Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season V: Baseball's back and so are blockbusters (Jays send 4 prospects to A's for 3B Matt Chapman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
4yxbhjf2wsp81.jpg

Not sure SDS understands the meaning of "face of the franchise" but sure i guess.

pe70e121htp81.png

This card probably gets lit up because of the low velocity but cool to see Manoah get some recognition.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
How is anything that's been said cancel culture? It was a stupid mistake and hopefully it wasn't a bad one. Like maybe he just blew over. I'm not saying fire him but that's certainly a possibility
I tend to agree. A few years back I don't necessarily think a DUI would elicit "fire" talk as it would trying to get the person some much needed help.

I think, as mentioned by a poster, it's the sponsors who likely will be the ones who force the team's hand.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Because he committed a crime, and usually when a Canadian commits a crime they can't cross the border for x amount of time. I assume it's the same for Americans. Not to mention how it can be a distraction and set a bad example in the organization, and send the wrong message to players and fans if they don't do anything about it?

Not exactly rocket science here. I'm not saying "they should fire him" I'm wondering if they will.
Walker is not getting fired.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If this is a first offence and he didn't do anything super egregious (we already know he didn't hurt/kill anyone, so that's the big one) he's almost certainly not getting fired. He probably gets fined and suspended pending completion of either a treatment program (if this is a sign that he has issues with drinking) or some sort of education program to help him make better choices (if this was a one-off mistake).

It's also probably an opportunity for him to partner with MADD or whoever to use this incident as way for him to engage with the community about the dangers and not doing what he did.

If it turns out this is just the first publicly recognized offence in a string of issues dating back before now, then yeah he would (and should) get fired.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not going to say DUI is good (my uncle has been nailed for it a couple times) but in the world of pro sports, there's far bigger scumbags who have done worse that have been/were allowed to continue their careers with little to no penalty. DeShaun Watson, Evander Kane, Jason Kidd, etc.

Make it a teachable moment. If he does it again fire his ass.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Difficult cuz i love what Pete's done with our Pitchers over the Years, but i think he'll be let go.
Still not sure where all this praise is coming from. He took some former all-star pitchers and reminded them they're all-stars. Plenty of pitchers like Thornton, Kay, Foley, and Zeuch have come through this system and not benefited at all from his "tutelage". Heck, Pearson has gotten worse the more he pitches in the majors. I want the coach that makes EVERY pitcher better, not just the ones with S-tier stuff.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Still not sure where all this praise is coming from. He took some former all-star pitchers and reminded them they're all-stars. Plenty of pitchers like Thornton, Kay, Foley, and Zeuch have come through this system and not benefited at all from his "tutelage". Heck, Pearson has gotten worse the more he pitches in the majors. I want the coach that makes EVERY pitcher better, not just the ones with S-tier stuff.
You will literally never find that pitching coach. Arm talent matters along with coaching. There wasn't a pitching coach in the world that could have turned Deck McGuire into an ace for example.

Reactions: Discoverer

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
If this is a first offence and he didn't do anything super egregious (we already know he didn't hurt/kill anyone, so that's the big one) he's almost certainly not getting fired. He probably gets fined and suspended pending completion of either a treatment program (if this is a sign that he has issues with drinking) or some sort of education program to help him make better choices (if this was a one-off mistake).

It's also probably an opportunity for him to partner with MADD or whoever to use this incident as way for him to engage with the community about the dangers and not doing what he did.

If it turns out this is just the first publicly recognized offence in a string of issues dating back before now, then yeah he would (and should) get fired.
This is fair and reasonable I believe.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
People facing consequences for crimes is now "cancel culture"?

Trying to keep up with you reactionaries who are obsessed with the cancel culture boogeyman
I think what he's getting at is the people saying he should be suspended and lose his job etc.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Looks like we are taking the McGuire approach to Walker. Keep quiet and let it die out on its own after a few days before getting a slap on the wrist to say we did something.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Looks like we are taking the McGuire approach to Walker. Keep quiet and let it die out on its own after a few days before getting a slap on the wrist to say we did something.
Regardless of what happens, you don't make a decision until you know all the facts.

Reactions: stickty111

TGB

Jun 7, 2021

I don't see the relevancy of that comparison. One is a federal crime. The other barely qualifies as mischief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad