.

Jul 10, 2010

Baseball is out. He has played it for the last 2 years and he hates it. It's to boring for him. I made him finish out the season last year to teach him he has to honor his comitments and it was a strugle. He will be playing football in the fall again, but that is the only other sport besides hockey he shows an intrest in.

Does he play outfield? At that age, playing outfield is very boring as most kids lack the power to hit it past second base.

Once he hits the 11-12 age group and the kids begin to hit balls into the outfield it becomes a much more exciting game.

Hell i'd even try getting him to try pitching, or catching as they are always in the game and never get bored. 1st base also is involved alot.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Lacrosse. Same sort of dynamics as hockey. It'll toughen him up and it'll also be GREAT for his cardio.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Gymnastics are good. Strength, balance, agility, coordination, focus. It also doesn't hurt to have an individual sport as well as a team sport, they teach different things.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
If he's around a lot of kids his age, nothing wrong with some road hockey. A little break from all of the training won't do him any wrong.
I was always told that the best thing you can do at a young age is skate. His skating needs to be excellent in order to get initial interest. Public skates are good options if available.
So are power skating or figure skating classes. I know how "gay" figure skating can be to some people, but I took a few years of it along with annual power skating courses and my skating improved extensively.

I hated power skating every time because there weren't any pucks and there were ringette players there as well but it pays off.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Leading by example could be huge in his development or could also bring him a step back. At 8 years old the concept of training off ice to get better on ice isn't seen through the same perspective as an adult. He may get tired of doing it relatively fast and if he does don't push him too hard because if he associates off ice training (and isn't ready for it) with on ice hockey he will be at risk of losing his desire and drive to play. You doing it with him lessens this risk and if you make it fun it could actually increase his desire. You have to do it right... 8 years old is too young for weights, but things like plyometrics, sprint races, and ladders are find, but again: only if it is seen pleasurable from your sons eyes. If he hates it don't force it on him... let him do what he wants.

Also, best type of training for his age is just playing the game of hockey and other sports. He should try out other sorts like soccer, football, basketball, e.t.c. because the skills acquired in those sports transfer over to hockey and they are also fun to play. Plus, kids that play more than one sport are at a MUCH greater advantage than the other kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad