Speculation: Off season wish list

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Here goes:

At the draft-No real interest in moving up to 2 or 3 OA just to pick a winger, no matter how talented they may be. As most agree, our major needs are on the blue line and down the middle so my choice(s) at number 6 would be Dobson/Bouchard/Hughes/Kotkaniemi/Tkachuk. Have absolutely NO interest in Boqvist and his concussion history.

Kandre Miller and Kevin Bahl are players who might be available at 33 and 36. A name that has caught my attention is Serron Noel. In mock drafts, I have seen him being picked as early as 14 OA by Philly while also have seen him slide to early second round, so he might be available at 30.

Can not see either Tavares or J. Carlson(Caps) being interested in signing with the Wings. Not likely to be involved in any trade with Ottawa involving Karlsson.

Hire Adam Oates to run Power Play.

Waive Witkowski.

Trade Nielsen(to Mtl for a 2nd rd. pick)

Make a play for Grubauer as long as the cost is not too high-if not then sign one of the Ufa's like Bernier, Hutton, Khudobin and,when Philly refuses to qualify him, Mrazek.

Re-sign our RFAs(Larkin/AA/Mantha/Bert/Frk)

Cannot over state how much I am firmly opposed to resigning Mike Green and David Booth and/or signing UFA's like Kovalchuk and Vanek. No, no-a thousand times no. Not worried as much about cap space as I am about roster spots. It's time to find out just where we are when it comes our youngsters like(in no particular order) Hicketts, Cholo, Svetch, Hronek, Pope, Turgeon and Russo. Rasmussen is the big question mark-he either makes the big team or goes back to junior as he cannot be assigned to Grand Rapids.

Given my mojo with the Hockey Gods, almost guarantees that none of this will happen.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
The D sucks and there are plenty of holes but the biggest needs for this team are at the coaching and GM positions and that ain't happening this off season.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
a draft that doesn't suck and no moves other than bringing back RFAs and bargain hunting the UFA market for a backup goalie

sadly I feel like i'm probably asking for too much even here

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Don't want to trade up to 2 or 3 no matter how good the wingers, but want Noel at 30? That's a little odd. Don't think we need to take the "big guy" this year...

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Just don't spend money at UFA beyond a back up goalie please. I also hope that in 3-5 years we will look back at this draft with fond memories (3-4 players found).

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd rather keep Nielsen, we need solid 3 rd line center
I wish we bring new coach, who makes them play hard and smart.

I believe we just got solid backup from Slovakian national team
Kroner needs to retire
Bring more pics,by trade

Reactions: Larkin1578

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'd rather keep Nielsen, we need solid 3 rd line center
I wish we bring new coach, who makes them play hard and smart.

I believe we just got solid backup from Slovakian national team
Kroner needs to retire
Bring more pics,by trade
That goalie will be lucky if he makes the ECHL team. Hes no back up for the wings. Get something for AA and Gus don't bring in a bunch of UFA just a back up.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
If we can get John Carlson as a top line D man I would be ok with breaking the bank for him. If not let the young guys play. No more vet band aids like Mike Green, Vanek, Kovalchk (unless we trade Gus), etc.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Here's my wish-list:

1.The draft:
Draft Boqvist/Dobson/Hughes at 6. If it's any of the other consensus top 10: fine, but those are my three preferences (in that order).

Draft a high potential, high skill D (Sandin/Merkley/Tychonick/Lundkvist/etc.) and two high potential forwards (Berggren/Dellandrea/Olofsson/etc.) with our other top 40 picks.

Go for high potential, high skill picks throughout the draft and rebuild our pool's forward depth with our later picks. Guys like Iskhakov are ideal after the top 40. Throw a pick at a goalie or two in the 3rd+

2. Free agency:
Don't sign anyone that doesn't get moved at this deadline.

Green is fine on two years max I guess-but I'd prefer to just let some kids play.

Sign a bargain backup if we don't want Coreau to do it.

3.Kids:
Promote Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Sulak to start the year.

Give our 6OA and Hronek a chance to make it. If Hronek doesn't, he better play 40+ games after his midseason callup where he makes it obvious he should have made it to start the year as well.

Turgeon and Hicketts should get their shot too...but I don't see much upside there so I don't care too much.

4.Vets
Bury/trade/LTIR/sit anyone and everyone that gets outplayed by a kid regardless of salary and such. Remember "tie goes to the vet," it better be tie goes to the kid this year... and those "ties" better be just as easy to come by as they used to be.

Reactions: martinez

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Draft really really well.
Stay quiet in free agency.
Be open to trading roster players if it makes sense.

Overall, be supremely focused on long term success. The team already stinks, so don't look for shortcuts to get another 100 people checking out the concourse.

Reactions: StargateSG1

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Here's my wish-list:

1.The draft:
Draft Boqvist/Dobson/Hughes at 6. If it's any of the other consensus top 10: fine, but those are my three preferences (in that order).

Draft a high potential, high skill D (Sandin/Merkley/Tychonick/Lundkvist/etc.) and two high potential forwards (Berggren/Dellandrea/Olofsson/etc.) with our other top 40 picks.

Go for high potential, high skill picks throughout the draft and rebuild our pool's forward depth with our later picks. Guys like Iskhakov are ideal after the top 40. Throw a pick at a goalie or two in the 3rd+

2. Free agency:

Green is fine on two years max I guess-but I'd prefer to just let some kids play.

3.Kids:

Give our 6OA and Hronek a chance to make it. If Hronek doesn't, he better play 40+ games after his midseason callup where he makes it obvious he should have made it to start the year as well.

Turgeon and Hicketts should get their shot too...but I don't see much upside there so I don't care too much.

4.Vets
Bury/trade/LTIR/sit anyone and everyone that gets outplayed by a kid regardless of salary and such. Remember "tie goes to the vet," it better be tie goes to the kid this year... and those "ties" better be just as easy to come by as they used to be.

Agree with everything, but Boqvist. Substitute Bouchard and I'm with you.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Here's my wish-list:

1.The draft:

2. Free agency:

3.Kids:

4.Vets
I know this isn't the draft thread but what is it that you really like about Boqvist? I'm curious.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I know this isn't the draft thread but what is it that you really like about Boqvist? I'm curious.

I think he's got the complete offensive package to be one of the premier offensive D in the NHL. He has a great wrist shot that he gets through traffic and places extremely well. I think that's even more valuable than the huge slapper (which he can also do). I think he has some of the best vision and passing in the draft. He'll be under pressure in his end, maneuver for a bit of space and put it on a teammate's stick through three defenders for a break completely surprising everyone. I just love seeing players with that kind of offensive instinct. He can stickhandle and skate well enough to lead the breakout too. Just a really great offensive toolkit.

I'm not too worried about his defensive play because he's just so young and I think he has more than enough time to develop that area of his game. He definitely moves out of position in the D-zone looking for a chance at an offensive break, and gets overpowered by stronger guys. Like Bouchard he sometimes looks disinterested in the D-zone but less so. Besides that I think he has the right reads, and understanding of defense, he just needs maturity, size and experience IMO.

The concussions are unfortunate and definitely scare me. He was already boom-bust, now it's even more.

Honestly moreso than it's even that I'm confident that he's the best prospect among those that are available, he's the prospect that I enjoy watching the most.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad