Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season VI: It's no longer the off-season, but the thread isn't done yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's a really good deal Zona signed.

15 million a year for a switch hitting super swiss army knife with legit pop when healthy? Yes please.

The only thing that would make sense here is Marte either likes Arizona or he's not 100% sure he can regain that 2019 form.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Screenshot (45).png

Shaun Anderson starting

Reactions: Morgs

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Should be a good AAA-AAAA rotation. Enough guys with experience and recent good performance to feel okay.

Any word on Joey Murray’s health this spring?
Or Jackson Rees?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I was hoping it would be Espinal 2B, Biggio RF, Hernandez CF on Springer off days. I guess I need to mentally prepare my self for Montoyo to over use Tapia this year.
I'm perfectly fine with Tapia getting a shot at CF when Springer isn't there, at least until he proves he can't do it. He was a CF through the minors and the Rockies never really gave him a shot there, though the numbers are excellent in a tiny (almost meaninglessly so) sample.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
ESPN gave the Jays a C for their offseason, lol.

Toronto Blue Jays

Additions/re-signings: Kevin Gausman, Matt Chapman, Yusei Kikuchi, Yimi Garcia, Raimel Tapia

The Blue Jays add Gausman and Chapman but lose Cy Young winner Ray and second baseman Semien, third in the MVP vote. In terms of 2021 numbers, that's a drop from 14.0 combined WAR from Ray and Semien to 8.7 for Gausman and Chapman. To be fair, Ray and Semien weren't likely to post those numbers again. I would be a little concerned that Gausman and Kikuchi move from pitcher-friendly home parks to the AL East -- and it's worth noting that both weren't as effective after the pitch-grip crackdown, with Gausman posting a 4.42 ERA in the second half and Kikuchi 5.98. Chapman's defense at third is as good as it gets, although a left-handed bat would have fit better in the righty-heavy lineup.

Grade: C

Reds B-, Red Sox get a C+, Angels get a C+ - all makes sense that these teams have a higher grade than the Jays.

And the teams that pretty much did nothing have the same grade as the Jays; Padres, Astros and Rays. Astros just lost an MVP candidate and replaced him with a prospect.

Reactions: Cloned

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm perfectly fine with Tapia getting a shot at CF when Springer isn't there, at least until he proves he can't do it. He was a CF through the minors and the Rockies never really gave him a shot there, though the numbers are excellent in a tiny (almost meaninglessly so) sample.
I mean Hernandez(cf)+Biggio(rf)+Espinal (2b) is probably better then Tapia(cf)+Hernandez(rf)+Biggio (2b) but I'm just speculating. I just hope Montoyo can go with the hot bat and adjust to the best lineup possible which I'm not that confident in. I guess I'm more concerned about Montoyo then the players them selves. Tapia should do fine in CF, I just don't have confidence in Montoyo to not over use him if he isn't good.

Reactions: Discoverer

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
f*** that sucks we didn't even get a Moreno AB.

He can still get into a game. Assigning them to the minors doesn’t prevent that. I would think it’s more of a pruning the group down for workouts and practice reps they’re going to want the normal group together and the minor groups together. The starting guys still aren’t going to be playing 9 innings every day so some minor league guys will still come along and play

I was more surprised Palacios got optioned. I didn’t think he would make the team but I thought he’d be in consideration enough that he’s be one of the final cuts

Reactions: Morgs

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I mean, they lost 2 guys that combined for 14 WAR. It’s not unreasonable. The two guys essentially replacing them had 8.9 WAR.

They also started the season last year with Tanner Roark as their #5. They should automatically receive a B grade for that.

Reactions: howlman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad