Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Holmes*

So Karlsson gets excused for having terrible partners but Spezza doesn't

This is especially glaring once you see how great he was once Hemsky was brought in

A defenseman who plays almost half the game is obviously going to be on the ice for more goals against than a forward that plays less than a third of the game.

The fact that Spezza has even worse numbers than Karlsson does says a lot.

Ek didn't have a great season. The team overall sucked. This is not news. Yes Spezza played better near the end of the year too.

He still doesn't scare me at all as a Leaf. Yeah he'll get his points and he'll win games wherever he is. He'll help them lose some as well.

I just don't understand how anyone can fear Spezza as an opponent.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Spezza for Shattenkirk,
Shattenkirk for O'Reilly,
Sign Niskanen and Jokinen from (signing Jokinen in place of Michalek allows Lazar time to learn wing at NHL level) Pittsburgh,
Greening, Smith, Weircoch traded

Cap Payroll $51,798,167

Jokinen - O'Reilly - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Condra
Lazar - Grant - Neil

Karlsson - Niskanen
Methot - Cowen
Borowiecki - Ceci
Phillips

Anderson
Lehner

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
Spezza for Shattenkirk,
Shattenkirk for O'Reilly,
Sign Niskanen and Jokinen from (signing Jokinen in place of Michalek allows Lazar time to learn wing at NHL level) Pittsburgh,
Greening, Smith, Weircoch traded

Cap Payroll $51,798,167

Jokinen - O'Reilly - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Condra
Lazar - Grant - Neil

Karlsson - Niskanen
Methot - Cowen
Borowiecki - Ceci
Phillips

Anderson
Lehner

Spezza won't get Shattenkirk straight up, and Shattenkirk wouldn't get O'Rielly straight up. We could probably do something like Spezza + Wiercioch for Shattenkirk + STL 2nd 2014,

Then trade Shattenkirk + OTT 2nd + Puempel for O'Rielly . Trade Smith + Borowiecki + STL 2nd for Leddy.

Trade Michalek + Hemsky rights for Jokinen + conditional 2015 5th rounder. (We shouldn't sign Niskanen, he will get really overpaid).

Defence:

Leddy - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
A defenseman who plays almost half the game is obviously going to be on the ice for more goals against than a forward that plays less than a third of the game.

Ek didn't have a great season. The team overall sucked. This is not news. Yes Spezza played better near the end of the year too.

He still doesn't scare me at all as a Leaf. Yeah he'll get his points and he'll win games wherever he is. He'll help them lose some as well.

How could you possibly not understand why we would be scared if we were trading our best offensive player to our fiercest rival? Spezza makes 30/30 teams in the NHL better, I don't see how anyone could realistically make the case otherwise unless the team has given up star assets in exchange (unlikely).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How could you possibly not understand why we would be scared if we were trading our best offensive player to our fiercest rival? Spezza makes 30/30 teams in the NHL better, I don't see how anyone could realistically make the case otherwise unless the team has given up star assets in exchange (unlikely).

Lmao it blows my mind how some fans can't see this.

We would literally be giving Toronto an EIGHTY...80! point player. That is insane when you look at how close the margin to get into the playoffs is

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If Karlsson doesn't clean up his defense we are toast.

As Maclean said we need Karlsson to play his 30 mins for OUR side. Not for both sides

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
looking at some past deals for stars:

Gaborik to CBJ for Brassard + Moore + Dorsett

Nash to NYR for Dubinsky + Anisimov + Erixon

Contracts were different but that is probably comparable to something like

Berglund + Rattie + Bottom 6 player
Bonino+DSP/Etem+ bottom 6 player

Berglund + Sobotka + Cole?

Something around that is fair to say?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I guess there are two types of people;

Those who have the foresight to see that this year was not the norm, and can look past that to see the potential for Spezza to play like he did in 11/12, and those with the memory of a goldfish who can only see how Spezza played coming off back surgery and a missed season, assuming that that will be the norm for the foreseeable future.

Sure it's possible that Spezza's injuries have cause long term ramifications, but if you can't see the potential for Spezza coming back to haunt us, then I have to question your foresight.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
looking at some past deals for stars:

Gaborik to CBJ for Brassard + Moore + Dorsett

Nash to NYR for Dubinsky + Anisimov + Erixon

Contracts were different but that is probably comparable to something like

Berglund + Rattie + Bottom 6 player
Bonino+DSP/Etem+ bottom 6 player

Berglund + Sobotka + Cole?

Something around that is fair to say?

Well it sounds like Murray values the pick and prospect more than meh roster players.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Because he's good at the sport of ice hockey.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't care where we trade him. We make the trade that makes our team better. We need to take the best deal available. In my eyes. If spezza comes back to beat us a few times in the regular season over the next few seasons then so be it. We need to look after ourselves long term though from our perspective.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
OK I'll play.

In almost 9 minutes more ice time per game, Karlsson had 43 points ESP and was a - 15.

He also had to deal with numerous and often terrible partners, floaters like Spezza and Michalek turning the puck over constantly, GSN getting hemmed in to the zone for entire shifts and subpar goaltending.

Completely different situations.

Spezza: +/- per 60 On -0.94 , +/- per 60 Off +0.14
Karlsson: +/- per 60 On 0.00 , +/- per 60 Off -0.16

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't care where we trade him. We make the trade that makes our team better. We need to take the best deal available. In my eyes. If spezza comes back to beat us a few times in the regular season over the next few seasons then so be it. We need to look after ourselves long term though from our perspective.

it isnt just about beating us which is still a ton of point

toronto would be beating other teams now with a top center. to get into the playoffs you need to beat your division not the east.

If Spezza is good for another 5 years that is potentially 5 years of us getting smacked by toronto. From a PR and a team standpoint it isn't worth it. Playoffs = money and bad PR = less money

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
so we should feed them our talent?

Ya cause Chara and his Boston Bruins smacking us and winning a cup over the years isnt enough

Spezza is the type of player I have no problem playing against.

Plus we get assets back as well btw

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If we get kadri + back. That makes us better long term. Yeah I can guarentee spezza probably getting a 2 PPG against us for the next 2-3 years

John Holmes*

Wow this Spezza cat sounds like a hell of a player. Maybe we should keep him or something.

Someone organize a rally.

Droc

Classless
Jul 17, 2010
In my house.
Lmao it blows my mind how some fans can't see this.

We would literally be giving Toronto an EIGHTY...80! point player. That is insane when you look at how close the margin to get into the playoffs is

Agreed.

Like him or hate him, he consistently puts up the points.
No matter what we do with Spezza, we will be lucky to get someone who puts up half his points, and on a team that cant put up points, that just moves us down more.
Spezza is a pain, but I dont see how we can afford to take that much out of our point totals.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza for Shattenkirk,
Shattenkirk for O'Reilly,=

This is what I really want. Get Shattenkirk somehow and flip him for O'Reilly.

Yes, our defense will be better with Shattenkirk but I believe our offense needs O'Reilly much much more.

Btw, Hemmer, we should definitely be able to get Shattenkirk straight up. I'm willing to add a lot by Shattenkirk to get O'Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad